GEAR - for a newbie on a budget

- ask away
gan_on
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gan_on »

so you're saying that 20 people on this board can use VST's in reason, the same 20 people on this board find the sound engine in reason amazing when compared to other software and again, the very same 20 people think that the malström and the subtactor have unlimited posibilities when it comes to engineering sounds...yeah right.

naturally alot of professionals use it...but there are professionals out there who are still using fasttracker and amiga trackers...

reason used through rewire is annother thing, but that requires annother program and we were talking about a stand alone software here, and personally i got too pissed of from having to use samples or the pain in the ass buggy re-wire when i wanted a nice pad. get what im saying?
From Shadow Moses?"
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

gan_on is quite right about the soundengine (I've seen some comparisons of reason waveforms and stuff but I think it was vers 2.0 or 2.5) and the lack of VST is just utter nonsense.

2 cent
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by theclockstrucktwelve »

gan_on wrote:so you're saying that 20 people on this board can use VST's in reason, the same 20 people on this board find the sound engine in reason amazing when compared to other software and again, the very same 20 people think that the malström and the subtactor have unlimited posibilities when it comes to engineering sounds...yeah right.

naturally alot of professionals use it...but there are professionals out there who are still using fasttracker and amiga trackers...

reason used through rewire is annother thing, but that requires annother program and we were talking about a stand alone software here, and personally i got too pissed of from having to use samples or the pain in the ass buggy re-wire when i wanted a nice pad. get what im saying?
I'm not talking about the vst thing... if you really need vsts, then yeah, there is the rewire thing. rewire with cubase in the end is a good idea for cleaning up the overall mix anyway (I made reference to this earlier).

I think you're way wrong about the limitations though. Not think, I know so. And about pad sounds... i've seen waaaay amazing pad sounds made with reason. Using either synth and/or the samplers as well. Keep in mind samplers aren't just for taking a straight sound and playing it back - it's about abuse, misuse and reuse... it's how people came up with the music we all love - experiment with new techniques and ways of manipulating sounds to come up with new ones.

I do think it's good to diversify, don't get me wrong... but if we're talking desert island scenario - reason would be the one to bring. Way more bang for your buck, so to speak. You could make a hell of a lot more music with Reason alone than you could with ableton alone.

"...Michaelangelo is a PARTY DUDE.. *PAARTEEEEEEE!* "
gan_on
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gan_on »

theclockstrucktwelve wrote:
I'm not talking about the vst thing... if you really need vsts, then yeah, there is the rewire thing. rewire with cubase in the end is a good idea for cleaning up the overall mix anyway (I made reference to this earlier).

I think you're way wrong about the limitations though. Not think, I know so. And about pad sounds... i've seen waaaay amazing pad sounds made with reason. Using either synth and/or the samplers as well. Keep in mind samplers aren't just for taking a straight sound and playing it back - it's about abuse, misuse and reuse... it's how people came up with the music we all love - experiment with new techniques and ways of manipulating sounds to come up with new ones.

I do think it's good to diversify, don't get me wrong... but if we're talking desert island scenario - reason would be the one to bring. Way more bang for your buck, so to speak. You could make a hell of a lot more music with Reason alone than you could with ableton alone.
naturally you can make sick stuff with reason...it IS a nice little thing. but you have to get out of your little box and admit that there are massive limitations with a stand alone reason...enough about that.

and the ableton live diss...same here...get out of the box...check out http://www.ableton.com and see for yourself, it's a way more advanced program than reason...and it sounds 100 times better.

to get back on track...wich was helping the guy out with some tips...

obviously i think you should invest in Ableton Live 5 (version six is more expensive, so buy v.5 and get v.6 for free) a bunch of VST plugs...http://www.kvraudio.com you'll find all you need there...dig in!

a simple midi controller, Edirol makes nice stuff...
monitors or really good hi-fi speakers...the cheap ones suck ass and has no low end what so ever cause they're crappy.. Genelec has great monitors in all sizes but they cost a few bucks more...however, i would buy a pair of cheap but at least BIG monitors...cause that way you'll at least get some volume.

(theclockstrucktwelve...again...just my opinions, im sure you disagree but lets drop it..)

:)
From Shadow Moses?"
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by theclockstrucktwelve »

Ableton doesn't make beats, it plays them. Yeah, I do disagree on multiple counts. But instead of argueing -
To the original poster - be your own judge, but I think at least for starting out - you'd get more bang for your buck with reason. Try em both out and see what you can do though. They do make hell of a pair (ableton and reason).

"...Michaelangelo is a PARTY DUDE.. *PAARTEEEEEEE!* "
kahl_s
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kahl_s »

I think reason´s sound engine sounds a bit dull (maybe dry or silent fits the description better), that is one of the main reasons :wink: why I moved away from the app (as well as the lack of VST-support).
But it doesn´t matter which program you use, it´s what you make of it. Now almost all synths can make sounds, it´s up to you to tweak it.
:D
But, offcourse people will always have different preferences. I like Live 5, and produce solely in it.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

theclockstrucktwelve wrote:Ableton doesn't make beats, it plays them.
what do u mean it doesn't make them? Ok the app toesn't make them, u do. But I make my beats in ableton.
staffan linzatti wrote:I think reason´s sound engine sounds a bit dull (maybe dry or silent fits the description better), that is one of the main reasons :wink: why I moved away from the app (as well as the lack of VST-support).
But it doesn´t matter which program you use, it´s what you make of it. Now almost all synths can make sounds, it´s up to you to tweak it.
:D
But, offcourse people will always have different preferences. I like Live 5, and produce solely in it.
I had the exact same "reasons" ;). And I like Live 5 and produce solely in it.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
Measax
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Measax »

live 6 is out now right? I like logic better for production, but I have to say nothing beats live for performance...