Minimal with Live 6

- ask away
tzusing
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tzusing »

milc wrote:surely 6 months are not enough to know all about an application.
i'm feeling like there's no more mystery on this clip/session view all the time.

it's more like, if i want to or not. (to still wait a mystery)
Reaktor is still a mystery for me though.. :)

but isn't that a good thing? to get over the freaking "mystery" so you can get on with making music? i mean... if you were painting..u def don't want ur tools to be a mystery to you.
fromkaraoketostardom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by fromkaraoketostardom »

Mystery - Accidents - mistakes that's what makes it fun, surprising & inspiring
milc
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by milc »

but isn't that a good thing? to get over the freaking "mystery" so you can get on with making music? i mean... if you were painting..u def don't want ur tools to be a mystery to you.
surely, using tools doesn't have to be a mystery.(it's all in the manual!! :D )
but what i meant "mystery" is,
the hidden part where it generate frequencies that we can listen or NOT.
the tiny part where coincident with other elements and make those subtile changes...
i think working on minimal techno is kinda dealing with these "mini" elements..so "mini" that we can't even hear..

one funny experience!
there's an Ableton skin which we can't see waveforms...etc.

http://sonictransfer.com/ableton-live-skins/
cyborgk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by cyborgk »

aallvor wrote:
ShereKhan wrote:
aallvor wrote:Since you already spent money on Live, maybe you should try it some more before you decide to ditch it!
I dont mean to ditch it, just saying what could be better.
Forget 'better', you can make releasable material on anything that's a step up from Ejay. Honestly.

But, if you're unhappy about the pianoroll in Live, I suggest you try FL Studio. Be prepared to unlearn what you've learned till now, though...
Yes, the piano roll in FL is great ... that's why I still use FL. The piano roll in Live still looks like an afterthought to me. If it would pop up in its own window, that might be a little better, for a start.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Very interesting comments here. I think overall its how you work best with the software provided. Its clear that people approach the music making process differently than others.

I've used several applications over the last 6 years and haven't really found something that works quite like ableton+VSTi's. The session view allows me to experiment with ideas quickly without exactly committing. Then I can hit record and play all those parts live into a rough layout of what I think the track might be. I go back in and clean it all up.

To me thats just a faster work flow. And then again, you have to look at the advantages yourself and have your own realizations. "Oh, thats how I like to write tracks." or "Yeh, that application works very well with my writing style"
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Storlon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Storlon »

plaster wrote:..hey i want to make rock music, what guitar should i buy to sound rock.
For a dirty sound, go Gibson... for a more precise sound go Fender ! and dont forget to use a good old valve Marshall for the amp.

:shock: :wink:
[((-))]
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by [((-))] »

I think there must be a lot of people in the world right now spending stacks on gear and software and not making any music, just surfing forums and asking "how to". Not that i'm directing this at anyone just the general vibe of the internet. He'll i probably surf more than i sit in front of live 6. I think it takes a lot of discipline to make electronic music. Its a real fad. Becuase the computer can do everything these days, because you don't have to spend stacks on hardware anymore its easy to jump on the bandwagon. I know i struggle. I get a little ditty happening, but then i hit 'save as' and next time i get to my daw i load up a new set. Its hard not to get distracted or bored with what your working on. But i guess its all about discovering a process. Playing and learning the software till you get to a point where you breakthrough that ditty level. Audio is such a juggernaut. Its monstrous. Its a lifelong commitment i think. It basically means you have to become a computer geek. But yeah, live is great for minimal, as is any sequencer. As someone else mentioned live is for live. Thats its selling point. But conveniently, you can also compose and edit. It's not *the best* for composing, logic probably is, but live will do just fine. And whats more since it operates in different ways to other sequences, more than anything, i rekn, its the *fun* you get out of live that sets it apart form the rest. :arrow:
Martian Telecom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Martian Telecom »

Mnml = Live