building a dub/minimal/leftfield room in a 5000 sqft loft

- open
5meohd
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by 5meohd »

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

and I looked into the BYOB thing and it seems in my district you are required to have a license anyway.. so I might as well try to make up some of the cash by selling it?

what about the idea of a well established 3 drink limit? I mean facebook/internet is the prime way of advertising where I'm at...

we could cleary label our intentions on the pages... explaining why a 3 drink limit is GOOD for everyone?

no?

thanks for the responses guys! I want to settle the alcohol debate and move on to OTHER things you guys would want in an intimate space like this as DJ/Live PA's coming in to play as well as audience.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

don't do that mate.

create the vibe you want by knowing the crowd you are trying to attract. be prepared to start slowly if you aren't already connected with a community. use word of mouth. create positive intentions with the music, the layout of the club. the overall level of friendliness.

sure, be vocal about how you feel about creating an atmosphere, and a positive environment. but i think saying stuff like that, and putting unnecessary limits will not serve any useful purpose. Some people like to drink. Most of those people are as friendly and positive as any others.

I remember putting on a houseparty at my old house with some friends. I was refusing to chip in the buy a big pack of beers, saying that alcohol makes people into dicks and blah blah blah. But I was wrong, everyone was friendly. Everyone was a bit looser from drinking.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

why not go the easy way and just throw every drunk out of the club?!?

so people will know how to behave after some time
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

the only way i see it working is if you have it as a restaurant/coffee shop/bar kind of venue, where people can sit and have lunch listening to more ambient styles of music. have it as a daytime thing, close when all the night clubs are opening and open an hour before they close on the weekend. give them alcohol if they want it and remove anyone who causes trouble.
5meohd
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by 5meohd »

alright.. so I'll just get the license worked out and try to make every aspect of the environment place the crowd on the same level.

so what recommendations do you have as DJ's/audience coming into a space like this.

equipment, design, etc..
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

less is more. don't know how the loft looks like of course, but very minimalistic easthetics always works with this type of music. And you can build your stuff firm because all equipment in a club gets a serious beating. Rule of thumb: if it's not bolted down, it'll dissapear or get mangled 8) Just have decent sound, good bookings (not per sé the expensive guests, a strong resident often will get you further in the long run). Don't forget the sound treatment and try to keep all sound inside the roomn as that's where it usually starts to fall apart with the neighbors.

Looks like an amazing dream project man, jealous!
Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

work on a business plan

how will you pay the lease next year, in 5 years?

how will you avoid playing top 40/ hiphop when you can't pay the bills

how will you grease the local and state law enforcement to ignore your rave den

how will you grease the local mafia, motorcycle gang, heavies

how good is your lawyer, is he/she friends with the governor

what is your main source of income for the venue? food, drink, ticket sales?

how do you avoid a shooting at your club, and the public fallout after

how will you avoid be sabotaged by rival bars

it can be done, you'll have to work your ass off
best of luck
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

"5meohd" :)

hmm, "sanctuary", "no alcohol", "people respecting each other", sounds like a psy party or drum circle.

before you even think of investing your money or other peoples money into this you better have a clear vision of what you want. it doesnt sound like you do so far, i mean, you went from coffee cake and smoothies in a 5k sqft loft to sexy cocktails in a 5k sqft loft. you went from starbucks to afterparty spot in 1.2 pages.

the alcohol aspect is critical when it comes to profit and keeping the lights on. once you have a liquor license, you pretty much need to sell a lot of alcohol to make up for the cost of having the license, or the money has to come from somewhere like a high cover charge, but thats a bad idea because who wants to pay $10 to get in some place with ambient / experimental music? i think it would be hard to find a lot of people willing to do that especially in this economy. so drinks it is, but that leads to the next problem: if its music i think you're talking about, it doesnt encourage a heavy drinking atmosphere. one cocktail, its fine, but after the 2nd or 3rd drink, a patron generally wants to kick up the volume and tempo. so people would be like "well this was a nice warm up, time to move on to the club with the loud boom boom to match my elevated levels of dopamine and seratonin in my bloodstream".

i think it would help people here to give advice if you gave some more specifics: list exactly what artists you want to perform there, what hours will this place be open? post a youtube video of example of music.