Beatport - The backlash!!

- open
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

pheek wrote:
ParanoidDancer wrote:I wonder if someone here has actually sold tracks thru one of the sites so we can compare how much an artist or label actually gets from the tracks that are sold.
I didn't see any money from the tracks of mine on there. I need to check with the labels :?
Normally the MP3 sales goes into the complete accounting of the record (meaning the 12" AND the MP3 sales). That might be the reason.

I actually think Kompakt is selling their stuff to cheap. I like the prices from Beatport and DJ Download, but ofcourse it's shitty that you don't get a discount when you buy the full release (you do that at Kompakt).
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Beatport - The backlash!!

Post by adam »

hotpace wrote:So, I personally think they are way too expensive and refuse to buy from them now. Plus I don't like all the negativity I'm hearing on the 'Poser' thread in General Chat. And refusing Pheek on the grounds of his label not being 'famous' enough just fucking stinks! Do we all have to become Richies new best mate to get any interest then in this scene now!?

Sooo, top and bottom in my opinion is this:

Good points:
Good samples
Nice looking

Bad points:
Way, way too expensive.
People with dubious, money obsessed motives running it.
Not willing to give new artists a chance (regardless of quality of music)

Bad outweigh the good! Lets all boycott the fuckers! :P
Whats everyone else think?

I did think the prices were slightly too high BUT:

They are, so far, the only quality digital distribution point that I'm aware of. Every other digital distribution outlet fails to supply full quality MP3 or other audio for download (low bitrates and/or VBR everywhere else). Until there is a proper competitor, the prices are going to remain and i'm fine with that - I'll support a company who is doing something right for a change.

And about artists and labels, etc - everyone in the world has a label now or is starting one. The old cliche "everyone is a dj" has been replaced with "everyone is a label owner". While it's unfortunate that some good people/artists don't "make the cut", it's important that someone acts as a sieve and i'm glad that there is something preventing beatport from becoming as flooded with crap records as the rest of the market. Furthermore, it's a distribution outlet. It's no different than other distribution channels aside from the medium being distributed. It's unfair to be cranky about Beatport in these respects without complaining about the industry in general. Not all distribution joints will take all music, people gotta prove themselves to these people. They don't want to waste their time/space/money with your sh!t unless they know they can push it.

My final word on it: Beatport does it right. They charge a little more than I'd like but right now it's worth it. There isn't another similar service that offers quality product and service like them and I can deal with paying a couple extra bucks here and there. It's the difference between buying McDonald's hamburgers and going to a nice steak restaurant to me. You want something good, you gotta pay for it.
Rich
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rich »

Just got an e-mail today from Beatport, offering various full albums at reduced special offer prices. Maybe Richie reads mnml.nl!!!!

8)
adhesif
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Beatport - The backlash!!

Post by adhesif »

adam wrote: I did think the prices were slightly too high BUT:

They are, so far, the only quality digital distribution point that I'm aware of. Every other digital distribution outlet fails to supply full quality MP3 or other audio for download (low bitrates and/or VBR everywhere else). Until there is a proper competitor, the prices are going to remain and i'm fine with that - I'll support a company who is doing something right for a change.

And about artists and labels, etc - everyone in the world has a label now or is starting one. The old cliche "everyone is a dj" has been replaced with "everyone is a label owner". While it's unfortunate that some good people/artists don't "make the cut", it's important that someone acts as a sieve and i'm glad that there is something preventing beatport from becoming as flooded with crap records as the rest of the market. Furthermore, it's a distribution outlet. It's no different than other distribution channels aside from the medium being distributed. It's unfair to be cranky about Beatport in these respects without complaining about the industry in general. Not all distribution joints will take all music, people gotta prove themselves to these people. They don't want to waste their time/space/money with your sht unless they know they can push it.

My final word on it: Beatport does it right. They charge a little more than I'd like but right now it's worth it. There isn't another similar service that offers quality product and service like them and I can deal with paying a couple extra bucks here and there. It's the difference between buying McDonald's hamburgers and going to a nice steak restaurant to me. You want something good, you gotta pay for it.
you say underground artists should have to prove themselves to beatport? who the hell are beatport?
im serious! who are beatport?? wot are their names and wot have they done for underground music?
thats if we are actualy talkin about underground music here!

you compare beatport to a 'nice steak restaurant??
beatport is an american company yeh? so is it safe to say that they cremate their steaks?

its funny you mention hamburgers aswell ! ive always said that beatport sell music like mcdonalds sell burgers !
there is no difference between mcdonalds and a nice steak restaurant either, its still dead meat !
although the 'nice steak restaurant' will ask how you prefer your steak cooked, but in the art/underground music 'restaurants', (wots left of them) they dont compromise their steaks like that !
but sayin that, mcdonalds doesnt compromise, they grill any shite and serve it in a seedy bun !

have you realised wot is hapning here? with all this talk of beatport in the territory of underground music?
underground music has more in common with fookin mcdonalds with the fact that the underground doesnt compromise and serves their sshhhit anywhere thats seedy !

and all this talk about wanting music to be cheap as chips too??? wots all that about??
maybe in the future we will all be buying our music from the quid shop!!
(underground music R.I.P.)

support independent music, without or even with beatport !
but more importantly, keep music precious, buy it in a box or a sleeve !!
'adventitious roots'
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

any distributor, vinyl, cd or mp3 can and will refuse tracks
on grounds of it being too leftfield or too commercial, too technoish or not enough techno etc...
but the mp3-market is still very young and the competition is not yet that strong; but it's growing and as soon as more portals like beatport will enter the market, prices will start to fluctuate

personally i think beatport is too expensive, but then again i don't really have a good idea of how many mp3's are being sold and how the money is split between distributors, labels and artists, so it's a bit difficult to judge
i do think that as soon as mp3 sales grow sharply and take over the cd-market, prices will be lower as the mp3 market will become more profitable... don't forget... it's not just music... it's also business ;-)
love it or hate it
adhesif
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by adhesif »

maybe im being a bit naive here, but my view on beatport is that it should be a kind of music label archive !
thats the only way i could take them seriously !
in wot capacity are beatport an actual 'distributor' ??
they are simply an online mp3 shop !

i would like to point out that my label hasnt been turned down by beatport (incase anyone thinks im feeling bitter towards beatport) but other labels i collectively work with have been took on and others havnt !
obviously they arnt looking deep enough into the music for their decisions to be judged on musical merit and artistic integrity, as ive also seen beatports auto reply !
'adventitious roots'
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

Considering everything that has been said, I will boycott.
isa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by isa »

beatport is too expensive