attention fellow producers..... rampant piracy

- wax
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

mate, if there wasnt anything wrong with what you were saying or the way you were saying it why are you having to defend/explain yourself to every other poster in this thread?
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by theclockstrucktwelve »

MarcAshken wrote:mate, if there wasnt anything wrong with what you were saying or the way you were saying it why are you having to defend/explain yourself to every other poster in this thread?
...bad habit? :)

"...Michaelangelo is a PARTY DUDE.. *PAARTEEEEEEE!* "
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

theclockstrucktwelve wrote:[

And at Der geile Ami:
I don't think the dotcom thing had much to do with any of it because the fact is that during the period we were speaking of earlier, when techno, prog and otherwise "electronic" or "underground" labels were doing doing consistantly well (and I should note, I do not mean that there isn't people doing well now, I just meant that a lot more people were doing consistantly well and it required, seemingly, a bit less work to keep things afloat), they did not really need or use the internet too much. Most labels didn't have a website or if they did, it wasn't used for too much of anything aside from throwing some artwork or logo up and maybe an email list. These days it's a little different... a lot of people would go unnoticed and ignored if they didn't even have a website.

I guess the dotcom boom may have had some effect long term as the web as it is today is a tool that makes it much easier for any person to come along and start a label of their own and this contributes to the crowded market we have today. Rave scene implosion is self explanatory... I don't think it's all that different though. A lot of people were excited to go to secret parties and things but they didn't all buy records and things. I think it was a time when an artist with even a bit of discernable talent could succeed a little easier though as everyone in the world wasn't a self-proclaimed "producer".
I am just speaking from the experience of living in nyc at the time. There were a lot more hip yuppies buying records so they could put away the guitar and try out djing. This started to wane before downloading became so big. The attendance to parties supporting this music also sharply declined. The best test to see if downloading is really making a difference is how the parties shape up. If just as many or more people are going out and nothing is getting sold, then these people obviously enjoy the music but are nto buying it anymore. from all accounts it seems moreso that indivdual scenes are also seeing smaller parties. Young people are more apt to get into different music now.
freeeeeee
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Der geile Ami wrote:
theclockstrucktwelve wrote:[

And at Der geile Ami:
I don't think the dotcom thing had much to do with any of it because the fact is that during the period we were speaking of earlier, when techno, prog and otherwise "electronic" or "underground" labels were doing doing consistantly well (and I should note, I do not mean that there isn't people doing well now, I just meant that a lot more people were doing consistantly well and it required, seemingly, a bit less work to keep things afloat), they did not really need or use the internet too much. Most labels didn't have a website or if they did, it wasn't used for too much of anything aside from throwing some artwork or logo up and maybe an email list. These days it's a little different... a lot of people would go unnoticed and ignored if they didn't even have a website.

I guess the dotcom boom may have had some effect long term as the web as it is today is a tool that makes it much easier for any person to come along and start a label of their own and this contributes to the crowded market we have today. Rave scene implosion is self explanatory... I don't think it's all that different though. A lot of people were excited to go to secret parties and things but they didn't all buy records and things. I think it was a time when an artist with even a bit of discernable talent could succeed a little easier though as everyone in the world wasn't a self-proclaimed "producer".
I am just speaking from the experience of living in nyc at the time. There were a lot more hip yuppies buying records so they could put away the guitar and try out djing. This started to wane before downloading became so big. The attendance to parties supporting this music also sharply declined. The best test to see if downloading is really making a difference is how the parties shape up. If just as many or more people are going out and nothing is getting sold, then these people obviously enjoy the music but are nto buying it anymore. from all accounts it seems moreso that indivdual scenes are also seeing smaller parties. Young people are more apt to get into different music now.
Yeah, I see your angle..
There were some very big changes that occured when the declines started that had to do more directly with the climate of the scene rather than the distribution of the music though. For instance, in Canada, there used to be huge awesome parties all the time. One of the first major blows to this was a law passed that made it illegal for tobacco companies (not sure if it was just tobacco or not, I can't remember) to sponsor events and things. There were a lot of free or dirt cheap parties that went on featuring international legends, and much excitement that went along with it all.. but many of them relied on these kinds of sponsors.

This is just an example, I'm not accrediting it all to this in particular. I just mean to indicate that with things like this happening, there was an inevitable decline that came along. With regards to people wanting to take up on the DJing thing... I think there was a lot more excitement about DJing in general back then . It was more impressive to people as less were cynical and whatnot all the time and people didn't go on the internet to bitch and complain and overexamine every move a DJ made.. it used to have a sense of adventure and mystery about it that you had to go to a party to hear, see or find out more about

Mirza
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Mirza »

more difficult to read a book

my eyes are burning...
subtropical
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by subtropical »

theclockstrucktwelve wrote:
subtropical wrote: You did exactly that in a few of your earlier posts...man you are hard to discuss things with as you change your tone to suit each new post. You also seem to be unable to grasp the concept of stealing in a lucid way- which also makes the discussion take on a merry-go-round effect...due to your lack of conceptual understanding and constant blurring of issues and vague illogical meanderings. In short: YOUR GAME IS UP 8)
You're completely wrong. I don't know if you're just skimming or deciding to ignore important context or what..

It could also be noted that you're talking about progressive types... someone like Holden woulda been worth more 10-12 years ago. I've heard it before "buuuut he makes 'mnml' stuff now!"... the root of his sound is in dead territory though and his history is as a trance/progressive type..

There, correct me if i am wrong...but calling dead territory on a genre that's doing really well now??? I'd say you were in fact saying that it had faded at the least. I guess you yourself are losing track with your previous pots.
theclockstrucktwelve
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

subtropical wrote:
theclockstrucktwelve wrote:
subtropical wrote: You did exactly that in a few of your earlier posts...man you are hard to discuss things with as you change your tone to suit each new post. You also seem to be unable to grasp the concept of stealing in a lucid way- which also makes the discussion take on a merry-go-round effect...due to your lack of conceptual understanding and constant blurring of issues and vague illogical meanderings. In short: YOUR GAME IS UP 8)
You're completely wrong. I don't know if you're just skimming or deciding to ignore important context or what..

It could also be noted that you're talking about progressive types... someone like Holden woulda been worth more 10-12 years ago. I've heard it before "buuuut he makes 'mnml' stuff now!"... the root of his sound is in dead territory though and his history is as a trance/progressive type..

There, correct me if i am wrong...but calling dead territory on a genre that's doing really well now??? I'd say you were in fact saying that it had faded at the least. I guess you yourself are losing track with your previous pots.
Not losing track of anything...
"dead territory" is referring to something I elaborated on in another post regarding the relevance of certain genres and their inability to bear any new fruit aside from financial gain. You're obviously just looking for ways to try and prove me wrong or something now.. and i'm not going to feed into it any further. You must love that stuff sooo much if you're that defensive. I think it's lame, shitty, talentless music. But you're right, maybe it's doing well and hell, you like it too.. i'm not stopping you... or maybe you're feeling invalidated because someone said something bad about something you like... maybe it's time to grow a pair and not require everyone to be on the same page as you so you don't have to feel embarassed or something about what you're into. Of course if you grew a pair, you'd like better music...

Wooooooooooo.

What? I'm being immature?
Look at your posts... I'm just demonstrating an intensified version of the behaviors you have been exhibiting. And i'm done with hearing it.

dncn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dncn »

"Of course if you grew a pair, you'd like better music... "

hahahaha. i love this thread.