Loveletters from Oslo

- open
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

2. Dont repeat "Richie Hawtin" - propaganda like "A DJ improves if he doesnt have to pitch" (you said it in your deleted post)

This complet false , show me the post
haha ! reading is not your strong side
I said , by another words by not having to beatmatch you can use many other skills , and make your sets more original full
..your sets get more versatile and full
ok so if the sets get more full and original, the logic must be, that they werent as original and full befor. furthermore i would think "orginal" and "full" are good skills of a DJ. So if this good skills increase through not beatmatching i would think its not false to say the DJ improved or he got better.

and for me that sounds a lot like, "if you dont have to beatmatch you are a better DJ"

maybe you dont think about the implications of your words much, but i really see no other interpretation here.

my point is, this kind of justification is the problem. and my opinion is

1. you dont get better, i dont know any DJ who is now better or more original than befor
2. i really believe its harder for a dj to improve if he plays full digital, cause he is constantly forced to do some sh!t that nobody wants to hear

but i understand its easier and maybe its more fun to push all this buttons. so i have no problem if you want to do this. but if i hear things like "vinyl should die" coming from a full digital "DJ", that makes me a little bit aggressive.
i mean 2010 and talking about beatmatch and fade in/out....sorry seems bit strange to me....
yeah why is that strange? cause its not so easy? cause it isnt perfect the whole time?
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

i mean 2010 and talking about beatmatch and fade in/out....sorry seems bit strange to me....

yeah why is that strange? cause its not so easy? cause it isnt perfect the whole time?
Beat matching is the fundamentals of mixing. You should at least get this down before moving onto anything else.
I really don’t get all this digital stuff on Traktor, I would much prefer to hear a DJ playing track after track the way they are meant to be played, then stood behind a computer fiddling around with knobs. DJing is meant to be cool FFS!
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

What i don't get about this whole thing is, why did they start a vinyl only label and now putting all the catalogue on digital. It makes no sense to me. I'm ok if they want to release digital, that's no problem for me. They even could start a new only digital label, but putting all the back catalogue on beatport... feels a bit weird. Do they have so much output they need to release in digital via two labels? Plus, label and sub label have the same sound so, what's the point?
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

It probably has to do with money.
Maiyal
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Maiyal »

blizt wrote:What i don't get about this whole thing is, why did they start a vinyl only label and now putting all the catalogue on digital. It makes no sense to me. I'm ok if they want to release digital, that's no problem for me. They even could start a new only digital label, but putting all the back catalogue on beatport... feels a bit weird. Do they have so much output they need to release in digital via two labels? Plus, label and sub label have the same sound so, what's the point?
They want money, that's it. I'm not saying they don't need money, I know we all have a mouth (or several) to feed and bills to pay. I would understand where they are coming from if they were starving and threatened to be kicked out by their landlords for not paying bills; however I doubt this is the case.

I fully agree that it is odd, but that's the truth behind it. They saw an inexpensive way to generate revenue from old "products" (though not tangible in the case of mp3's), and they went for it.
gustafsson
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gustafsson »

2. Dont repeat "Richie Hawtin" - propaganda like "A DJ improves if he doesnt have to pitch" (you said it in your deleted post)

This complet false , show me the post

haha ! reading is not your strong side

Once again you did not understand , what you say its false i did not wrote that ,i know what i wrote so if u remember the post so well why dont u transcribe it ?? or ask the moderator to do it

and for me that sounds a lot like, "if you dont have to beatmatch you are a better DJ"

Wrong , to mw that sounds like , if you are a chef and have access to 100 ingredients u can make a more elaborate and original and nice dishes although im not saiyng a chef cannot make an equally tastefull and good dish with 50 ingredients

so u add words and a conclusion to the end that not corresponds to what i am saiyng

+ a different thing is the fact i personally think its much more demanding
at all levels to dj using pre composed trakcs and effects made by you

Much more harder than beatmatching and much more of a chalenge

if u have the abbylity to buy a music and build a groove from scratch and effects or whatever to bridge that track in a pre defined way in a set
u can besides the beatmatching part elaborate and add much more originality to sets
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

You should use the quote button fella, it would make it a lot easier to read.
Maiyal
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Maiyal »

::BLM:: wrote:You should use the quote button fella, it would make it a lot easier to read.
x100