Loveletters from Oslo

- open
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Seriously guys, you don't know how many people who download from blogs do you? (and play them out)...
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

yeah maybe some 17 year old local i dont give fck dj, who gets a 100 dollar if he is really lucky

and why is it possible that they play it out and get accepted?
the root of all evil is your laziness to carry your vinyls to the gig

thats why its possible to say "oh i have it at home, i ripped it"

play digital tracks no problem, but if a track is only on vinyl then take your bag and carry this vinyl to your gig - its not that hard

if someone dont invest that much into his gig, why the fck should i listen.

and if everyone would do this, no one would play out illegal downloaded stuff, cause he would lose his reputation.

Problem solved.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

I kind of agree, but good luck to try and change the world, and no, it's not only local teenies that do this... (sadly)
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I played the other month with some lads that ripped stuff off blogs. They were playing that Reboot house tune way before the release. They even said to me ‘it’s not out yet’ as if to boast about it.
Spelleti
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Spelleti »

Harrison wrote:
and now he is just adding to that. seriously what bullshit. why set up a vinyl only label and go digital. fck off. what about the people who HAVE supported LLFO from the first release?

LLFO Staff has made a decision... move on.

ps: for the selfish people, why don't you produce your own tracks? so you can be the only privileged ones to listen it.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

You're just happy you can now play real 320's aren’t you Spelleti rather them shitty vinyl rips you have been collecting on your old dear's hard drive. ;)
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

::BLM:: wrote:I played the other month with some lads that ripped stuff off blogs. They were playing that Reboot house tune way before the release. They even said to me ‘it’s not out yet’ as if to boast about it.
think a club should kick guys like that out of the booth.
Van Hagen
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Van Hagen »

brownlow wrote:
YES YES YES YES YES YES!

Theo Parrish's term "selector" is a unique designation for the vinyl DJ. It is the process of selection which is unique to the vinyl DJ and, to a lesser degree, the cd DJ.

Making a "selection" refers not only to the physical action of picking a record out of your bag, it also applies to the processes (psyhcological as well as physical) applied in acquiring the record in the first place and any other association you might have in handling the record in another situation.

The journey to the record store, the interaction with shop staff, a record which might have been playing in the store, artwork, the bus journey on the way, any premeditative thought before arriving at the store, the various other processes involved in crate-digging, etc. etc. etc.

In the physicality of a vinyl record there is always some kind of journey involved (literally and/or metaphorically) which I believe leads to a deeper connection between the "selector" and the listeners when it comes for the time for that record to be played, consciously or subconsciously. And these journeys (as many journeys do result from each record), as well as the pit-stops made at home, are shared.

Very few, if any, shareable experiences arise from sitting at a computer buying thin-air from thin-air. The only physicality involved is the hard-drive which acts as some sort of faceless whore. Imagine the British Library not existing, for example, because it's all been scanned and squished into an Amazon Kindle, making it easier for everyone. How soulless and what a complete disregard for history would that be? Of course, we're not dealing with priceless original works of art here. Vinyl records are, after all, reproductions of a master print. But the principal remains the same.

30 years down the line when the originators of our music are dying or dead, and the new kids on the scene only have a sea of 111010101010101 to file through, where, or more importantly, how are they going to find the good stuff which is thankfully still being released on vinyl today? Perhaps if vinyl is also dead by then, there will be a museum. Hopefully not.

In terms of listening, Vinyl is not the be all and end all, but it serves as the benchmark for how music is SELECTED in the appropriate environment, i.e. club, party, etc.

Ironically I am listening to Theo Parrish right now on my computer. Music as a product for the consumer that buys music to listen makes sense in this day and age. As for music the DJ, a suitable replacement for vinyl has yet to be invented.

LLFO's jump to beatport represents a need to accommodate the costs of producing vinyl, which is a funny one if they originally set out to be a vinyl-only label. If that's what they had to do to support continued production of vinyl, fine, but considering Olso's success I have other ideas...
Some really good points made here! Even though I've been play digitally for a long time now, I love being reminded of all the little journeys I've been through when listening to my vinyl at home. Especially with the older records, like from early/mid 90's. Being really young, full of (great) illusions... all that. That's what really makes and always will make vinyl valuable for me.