how do you mix?

- open
eyliusevil
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by eyliusevil »

2 vestax decks and a pioneer 300...i'm on a budget...

In terms of how i mix i generally keep the Eq's of the track that is playing at 12 o'clock but when another track is coming in the mids and highs stay at 12 while the low is at 9 or so. While bringing the track in, the bass of the other track i try to slightly turn down so that the low frequencys dont clash and eventually start to turn up the low of the track coming in and bring down the low of the track that im mixing out of. When the low frequencys have been switched i gradually turn down the track thats being mixed out of along with messing with the high and mid frequencys so that those frequencys of the track that has been brought in can become a lot more noticeable. And thats about it...
werdtoyourmoms
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by werdtoyourmoms »

kind of surprising, i thought most people here were all digital.

i find myself slowly bringing in the mids from the new record while slowly decreasing the highs on the first, then bringing in the new highs.

for a more booming transition i'll cut the bass and max out the highs on the first record before dumping all the bass in on the second.

i find myself wanting to mix records too quickly. i need to let them play longer.
adelaideperson
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by adelaideperson »

3x1200 + vestax pcv175 mixer although haven't been using the third deck much lately..

long slow drawn out trainwrecks then dropping in the bass at the crucial moment..

:shock:
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

2 or 3 techs and one axis 9 cd table (for samples). right now i use a djm 3000 but i'd like to get a a&h 464 for both live pa and djing...
Dàsz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dàsz »

This is how I mix :lol:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/387967/djing_at_home/

Only reloop sh*t :oops:
fl0w
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by fl0w »

Dàsz wrote:Only reloop sh*t :oops:
apparently it's not a problem for you!
and your desk has faders which dont cut the sound too fast, nice for long transitions.

Hmm I've created this topic and I don't think I've talked about myself!
I have a pair of Pioneer CDJ-500S (I think they're called CDJ-700 in the US) and a DJM-200, a pair of Prodipe Pro8 monitors and a Sennheiser HD-25.

I'm still a beginner :oops: so I'm happy when I can beatmatch, but generally I do 1 to 2 minutes transitions, with some cuts here or there. I almost never touch the tracks between transitions, first because I have hard times trying to beatmatch the next one :lol: and also because I like the tracks I play! But it's amazing to hear you mix 3 tracks together without causing a total mess...
:.: : :: : :.: .:. :.
Dàsz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dàsz »

I'm also a beginner, I only bought the deck one month ago, so I can't play vinyl for now...the cdjs I bought them +/- one year ago!

I don't know if reloop is worst then the other brands, because I only played two times with different material and since I'm used to reloop, it's easy for me! I just said that because it is what I hear from the other people.
and your desk has faders which dont cut the sound too fast, nice for long transitions.
Yes, that was one of the things I had difficulty when I experienced new material :wink:
thelibrarian
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by thelibrarian »

My mixing technique:

-Filters, filters, and then a few more filters.
-Cut the bass and ride the highs until it makes the crowd itchy.
-Keep my feet off of the floor.
-Scream.
-Spit.
-Repeat.

Equipment:

-I like Xone:62s.
-I like Technics Turntables.
-I like Vestax Turntables.
-I like laptops with Serato installed.
-I like venues that have Serato.