interesting dub chord / stab sounds...

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: interesting dub chord / stab sounds...

Post by oblioblioblio »

Nice post from AK.

For me, the 2 crucial points of dubtechno are: that the synth is expressive, that the producer/composer knows their machine and how to make it sing for them. And, that the rest of the track fits into the vibe, such as the things that AK mentioned, of adding atmosphere, softening the kick drum into something pillowy and not sharp and punchy.

There's a part of me that gets annoyed at the idea of someone asking how to do this sound, mainly because you hear it everywhere. But at the same time, I think there's something that is a bit enchanting about working out these obvious sounds and dissassembling them so you can understand them and incorperate them into your own language of sound.

Good luck. THe fun times are ahead. Try everything.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

thanks again for all the tips and pointers.

the only reason i ask such banal questions like "which synth is this" is because i'm marginally impatient, and i sometimes get a sound in my head that i know i want, but have no clue how to make it, so i'm trying to cut some corners and make some cliffs notes for myself.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Up, down, up, down, left, right, left, right, B, A. :)

This sound seems more reverb than tone itself. But u might check out those massive presets will probably get u something to experiment with and learn from.

What tape echoes, reverbs are u working with?
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

There was a link on here some time ago to a freeware synth which had a very simple GUI and only a few parameters but it was designed to reproduce a 'dub chord' type sound ( amongst other things ) The inbuilt presets contained a few chords of various shapes. I think it was related to the guy that does the freeware stuff called Bootsy. Either he posted the link, or he made it, can't remember which. It's not on his site though.

I'm mentioning it because I'm hoping someone will remember what I'm on about and can name it. I'm interested in trying it again for myself. Anyone?
DeeperDub
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by DeeperDub »

AK wrote:There was a link on here some time ago to a freeware synth which had a very simple GUI and only a few parameters but it was designed to reproduce a 'dub chord' type sound ( amongst other things ) The inbuilt presets contained a few chords of various shapes. I think it was related to the guy that does the freeware stuff called Bootsy. Either he posted the link, or he made it, can't remember which. It's not on his site though.

I'm mentioning it because I'm hoping someone will remember what I'm on about and can name it. I'm interested in trying it again for myself. Anyone?
did you mean this one?

http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/201 ... ebie-tips/
techno isn't about the past, it's about the future -

if you can't agree about that, then you're house
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Wasn't it ronny pires? (sorry I know that spelling is wrong)

He used one of the Tal synths I'm sure.
Bionic_Eye
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Bionic_Eye »

cloutier wrote: but the very metallic, random sounds that it has throughout the entire track. so gorgeous.
are those metallic hits not just a hi-hat or tamborine sample through an autofilter with lots of reverb and some saturnation
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

DeeperDub wrote:
AK wrote:There was a link on here some time ago to a freeware synth which had a very simple GUI and only a few parameters but it was designed to reproduce a 'dub chord' type sound ( amongst other things ) The inbuilt presets contained a few chords of various shapes. I think it was related to the guy that does the freeware stuff called Bootsy. Either he posted the link, or he made it, can't remember which. It's not on his site though.

did you mean this one?

http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/201 ... ebie-tips/
No, but I just grabbed that freebie, thanks! :D

@BLM, yes, you're right. He posted a link to it, couldn't remember what it was caled but then I found it. http://www.ronnypries.de/gear/gearnews/ ... t-updated/ With the chord setting, the filter and waveform, it's a quick way to get interesting stab sounds and it sounds pretty damn good too.