Sell TR 909 buy machine drum

- ask away
TroySilver
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by TroySilver »

I mean, not really Adam.

Everything is based off the preset sounds, sort of. You can create your own sounds by tweaking the hell out of the other sounds but I've found nothing that sounds like the 909 open hat to base it from. You know the sound Im talking about. It emulates pretty much everything else though.
jgb
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by jgb »

Cheers guys! This is my first post, so be kind to me. I'll introduce myself later.

I have owned a 909 and a Machinedrum at the same time for a couple of years now. The 909 I sold since I never used it, despite the fact that it sounds really good. The reason for this? The Machinedrum gives me tons of inspiration whereas the 909 just gathered dust.

If you want to emulate the 909 open hihat on the MD you should use two sounds, the EFM-HH and PI-HH, those two together makes it possible to create something that sounds quite like the 909 open hihat. Just start tweaking! You will never hit the exact sound, but you will get quite close.

As for the 909 kick, I haven't yet been able to get the exact sound, but have found lots of usable kicks while trying.

Now as I have the UW version of the MD this is not a problem for me, I just use samples if I need the standard 909 sounds. Except for the 909 snare which already is hidden in the E12 kit. E12-BR. The first sample I transferred to the MD-UW was actually the handclap from the 909. :)
TroySilver
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by TroySilver »

Hey JGB, thanks for that info. Question for you on the UW version of the MachineDrum.

How easy is it to load samples into the machine? Also, how much storage is there? Is there temporary and permanent storage? I wouldn't be loading the samples in every time I power the unit on like an SP1200 correct?
jgb
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by jgb »

Using the C6 tool provided by Elektron it is quite simple to transfer samples to the UW. Total storage is 2MB for a total of 32 sounds. Yup. 2MB. Not that much, huh? Considering that percussion sounds are rarely that long this is ok to me, but more memory would have been really useful.

The rom machines (i.e. samples that you can transfer to it) are stored in memory when the machine is switched off. The ram machines (realtime sampling of internal and external sounds) are gone when the UW is switched off.

Since you already know what the MD can do soundwise, here is a clip with some more UW-features in it.
http://c64.org/~jgb/md-uw.mp3

Standard MD sounds, the sampled 909 clap, ram machines sampling and replaying all the time to add grit and whatever.

(If a separate MD-UW thread appears, this post should probably be moved to that one)
tomashaas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tomashaas »

so i better prefer a jomox xbase 09
check the price and here you are.

but after that i also think about getting a tr808, much better than a 909
netlabel for abstract electronic music art
http://www.tisch-records.org
http://www.myspace.com/tischrecords
Militikie
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Militikie »

proud owner of md sps-1, and damn it sounds great!!
but a 909 is also a great piece man.
I think it will be a sweet combination in the end :)
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harass »

tomashaas wrote:so i better prefer a jomox xbase 09
check the price and here you are.

but after that i also think about getting a tr808, much better than a 909
Thats what im getting! ;)
Tek23
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Tek23 »

im on the fence on this one to.
I'v sampled the sh*t out of my 909, havn't plugged it in for like 2 years.

same with the 303 ... but i have more fun with the 303

but i like the musium effect of my old gear