turntables + ableton live set

- ask away
clairo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by clairo »

sajin wrote:The knob on the looper allows you to adjust the bpm of the loop, it send no bpm info anywhere, and there are no midi connections.
In the loop instead of sending midi sync signal it adjust the bpm of the loop,so how it can do that? with a bpm counter i mean.
The microsync is a bpm counter (as the looper) and instead to pitch tempo the loop sends midi sync signals.
So if the looper works greatly so the microsync,why not?
Are your friends running v2 of the software installed on microsync?
Also, why you think is the cause of *2/:2 if it have inside a bpm counter?
It doesn't work as ableton,ableton do warping,don't keep the tempo by calcating the volume peak as a bpm counter do.
So do you have an idea why it do this? This is really or is a joke?
Thank you!
sajin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by sajin »

The looper works by tapping a tempo, then using the dial to adjust the bpm to match whatever else is playing.

The sync will take an audio signal and analyze it and create a bpm from the sample. Then send the tempo data via midi to ableton. btw - my friends don't own the sync anymore, it wasn't reliable enough for them. I would fear that the sync will make mistakes during its analyzation of the track tempo, and send varying tempo data. Imagine your playing along at 130 bpm and all of a sudden the sync thinks the audio is actually playing 145 bpm, and now your computer jumps to the speed, giving the crowd impression of a large train wreck. Where as if you had a controller the only time the tempo is going to change is when you change the tempo.

Just think of how a program, or the sync, is going to analyze a track. It may try and "listen" for the kick, but how is it programmed to do that. Probably it is programmed to recognize a certain frequency, then the amount of time in between the hits, and then calculates the bpm. Let say though you have a pad in your track that is about the same frequency, wouldn't this then effect the analyzation in effect giving you the wrong bpm.

When I bring in a track into ableton I don't have it warped at all because of that reason I do all of the warping myself. But I think I used a bad program for an example. In Final Scratch if you analyze a track a lot of the time the analyzed bpm is x2 or 1/2 the original, maybe it's because of the engine they use to analyze, but I’m sure the sync could have the same issues.

It really shouldn't matter that much if you're a good enough dj why do you really need to change the bpm of your computer. You should be able to match the records to the computer. This is tougher, but this way will make you a better beat matcher, I played like this for a few months before getting a midi controller and it made me one.

What it comes down to is finding the best solution works best for you and your set up. Look at how much money your going to spend and find the best gear to solve your problems. I still think having a midi controller will allow you to do this (tempo changing) and map out some midi controls for ableton it self (so you don't have to mouse everything)

I guess when I look that this situation I would much rather have all control over what is going on with the tempo of my computer, and wouldn't want to leave that up to another device.
daedum
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by daedum »

i used the Redsound sync about 5 years ago.. it didn't work that well. sometimes it was useless. but that was 5 years ago.
---> My album is out now on Beatport and iTunes. <---
clairo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by clairo »

sajin wrote:The looper works by tapping a tempo, then using the dial to adjust the bpm to match whatever else is playing.

The sync will take an audio signal and analyze it and create a bpm from the sample. Then send the tempo data via midi to ableton. btw - my friends don't own the sync anymore, it wasn't reliable enough for them. I would fear that the sync will make mistakes during its analyzation of the track tempo, and send varying tempo data. Imagine your playing along at 130 bpm and all of a sudden the sync thinks the audio is actually playing 145 bpm, and now your computer jumps to the speed, giving the crowd impression of a large train wreck. Where as if you had a controller the only time the tempo is going to change is when you change the tempo.

Just think of how a program, or the sync, is going to analyze a track. It may try and "listen" for the kick, but how is it programmed to do that. Probably it is programmed to recognize a certain frequency, then the amount of time in between the hits, and then calculates the bpm. Let say though you have a pad in your track that is about the same frequency, wouldn't this then effect the analyzation in effect giving you the wrong bpm.

When I bring in a track into ableton I don't have it warped at all because of that reason I do all of the warping myself. But I think I used a bad program for an example. In Final Scratch if you analyze a track a lot of the time the analyzed bpm is x2 or 1/2 the original, maybe it's because of the engine they use to analyze, but I’m sure the sync could have the same issues.

It really shouldn't matter that much if you're a good enough dj why do you really need to change the bpm of your computer. You should be able to match the records to the computer. This is tougher, but this way will make you a better beat matcher, I played like this for a few months before getting a midi controller and it made me one.

What it comes down to is finding the best solution works best for you and your set up. Look at how much money your going to spend and find the best gear to solve your problems. I still think having a midi controller will allow you to do this (tempo changing) and map out some midi controls for ableton it self (so you don't have to mouse everything)

I guess when I look that this situation I would much rather have all control over what is going on with the tempo of my computer, and wouldn't want to leave that up to another device.
Mmmm...
I agree with you,but the tempo mistake is for any bpm counter....
You know that redsound bpm counter is less good that software pc bpm counter or pioneer mixers bpm counter and so on ? I want to know cause i have to know how is the percentage of failure u're friends it has,so i can determine if it not good enought for me.
Cause if i must tap for every track in my laptop to paly with turntables and adjust the bpm with controller (ex behringer bcr2000) i think i spend much time to find the right tempo,isn't it?
For example,how to his work richie hawtin? Use always the xone? so the xone have a good bpm counter.
Hre are my photos @ timewark (mannheim - germany) last year, anyone find in these a sync?
http://www.edancers.it/pensieri/parties ... 47_jpg.htm
http://www.edancers.it/pensieri/parties ... 48_jpg.htm

Not Richie here :lol:
http://www.edancers.it/pensieri/parties ... 49_jpg.htm

And the least, is possible that in all over the world isn't a product that do that with a good bpm counting? The problem here is only one,the software that find the tempo.
If i have a good bpm counter i can construt a hardware that send midi sync....
Thank you for the precious infos 8)
brianc
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by brianc »

The BPM detection in the C-Loops/Cycloops/Peavey Grabber really is pretty good. I can't remember a time when mine's been badly off beat. Occasionally I have to move the pitch on the turntable about a millimeter to stay synched, but that's about it. If these machines can do it so well, so can one that detects and sends the tempo via midi.
clairo wrote: Hre are my photos @ timewark (mannheim - germany) last year, anyone find in these a sync?
The three boxes that you're focusing are all midi controllers. They're not producing any sound, just sending control information to Live, so there's no need for synchronization.
clairo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by clairo »

brianc wrote:
clairo wrote: Hre are my photos @ timewark (mannheim - germany) last year, anyone find in these a sync?
The three boxes that you're focusing are all midi controllers. They're not producing any sound, just sending control information to Live, so there's no need for synchronization.
Sure, the black boxes are berhinger , the red I don't know, but.... the blue box?
Do you know anything about it?

If effectively this problem of sync is unresolvable by hardware unitil now,so why don't look for a software that do that.
The software keeps the audio in input line,analise it in frequency,calculate the bpm,and send midi signal to the program running. This software must have a simple way to adjust the cut frequencies for the filter in the bpm counter, so we can adapt the software to the audio input,isn't it?
Looking to the net i find this
http://www.vjforums.com/showthread.php? ... =microsync
What do you think about it? Have you planned to try it? Have you ever tried it?
diefenwald
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by diefenwald »

What do you think its better

Grabber or C-Loops
MNUS
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by MNUS »

mut-ein wrote:What do you think its better

Grabber or C-Loops
I've been using the Redsound Soundbite (the follow-up of the Cycloops) for 1,5 year now, and it works perfect for me, but in a regular 2 decks and a mixer setup, for me it is like my third deck. I've heard that there is no different in the hardware of the Grabber and Soundbite, just a different package and brand. (and price?)