- wax
subtropical
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by subtropical »

theclockstrucktwelve wrote:
subtropical wrote:
subtropical wrote: You did exactly that in a few of your earlier posts...man you are hard to discuss things with as you change your tone to suit each new post. You also seem to be unable to grasp the concept of stealing in a lucid way- which also makes the discussion take on a merry-go-round effect...due to your lack of conceptual understanding and constant blurring of issues and vague illogical meanderings. In short: YOUR GAME IS UP 8)
You're completely wrong. I don't know if you're just skimming or deciding to ignore important context or what..

It could also be noted that you're talking about progressive types... someone like Holden woulda been worth more 10-12 years ago. I've heard it before "buuuut he makes 'mnml' stuff now!"... the root of his sound is in dead territory though and his history is as a trance/progressive type..

There, correct me if i am wrong...but calling dead territory on a genre that's doing really well now??? I'd say you were in fact saying that it had faded at the least. I guess you yourself are losing track with your previous pots.
Not losing track of anything...
"dead territory" is referring to something I elaborated on in another post regarding the relevance of certain genres and their inability to bear any new fruit aside from financial gain. You're obviously just looking for ways to try and prove me wrong or something now.. and i'm not going to feed into it any further. You must love that stuff sooo much if you're that defensive. I think it's lame, shitty, talentless music. But you're right, maybe it's doing well and hell, you like it too.. i'm not stopping you... or maybe you're feeling invalidated because someone said something bad about something you like... maybe it's time to grow a pair and not require everyone to be on the same page as you so you don't have to feel embarassed or something about what you're into. Of course if you grew a pair, you'd like better music...

Wooooooooooo.

What? I'm being immature?
Look at your posts... I'm just demonstrating an intensified version of the behaviors you have been exhibiting. And i'm done with hearing it.

It's all good man, I was just putting the smack down on your blatant inconsistencies...

No need to get all kooky
:lol:
Arnie
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Arnie »

My first visit to this board and I read this... took me a while and as someone said, my eyes are now watery.
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by theclockstrucktwelve »

subtropical wrote:
subtropical wrote:
subtropical wrote: You did exactly that in a few of your earlier posts...man you are hard to discuss things with as you change your tone to suit each new post. You also seem to be unable to grasp the concept of stealing in a lucid way- which also makes the discussion take on a merry-go-round effect...due to your lack of conceptual understanding and constant blurring of issues and vague illogical meanderings. In short: YOUR GAME IS UP 8)
You're completely wrong. I don't know if you're just skimming or deciding to ignore important context or what..

It could also be noted that you're talking about progressive types... someone like Holden woulda been worth more 10-12 years ago. I've heard it before "buuuut he makes 'mnml' stuff now!"... the root of his sound is in dead territory though and his history is as a trance/progressive type..

There, correct me if i am wrong...but calling dead territory on a genre that's doing really well now??? I'd say you were in fact saying that it had faded at the least. I guess you yourself are losing track with your previous pots.
"dead territory" is referring to something I elaborated on in another post regarding the relevance of certain genres and their inability to bear any new fruit aside from financial gain. You're obviously just looking for ways to try and prove me wrong or something now.. and i'm not going to feed into it any further. You must love that stuff sooo much if you're that defensive. I think it's lame, shitty, talentless music. But you're right, maybe it's doing well and hell, you like it too.. i'm not stopping you... or maybe you're feeling invalidated because someone said something bad about something you like... maybe it's time to grow a pair and not require everyone to be on the same page as you so you don't have to feel embarassed or something about what you're into. Of course if you grew a pair, you'd like better music...

Wooooooooooo.

Look at your posts... I'm just demonstrating an intensified version of the behaviors you have been exhibiting. And i'm done with hearing it.

It's all good man, I was just putting the smack down on your blatant inconsistencies...

No need to get all kooky

there were none, if you understood me correctly. but we'll call an armistice.

"...Michaelangelo is a PARTY DUDE.. *PAARTEEEEEEE!* "
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

dncn wrote:"Of course if you grew a pair, you'd like better music... "

hahahaha. i love this thread.
Thanks. I do children's birthday parties. Give me a call.

subtropical
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by subtropical »

subtropical wrote:
subtropical wrote:
theclockstrucktwelve wrote: You're completely wrong. I don't know if you're just skimming or deciding to ignore important context or what..

Wooooooooooo.

No need to get all kooky

there were none, if you understood me correctly. but we'll call an armistice.
cool, I'm down. :D
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

theclockstrucktwelve wrote: This is just an example, I'm not accrediting it all to this in particular. I just mean to indicate that with things like this happening, there was an inevitable decline that came along. With regards to people wanting to take up on the DJing thing... I think there was a lot more excitement about DJing in general back then . It was more impressive to people as less were cynical and whatnot all the time and people didn't go on the internet to bitch and complain and overexamine every move a DJ made.. it used to have a sense of adventure and mystery about it that you had to go to a party to hear, see or find out more about
I started partying and participating in online party and club forums in the summer of 98, well before cd players were much of anything and there was as much bickering and sh!t about djs as there now. Im sure there is a 313 list archive somewhere. When I compare to nyc based forums, the people then actually went out, whereas now the people go out less and type more.
freeeeeee
Daniel Logikal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Daniel Logikal »

whereas now the people go out less and type more.
Sad, but true. Thesedays we tend to live more in our own bubbles, and it leads more to 'consumption' than 'absorbtion' & live experience of music, relating back to some of the root issues in this thread - piracy & why it is still fundamentally wrong, no matter what argument & justifications for it.

I still cannot accept people not spending $1.50 US for an mp3 of a track they like, instead finding the time & resources to download rips via P2P & other avneues & then posting it on blogs. Lame.
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Daniel Logikal wrote:
whereas now the people go out less and type more.
Sad, but true. Thesedays we tend to live more in our own bubbles, and it leads more to 'consumption' than 'absorbtion' & live experience of music, relating back to some of the root issues in this thread - piracy & why it is still fundamentally wrong, no matter what argument & justifications for it.

I still cannot accept people not spending $1.50 US for an mp3 of a track they like, instead finding the time & resources to download rips via P2P & other avneues & then posting it on blogs. Lame.
The blogs and mass public web-based sharing is totally out of hand regardless of how you feel about piracy.

And yeah, 1.50 US is not at all ridiculous for a solid track that you want in full quality. So long as material is available as 320 kbps mp3, for example, at a modest price.. via instant download.. then there's no major problem there. The model used by beatport, etc, could be streamlined even further and be made even more convienient to users, but it's not bad at all.

In a Stephen Colbert like fashion though, I wag my finger at labels who aren't distributed through beatport or at least a similar service that offers same quality product and service. I also wag my finger at those digital distribution outlets who offer less-than-acceptable product, IE - VBR MP3s or less than 320 kbps in any format. This is why, for instance, I do not use iTunes to purchase my "other" / listening music (besides the fact that they only have about 1 of 10 things I want). It's only fair to expect that persons paying for a product should get the full product and services like these are offering something that comes in a bitrate that should be used as a free streaming preview and not for the final purchasable product.

When music isn't available legally via digital distributed means... and in acceptable format (full quality, non-drm restricted, non proprietary format), then I think it's almost legitimately an instant target for piracy. I'm not saying it's right.. it's just understandable why people would want to pirate it.. it's just plain easier to get what they want. The alternatives being a) settle for less than perfect - 128 kbps or whatever itunes offers for example, b) ordering a physical cd and waiting a week or whatever it is after spending ten minutes filling out the order form to get the product or c) having to leave the house / office / studio / box in the alley to go shop at a record store. people I think will tend to take the easiest route whether we like it or not. so instead of fighting a lost cause, it would be better to bring them a service or format that caters to their needs as modern consumers and actually give them a reason to purchase legitimately... (support of the artists and moral or legal reasons obviously don't count as they already don't care.. convenience is what they care about).