DSI Tempest

- ask away
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

the two analog osc sound pretty much like the mopho...
techno made me do it
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

Hm. I would love to use one.

But.

I wonder how durable/repairable that thing, and a lot of the newer gear is.

I can't recall which synth builder I heard say that one thing that pisses him off is how components got smaller because of the cell phone industry and that it's essentially extremely expensive to make durable, sturdy electronic stuff...
patrickmrd
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by patrickmrd »

This machine is da bomb,i think nobody going to want to pay big money anymore for a 909/808 ,machinedrum.jomox,etc when this baby hits The market .smart choice of The designers.i know wat i,ll be playing in this autumn an octatrack with a tempest and my rozzboxx2 .finally The live set up i dream about for 10 years or so.
mystic rain drops sound manipulation
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i don't think it will have much effect on 808/909 prices.
bad new for the MD and jomox.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

oblioblioblio wrote:not a fan of Dave Smith stuff... dunno why.

this is a better advertising video, if nothing else. maybe it's a better drum machine too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4FNZCrg ... re=related
come on Mark, that's not even in the same league. metasonix are a cool company but this is one of their least interesting product imo. gimmicky and very limited.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

tone-def wrote:come on Mark, that's not even in the same league. metasonix are a cool company but this is one of their least interesting product imo. gimmicky and very limited.
i was mainly enjoying the fact that one company shows their product with a load of buzz words trying to reach their target market. And Metasonix jumps straight in by saying that he may or may not molest children, but I do make a drum machine.

About the d-1000...I'd be interested to try one. I've learnt not to judge Metasonix by their demos and what Eric Barbour says, but yeah it's totally a different product to The Tempest. The main thing I'd be worried about is reports of background noise from mains kinda hum.

I'm totally not a fan of Dave Smith though... seems a lot like software philosophy in a hardware package. But I should play around before I make too many assumptions.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

thom wrote:Hm. I would love to use one.

But.

I wonder how durable/repairable that thing, and a lot of the newer gear is.

I can't recall which synth builder I heard say that one thing that pisses him off is how components got smaller because of the cell phone industry and that it's essentially extremely expensive to make durable, sturdy electronic stuff...
yes i wonder too, i had my DSI prophet 08 open to lubricate the shitty encoders, and they are horribly fragile.
i was really happy when the new analogue/ digital synths came out, but in the end i was glad to be rid of the Prophet, i can see them not being very future proof, and its not just DSI stuff, ive had alot of newer synths go bad on me over the last 5 years.
in contrast ive got 56 individual modules in my set-up which are pretty much handbuilt from good quality components, and i havent had a single one fail in any way in a year of caning the arse off them.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:
tone-def wrote:come on Mark, that's not even in the same league. metasonix are a cool company but this is one of their least interesting product imo. gimmicky and very limited.
i was mainly enjoying the fact that one company shows their product with a load of buzz words trying to reach their target market. And Metasonix jumps straight in by saying that he may or may not molest children, but I do make a drum machine.

About the d-1000...I'd be interested to try one. I've learnt not to judge Metasonix by their demos and what Eric Barbour says, but yeah it's totally a different product to The Tempest. The main thing I'd be worried about is reports of background noise from mains kinda hum.

I'm totally not a fan of Dave Smith though... seems a lot like software philosophy in a hardware package. But I should play around before I make too many assumptions.
i doubt whether eric sold one of those machines on the back of that demo.
i'm a big fan of metasonix gear, i love my R51 but that drum machine looks like a big waste of money to me, and nobody from the machinedrum age is ever going to buy one after seeing that demo

but at least he tried to do something different