mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

no he meant on discogs for some old records
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

patrick bateman wrote:
roland wrote:just bought two records for £45.. i think £30 is my limit but on the other side i'm sure one day i'm gonna pay way more than that for a must have :D
For a new single 12" ?

damn.. i swear i was following this threat from the beginning on and i knew it's about prices of new vinyls.. must have forgoten it when i was reading that last comment before mine where blizt said he paid 40€ for pedro's album.. i thought without a doubt that he is talking about buying stuff from discogs.. just now i recognize that he actually paid 40€ for the new album in a regular shop :D

anyway it may be time to develop the threat and also consider the highest price one would pay for second hand records :D
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

The most I have paid for a 2nd hand record is £95

I guess the most I would pay for a new record would be about £10 - £20, and £30 for a double.

That would be a one off though, if vinyl went that way then I don't think DJ'ing would be a hobby I could afford.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

2nd hand records is not so interesting in this thread, because here we are talking about some producers/labels who take a higher price from the beginning due to various reasons (small quantities, fight 2nd hand high prices etc etc).
I know many people, including myself, have paid some quite high prices for 2nd hand rare vinyls (just to see them get a repress 3 months later :) ).

So new releases, please.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

if it's what you want and makes you happy then cost should never be a factor...

records are like comic books. it's someone's collection. some will pay, some will not. it's up to the circumstance of the individual to make that decision if it's within their budget..

:D
Ciaran_
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ciaran_ »

Morgy wrote:
Ciaran_ wrote:
Morgy wrote:
Ciaran_ wrote:I just noticed this yesterday too whilst browsing Juno. Theo single sided selling for £12.. and another record selling for £16.. ridiculous!

http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/412382-01.htm

http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/409159-01.htm

edit: Though I did buy Ability II - Pressure Dub single sided for £9.50.. haha I guess it depends on how much you are willing to pay..
I got ability II for £6.99 on honestjons.... :)
I should shop around!! No second hand stores here unfortunately.. or else Id be all over it

I dont have second hand stores either, just shop around online a bit. honestjons get some stuff in and generally a few quid cheaper than juno. Chemical-records is also superb for picking up the odd bargain for a couple of quid.
I did check Chemical, but always forget about Honest Jons.. they had that KMS049 Chez Damier repress in for ages after it sold out everywhere else.. definitely a good shop for all different kinds of music, I like their style :)
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

We could also turn the question around a bit.

Do you think it is okay to charge 25-30-50 euro for a new 12" vinyl, because it is super limited?
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

patrick bateman wrote:We could also turn the question around a bit.

Do you think it is okay to charge 25-30-50 euro for a new 12" vinyl, because it is super limited?
if labels can pass on savings to the customer i'm all for it. though a good business model involves not passing on savings, and making releases rare and therefore more valuable. it's all marketing, and these types of business practice are only going to help digital sales and further the eventual demise of vinyl. in a decade or two vinyl may be a special fetish genre for releases, somewhat like cassettes are now, with digital being the norm. theo parrish and all those "detroit god/grand-father" guys have really shaped the modern vinyl market, keep things limited, unique special editions, etc. the end result is that they can make a few 100%'s more for each releases while keeping printing costs down. i commend them for their business savvy, but i'll never in my life buy a $1000 limited edition of some detroit-father crapping drum machine rhythmns and calling it a "sketch".

i've paid $36 for an autechre record. great album, but definitely not worth the money i spent. the disappointment of feeling screwed on that deal has made me much more skeptical of spending more than $20 on anything vinyl (unless it's a bowie or jacques brel album).