Good Flanger/Phaser

- ask away
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

sure. you started about synthesis. vsts copies it without beeing innovative.
right? so i could have been more specific about wavetable synthesis which i think you were going for as you referred to the simulation of analog oscillator designs in digital world without innovations on that part but these innovations already have been done 30 years ago. i dont start a discussion about that old dead horse. ;)
techno made me do it
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

anyway. i love my moogphaser but i wouldnt sell my digital ones either.
but i would love to have a stereo analog phaser.
was thinking about the vermona but i heard mixed opinions about that.

Stereo Small Stone Phaser for Synthesizers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6fURkOPl5Q
something like this would be awesome
techno made me do it
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

deccard wrote:sure. you started about synthesis. vsts copies it without beeing innovative.
right? so i could have been more specific about wavetable synthesis which i think you were going for as you referred to the simulation of analog oscillator designs in digital world without innovations on that part but these innovations already have been done 30 years ago. i dont start a discussion about that old dead horse. ;)
i am talking about investigating phasing using synthesis.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

maybe you should have a look into the soundhack plugs...
the old ones http://www.soundhack.com/
and there are some new ones coming too:

+phasemash: sound distortion using phase nulling, phase shifting, band shifting and more
+pitchshift: a bipolar pitch shifter which can sound pretty good or very bad, with a pitch shifting vocoder option (requires midi in).
+strobophone: an ambience generator using multiple layers of phase vocoder or granular time stretching
+pvocloop: a simple sampler/looper using phase vocoder time stretching and pitch shifting (requires midi in on channels 0,1,2,3). Captures incoming audio, or loads soundfiles.
techno made me do it
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

oblioblioblio wrote:
deccard wrote:sure. you started about synthesis. vsts copies it without beeing innovative.
i am talking about investigating phasing using synthesis.
i get what your saying. but i cant think of where they couldve taken it.
you have the width of the pulse and you can modulate it however you want (with unlimited modulators in some soft synths) so you can modulate and change the phase however you want and modulate the phase of a different osc totally different. where else do you think they can take it?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

you can use different shaped oscillators instead of square, and you can add instead of subtract them. You can crossfade between adding and subtracting, and you can crossfade between the diffrent waveforms.... so much potential.

For a simple example, one of my favourite sounds at the moment is saw, with another saw with a different phase... then added together instead of subtracted.

You can also use another effect on one of the waves before you add them together (or subtract one from another).

To bring up modular as an example (although it is of course completely possible to investigate this effect with digital oscillators).... the Malekko Wiard Oscillator does the exact thing that I'm talking about. And the Livewire Audio Frequency generator goes even further with completely ridiculous possibilities for changing phase.

I am just using those oscillators as examples... the core idea of changing phase at the heart of a synth patch is not exclusive to those machines.
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

If your experience with flangers is exclusively vst based, you really owe it to yourself to check out analogue hardware flangers. You can get one of these for not too much money:

http://www.ehx.com/products/deluxe-electric-mistress

and from there you can get into all kinds of high dollar vintage or boutique flanger units. They are really great if used sparingly on aux sends with slow modulation. They add a little shimmer and movement to pads and delay repeats.

I am not bringing hardware up to be all "lolz computers suck" but just because hardware effects are fairly cheap and can be a lot of fun to use. If you already have a solid ITB set up, you should think about picking up an analogue synth and some boutique analogue effects. It is a great way to add a little flavor to an all VST workflow.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

oblioblioblio wrote:you can use different shaped oscillators instead of square, and you can add instead of subtract them. You can crossfade between adding and subtracting, and you can crossfade between the diffrent waveforms.... so much potential.

For a simple example, one of my favourite sounds at the moment is saw, with another saw with a different phase... then added together instead of subtracted.

You can also use another effect on one of the waves before you add them together (or subtract one from another).

To bring up modular as an example (although it is of course completely possible to investigate this effect with digital oscillators).... the Malekko Wiard Oscillator does the exact thing that I'm talking about. And the Livewire Audio Frequency generator goes even further with completely ridiculous possibilities for changing phase.

I am just using those oscillators as examples... the core idea of changing phase at the heart of a synth patch is not exclusive to those machines.
and again, sorry but i dont see here anything i cant do with soft synth.
i can take one osc, choose whatever shape i want and in the second osc choose whatever shape i want. i can change the phase and modulate it separately in each osc.
i CAN take a saw and mix it with another saw with different phase.
i can even take one subtractive osc and one additive and one granular and mix all three of them.
i understand the idea your saying. i just dont understand why you say software dont have this options when some already do offer just that.
Alchemy by Camel Audio is just one example.