Is Minus becoming the Get Physical of minimal?

- wax
gillsans
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by gillsans »

Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote:I usually have to say it every other week. this site should be renamed to mnus.nl
*quickly looks up domain :)
Keepin' the beats deep in the groove bunker
cyhl
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cyhl »

adam wrote:People who are into this music are individuals capable of independent thought.
nobody is!
orsele marketing wouldn't exist ;)

what I mean is that, even if it's not conciously, and even if you try to fight it and be objective, you're always influenced by toooooooooooons of things: what happened in your life before (that's called experience), what people think around you (that includes mnml.nl ;) ); so of course there's a herding effect!!!!!!!!! and I'm not saying people are stupid, it's just part of everyone's life to be influenced by all these things.

but at the end, whether you like and buy some music because you're capable of independent thought and you truely think it's good, or because you're inconsciously influenced by others, WHO CARES? what matters is that you like it, and that it brings you this little something in your life that music can do to you...
the anti mundane brigade
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by the anti mundane brigade »

I have to agree with Thomas D on all this. Nice to see someone or some people have some sense on this site and also people referring to relevant subjects present, prior to the "minimal explosion"! I believe that the whole hype thing is bollox! Minus has turned into a load of bollox! Churning out releases every couple of weeks, with frankly - sub-standard music!

As people have already mentioned earlier in this post, the exact same thing is happening 'Minimal' that happened to the Euro Techno bandwagon a few years back. Artists popping up and churning out music every week that sounds the same, I use 'Danilo Vigorito' as a reference, where the fck did he go? I think the minimal equivalent has to be 'Someone Else'
Don't get me wrong some of his music is good and original, or his early stuff anyway, now I can't find a record with him excluded!

People can say I don't know what I am talking about but I do! AN old label of mine went down with the Prime fck up, and I have many friends who were effected as well from either Prime or Integrale! Now my current distributor for my minimal label is asking me to get a remix of Someone Else, to shift units! fck that! Can I jump on the bandwagon as well then!

The distributor also told me the market is very slow at the moment! This is bad news guys and the reason for it is because of all of you who are writing sub-standard music! If you have not been writing music for more than at the very least 3 years, fck off! However good news for the people who are genuinely trying to break boundaries in their sound, and trying to create something original, without the obligotry Ableton 'Grain Delay/Reverb' on every sound. We will still be here and struggling to make a living, but we will still be here.

That is my summing up of Minus, cheap sounds with Ableton 'Grain Delay' dripping over every track! What happened to releasing a record like 'Minus -Orange' every couple of months!

Break the Mold!!!!
'let us dilute this sea of mediocrity'
Ro
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ro »

adam wrote:There's a lot of good music out there, but there's a lot more weak music. When someone consistantly delivers high quality, top notch records all the time (like Minus), of course they are going to be in the spotlight. They've earned it. (note: not looking for a flame war from anyone who doesn't dig it... )
Agree.
Minimal reaches out to a lot bigger crowd then 3 years ago, so does m_nus.
I don't think it is useful to worry about the hype, or about people's opinions, because we are talking about music, everybody has his own opinion.
If I see the new Bitches remix in a clip on MTV ofcourse I'm not happy, because it's not new to me, but still if I hear the track I like it.
Forget it jake, it's Chinatown.
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

good music speaks for itself

i am a bit more reluctant to play stuff from Minus, just because i think that ...labels like that are the most obvious to the uninitiated, but if its dope as hell....how am i going to ignore it.
mokaz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mokaz »

I usually have to say it every other week. this site should be renamed to mnus.nl
I'm not sure about the renaming of the website but I kind of agree that somehow all the records with loads of comments here around are not really for me the slammers on which my head is banging... Well to me honsetly I feel an up and comming ending of all these blipy and clonky records... Folks in clubs needs to be feed and they ask for more, techno is back !
::: b a r e m :::
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ::: b a r e m ::: »

the anti mundane brigade wrote:
As people have already mentioned earlier in this post, the exact same thing is happening 'Minimal' that happened to the Euro Techno bandwagon a few years back. Artists popping up and churning out music every week that sounds the same, I use 'Danilo Vigorito' as a reference, where the fck did he go? I think the minimal equivalent has to be 'Someone Else'
Don't get me wrong some of his music is good and original, or his early stuff anyway, now I can't find a record with him excluded!

People can say I don't know what I am talking about but I do! AN old label of mine went down with the Prime fck up, and I have many friends who were effected as well from either Prime or Integrale! Now my current distributor for my minimal label is asking me to get a remix of Someone Else, to shift units! fck that! Can I jump on the bandwagon as well then!

The distributor also told me the market is very slow at the moment! This is bad news guys and the reason for it is because of all of you who are writing sub-standard music! If you have not been writing music for more than at the very least 3 years, fck off! However good news for the people who are genuinely trying to break boundaries in their sound, and trying to create something original, without the obligotry Ableton 'Grain Delay/Reverb' on every sound. We will still be here and struggling to make a living, but we will still be here.

That is my summing up of Minus, cheap sounds with Ableton 'Grain Delay' dripping over every track! What happened to releasing a record like 'Minus -Orange' every couple of months!

Break the Mold!!!!
So what? We love someone else.... we love ableton´s grain delay and reverb. Why are you angry about other people´s success?
If you can´t see that someone else, heartthrob, troy, gaiser, crosson, pronsato and many others are genuinely trying to break boundaries in their sound, it´s your opinion, and I respect it. But please don´t attack people who only sell 3000 or 4000 copies (do you think that it´s enough?). If you don´t like them, just don´t buy it, and don´t play it...

And if you consider that we make "sub-standard music", don´t loose your time trying to persuade us not to do that, ´cause we love what we do, and we feel it...
just post your releases in a new topic, tell us about your label, tell us about you and your artists, and if they are as good as you say, we´ll love it too.

"If you have not been writing music for more than at the very least 3 years, fck off!"????????????? :shock: How can you judge artists by that?

All I see are 5 paragraphs of someone saying "fck off" to some people and nothing about his own project.

btw: this is not personal... just make music and release it. Labels like m_nus are not making the market slower. They are making it bigger and by releasing top quality music. In my opinion, that´s great!
astro
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by astro »

mlexicon wrote:good music speaks for itself
it sure does, m_nus stuff has not gone down in quality at all.
they sound very good, maybe it is true that the label's profile has settled a little and it´s a little harder finding mind blowing absolutely original never before heard kind of compositions, but they´re top quallity still.
the hype´s will always be there, maybe we could do better use of it instead of whining about how painful it is losing our beloved treasure to the masses. anyway, minimal techno is not exactly what candy ravers are looking for imho, i don´t really know how many mnml-trend-followers are actually out there...
the anti mundane brigade wrote:Now my current distributor for my minimal label is asking me to get a remix of Someone Else
maybe he should be distributing unfound. :P
for real, he´s an asshole, tell him to fck off.
barem wrote:All I see are 5 paragraphs of someone saying "fck off" to some people and nothing about his own project.
totally agreed, also related to what mlexicon said, argue with facts, empty intolerance is pointless.
zero.