Ricardo Kick

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Ricardo Kick

Post by AK »

Sounds interesting. I use Wavelab but I know there's a function for drawing in waveforms with a pencil tool. I have never actually bothered learning anything about that, might give it a try later. In regard to Wavelab ( although you could do it in any decent editor ) Has anyone tried making kicks in there editor alone?

You can use a very simple process for creating 808 like kicks ( not gone into too much depth trying other sounds out ) but a generated sinewave ( say 40hz ) followed by applying a pitch bend with the amount set in semitones ( I usually start with 12 on that ) and create a waveform/envelope shape for the bend to follow. For an 808 style kick, I tend to almost replicate the envelope for the pitch bend to the actual waveform shape of an original 808 kick, then click apply. You can always do this non destructively by copying to a new wave or simply use the undo feature until you hit the right envelope shape. Different shapes obviously produce different kick effects and sometimes its necessary to repeat the procedure 2 or 3 times to increase the attack/punch of the sound.

Must admit to never being quite happy with these results in there as there's a lot of jargon involved which I don't really understand. I get better results just using Abletons Operator. I was experimenting with that last night using 4 fixed oscillators for the waveforms. The first being a low sine at a frequency of 41.4 hz, the 2nd being an 82.7hz triangle, the 3rd being noise pitched to 164hz and the 4th being another sine at 165hz. Each oscillator had a slightly different envelope section and amplitude level.

Osc 1 was zero attack with a phase offset of 48 % to give it a click and about 1 sec decay on the envelope, volume level 0db.
Osc 2 was 70ms decay and 8% phase offset. volume level -20db
Osc 3 was 1.06ms attack time, decay at 60.0, level at -40 ( waveform = noise looped )
Osc 4 was zero attack, 7.1 decay and a level of -10db.

The routing section was the first combination, master volume at -1db with a tone setting of 60%.

It's probably the nearest I have come to synthesizing an 808 in Operator and the reason I was trying to make an 808 was for familiarity, I think I want to really get the hang of it before trying out getting unique sounding kicks. Here's an audio sample of the result from above, just recorded into Wavelab direct from Operator.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ce192sui8d1ezqp
Bionic_Eye
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Bionic_Eye »

there is a 808 kick in ableton for operator
why dont you study that one as a start point

also..the forum seems quiterer but the topics / people who wants to help is getting better and better
Bionic_Eye
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Bionic_Eye »

once i got close to a villalobos kick with the following method
a 808 send to a return track with a resonator with a low dry wet percentage
the resonator set to a minor chord
loopdon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by loopdon »

NoAffiliation wrote:
loopdon wrote:NoAffiliation, please explain. It didn't sound especially wide to me in the high freqs (only place that would make sense anyway).
Measuremnts confirmed there is SOME stereo going on above 1000 Hz but it didn't really jump at me.
I basically split the kick into it's M/S components the S part was there but soo quiet.
If i am not totally off we perceive the amount of wideness a sound has by the ratio of Side to Mid signal.
If you could go into more detail about your findings, that would be great.
I also don't quite get what you mean by dynamic. To me it's a more or less volume fade from start to finish.
Nothing really jumping out at me in that department. If you look at the waveform you can see it can't have much sub content,
this also has something to do with the rapid decay. The only thing that struck me is the weird pitch bend which seems to fluctuate.
I dunno if that's so good, tbh. As is said before, i'd welcome you to go into more detail.
a fcking retard could make a rack and send the hi freq to a delay. i did no analysis i just listened and it's obvious. learn how to balance your subjective vs objective

dynamic = change in volume. his kick doesnt stay the same fcking volume ever. that's called DYNAMIC

go research binaural panning
(-) you seem excited
Hmm, lots of kicks change volume throughout, really don't see what so special about that. To me that pretty much is the essence of a percussive envelope, no?
I also don't know what kind of ''timbre-changes'' you are talking about.
You must hear a universe of sound in this sample. Like Ricardo went in on the waveforms on a sub-sample level to create the godmother of all kickdrums.

- I don't, sadly.

I could put it differently - there is NO great amount of stereo content in this sample.
I still don't know what kind of a delay you mean and what help it would be in this respect.
Do you mean a sample delay on one channel only? To ever so slightly add some wideness to the transient portion?
I think i staid quite polite in my reply, asking you to explain what you found.

Why should i research binaural panning and what makes you think i have never heard about it?

Stereo is always (!) about differences between two channels. The amount of wideness and the methods
used to achieve it may difer but the underlying principles are the same.
Last edited by loopdon on Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Bionic_Eye wrote:there is a 808 kick in ableton for operator
why dont you study that one as a start point

also..the forum seems quiterer but the topics / people who wants to help is getting better and better
I didn't like it and thought mine was better! :P
Toloache
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Toloache »

Sorry no affiliation but i cant hear any delay on the kick... look at the waveform.... it's identical in left and right channel... and i dont think loopdon dont know what dynamic is.. it's that you was talking about the whole song and he was talking about the sample posted.. difficult to speak of dynamic in a one shot... if dyamic is in fact generated by the relation of various sound...

and in fact in amazordrum intro, were i cut the sample, the most evident delay it's on the weird percussion, not on the kick..

If you wanna be objective.. look at the waveform in an editor and dont only listen...

sorry for the rant but loopdon was trying to be polite and helpfull, and you answered in a bad manner..
Oldskoolbunkert
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Oldskoolbunkert »

most of Ricardo´s Kicks were build with his modular system,
with a lot of cwejman, doepfer modules.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Oldskoolbunkert wrote:most of Ricardo´s Kicks were build with his modular system,
with a lot of cwejman, doepfer modules.
Cwejman BLD maybe ?

http://www.cwejman.net/bld.htm