Syncing the arp on an SH101 using a Kenton USB Solo

- ask away
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

im gonna be grabbing a 101 in the next 2 weeks, ive looked at these kenton midi units, and im unsure if i'll need one, ive got an mpc 60 that has 8 outputs on it, could i just take a connection from one of my outputs into the clock input of the 101 and then use sequencer on 101? just i wont be able to afford the kenton unit for a while :(
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

MarkA wrote: Should all work fine, as it's just been refurbed.
However I had no end of trouble initially getting the midi to work with it, was ready to throw it out of the window. Went downstairs to make a cup of tea, came back upstairs and it was working perfectly :lol:
you shouldnt have trouble with this, its basic. are you sure your leads are OK ?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

gowans wrote:im gonna be grabbing a 101 in the next 2 weeks, ive looked at these kenton midi units, and im unsure if i'll need one, ive got an mpc 60 that has 8 outputs on it, could i just take a connection from one of my outputs into the clock input of the 101 and then use sequencer on 101? just i wont be able to afford the kenton unit for a while :(
i'm no expert, but all the CLK input should require is the leading edge of a square or pulsewave from an LFO or something to trigger it. .. i think !
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

you could buy a cheaper doepfer mcv4 like i did, i was looking at the kenton products but after having bought the moogerfooger 101 my budget only allowed the 90 € doepfer mcv4. with which i can flawlessy control the moogerfooger cv and the sh-101 cv/gate.

by the way this has been the analogueness year for me... i got a moogerfooger, an mks-50 (rack version of the alphajuno 2), a juno 106 and sh-101... i'm in synth heaven at the moment. the junos do have DCO and not VCO but i still look at them as analogue having CVF and VCA -whatever, just blowing the trumpets here. 8)
MarkA
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MarkA »

steevio wrote:
MarkA wrote: Should all work fine, as it's just been refurbed.
However I had no end of trouble initially getting the midi to work with it, was ready to throw it out of the window. Went downstairs to make a cup of tea, came back upstairs and it was working perfectly :lol:
you shouldnt have trouble with this, its basic. are you sure your leads are OK ?
yeah they've been running perfectly since it miraculously started working. Just going to have some dinner and make sure everything works
MarkA
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MarkA »

steevio wrote:try this;

get your sh101 playing along to midi from the CV / gate ins.

go to your soft sequencer make a midi part that is just very short notes (doesnt matter what notes) every 16th, send that to the SH101 instead of what you were sending it, but on the same channel.

unplug the CV lead, and leave it out.
unplug the Gate lead and add a 1/4" jack converter and plug it into the EXT CLK input.

press Load on the 101 sequencer and play in a couple of notes.

press Play on the 101 sequencer, it should play the sequence in time with the midi.
if you unplug the gate lead it will revert to the LFO speed.

this should work, it does on mine. if it doesnt, either the trigger/gate is too weak, or the 101 is broken.

i cant help you on the kenton USB Clock, my kenton is an old Pro 2 and different, but there should be a CLK output, this test is just to make sure everything is working but its also a good way to trigger the 101 as you can put groove/ swing into the clock pulse by using a groove template or swing on the midi notes youre sending, whereas Clock will just give you a metronomic pulse.
works perfectly, exactly what I wanted.
I love you :oops: