Why do you produce music?

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Why do you produce music?

Post by tone-def »

is life worth living without the thing you love?

i don't know but i think things would be a lot more miserable.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

dont forget how important music is to us as a species

after survival and reproduction, it is THE most important thing imo.

it cuts across cultural, political and religious divides, it fills us with joy, it is the uniting force of mankind, being a musician is a noble 'profession', if you inspire one other person to go on and be creative, it was all worth while.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Don't forget, you can also make music just to piss the neighbours off and instigate fights.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

neighbours ? what, you mean sheep ?
naw theyre pretty laid back to be honest
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

Is anyone here happy enough just making music alongside a normal job? Is everyones aim to live off music someday?
I personally believe, like you, that the main reason should always be a love for the process. But the main issue is how can you tell if FOR YOU making music is all that you care about or is it just a hobby? I mean, what's your path? I think we have to take a reality dose and assess whether or not we have a talent. For me it's a very sad thought. I would like to be an artist but I'm not, and it has been very hard to realize this. We are all creative to some extent but I think the real artist is mainly born, not made. For the real artist, thousands of hours learning worth the effort because she/he can ultimately produce memorable and quality music.

You can love making music, and I'm sure we all do, but does it really worth the effort?
I can relate to this.
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

Do you have a purpose for producing electronic music?
I believe I just very much enjoy doing it, which is a reason big enough. It somehow acts as a therapeutic activity, and allows me to share feelings / emotions with others (although i'm not so sure my skills allow me to do that nowadays). Also, but only more recently, it allowed me to connect and share musicwith people from around the globe and more locally who share that same way of looking at music. Only this could be a good enough purpose for making music imo.

Do you want to be famous and rich?
Famous, not really. rich, definitely. But being rich is quite a vast term. If it's monetary, the simple fact i'm tapping this on my own laptop means i'm better off than most. So i can't really complain about anything really. If it's about life experiences then, i definitely want to die rich.

Do you want to contribute some quality music to the scene?
I wish I could, but I'm not sure I can really contribute. Maybe more like add a little to the lot that has already been said.

Do you (realistically) feel you can get somewhere professionally with your music? Is it good enough?
I'm somehow pursuing many creative careers at the same time and trying to find a way to merge them all, so we'll see where this goes. Musically, I'm starting to see some branches (not yet fruits) of the many hours i've spent learning and refining the music making craft.

Do you feel satisfied with the tracks you make?
I don't know if they're good enough, but i can listen back to tunes i made in the past year and for the first time also play them in my dj-sets (something i never felt like doing before 2011).

Can you improve what its missing?
Definitely and i can't wait to figure out what'll be missing when i'll have figured out what I thought was missing now

Is making (good) electronic music a talent that can be developed or is it an artistic gift just a few have?
I believe any skills can be developed to a point where you become really good, from there, you need talent, taste and a bit of luck to make something outstanding.

Kind of filled this to be able to come back to it, or not in a few years and see if things have changed. Anyhow, making music and playing with synths is amazing, so i'll just keep doing it for a while.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Opuswerk wrote: Do you feel satisfied with the tracks you make?
I don't know if they're good enough, but i can listen back to tunes i made in the past year and for the first time also play them in my dj-sets (something i never felt like doing before 2011).
A track you made on the 1883 ep is literally one of my favorite tunes. I think its Sakura... I heard it on soundcloud after a while of not hearing any techno I liked. It really sparked my interest again and I'm still inspired by it today.

Trust me, your tunes are good enough.
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

lem wrote:
Opuswerk wrote: Do you feel satisfied with the tracks you make?
A track you made on the 1883 ep is literally one of my favorite tunes. I think its Sakura... I heard it on soundcloud after a while of not hearing any techno I liked. It really sparked my interest again and I'm still inspired by it today.

Trust me, your tunes are good enough.
-boom

thanks man. :oops:
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk