A message from Mad Mike..........

- open
nowayback
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by nowayback »

Torque wrote:I'm not even sure what planet that comment came from. "Clear" was a multi million dollar record long before missy elliot touched it. Trust me, Juan has all the money he needs to live a comfortable life without any kind of grammy. This is a chance for techno to be recognised for once and you talk like the whole grammy thing should be an insult to techno. I don't know what kind of naive ideal you have in your head but the truth is that selling out can ONLY happen in the studio and Juan Atkins never even ever came close to selling out. For every track that has his name on it there are 3 that don't. He did all his music without a clothing style to back it up, cool german haircuts or any name at the time to call what he was making. He didn't wake up in the morning back then and think "I think i'll make some Techno today" because there was no such thing at the time. Juan is the real deal and deserves alot more than just some stupid statue to go on his shelf.
Ok man, i respect your views on this. We just disagree on the award bit. Perceptions of the word
'recognition' seem to vary, depending on how you look at it. I second all the things you said on
Juan's status. But i don't need to think of my techno heroes associating with pseudo-glamorous
stuff like Grammies or whatever. What will the techno spectrum gain whatsoever if Missy wins the
award?!? I just think that such awards direct to 'artists' like Justin or Mariah. But ARTISTS like
Juan could compromise with the award of love, respect and loyalty of their clued-up followers, just
like they've been doing for years. I don't mind if they win the damn thing. But campaigning for it
is just silly imho.

Please define recognition. I see this kind of recognition as licking on what we were once spitting.
Techno doesn't need this.
i can remember when the air was clean and sex was dirty.
http://prop4g4nd4.com
accdntly
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by accdntly »

what has "magic" juan atkins done lately? not much. hes a boring dj too. i cant stand this holly trinity detroit sh!t and i think its time people get over it. "oh no how blasphemous!!!". sometimes its just time to let go. i was watching an interveiw from i love techno with derrick may where he was asked "who do you think is missing from this line up". i think to myself "i bet hes going to say jeff mills". he says "jeff mills". WOW derrick how innovative and surprising. these boys are accredited for past contributions and to a certain point they deserve every bit. they "were" innovative, inspiring and important. now its time for them to get off the hi horse.
Jesse_mtl
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Jesse_mtl »

this is a sh!t post.

most " detroit " techno sounds like something my kid brother makes with fruity loops.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

ok accdntly
i agree with you somewhat.
I would agree with you completely if i actually heard some recent innovation from anybody else.
Jesse_mtl wrote:this is a sht post.
most " detroit " techno sounds like something my kid brother makes with fruity loops.
Wow! your kid brother must kick ass because most "minimal" i hear sounds like something my cat makes when he walks across my keyboard when i have the midi routed to control a .rex file in reason.

Don't pull some pretentious BS on here like the music you listen to is any more innovative than anything else. I work at a record distributor i hear damn near everything and i still hear about 10x more variety in sounds within Detroit Techno than i do within Minimal or anything else. Guess what here's a reality check.....IT'S ALL TECHNO and without detroit there would be no techno. When somebody comes with something that is not techno or anything else than to me that's innovation. Juan just put together Parliment Funkadelic and Kraftwerk and then BOOM you have Techno. When Rob Hood made Minimal Nation he wasn't trying to make minimal he was just trying to do what Mad Mike and Jeff Mills were doing down the hall at 2030 but he couldn't because he had no money to buy the equipment so he ended up through trial and error finding that his equipment started to distort and fck up the signal if he was using more than 5 channels. It wasn't some grand ideal that made minimal, it wasn't some pseudo german attitude and turtlenecks and some BS like "we just try to strip down music to it's rawest form" like the press loves to hear. It all came about because one very talented person didn't have the money to buy some real equipment so he made due with what he had, and yes even that mthrfckr was from Detroit. Take Detroit out of the equasion and you have nothing, not even this board to speak of. Ask people like Ryan Crosson, Lee Curtiss, John Clees, myself, Omar S, DJ DEX, Dj 3000, S2, B. Calloway, Brian Kage, Ultradyne etc... what they would be doing right now without Juan Atkins and Detroit Techno. The Industry wouldn't exist for us all to come into. Juan gets eternal props from me. Clear still works on a dancefloor.
audiophile
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by audiophile »

All I will say is this:

Infiniti, and all the tracks he produced under this moniker are some of the most BAD-ASS tracks ever!!!!! Game One beeotch..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

audiophile wrote:All I will say is this:

Infiniti, and all the tracks he produced under this moniker are some of the most BAD-ASS tracks ever!!!!! Game One beeotch..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
nowayback
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by nowayback »

Jesse_mtl > you're just wrong m8... YOU might not think much of it, but MILLIONS of other people do.

Torque > what's with all the anger dude? some of you Detroit guys act like you invented the wheel or
something... and people OUTSIDE Detroit got fed up of this... You think the world hasn't showed enough
gratitude for what Detroit has contributed? not enough respect? Europe and temples like Tresor, Rex,
Fuse, The Orbit, Voodoo etc made the Detroit boys famous... Why every now and then some Detroit dude
acts like The Great Defender of Techno and bursts into moaning about stuff like that? as if you guys
have some superiority complex? What's the purpose of spreading a story like the Hood one you mentioned?
It makes me feel more pity than respect the way you served it.

Those who know, know. But for those who don't know, this surely ain't the way to approach them.
Sick and tired of stuff like this. YES we respect Detroit. But PLEASE Detroit, lose some of the attitude.
i can remember when the air was clean and sex was dirty.
http://prop4g4nd4.com
augusto palma
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by augusto palma »

I think Detroit kicks ass and I don't know if it's a sin or whatever and I also don't care, but I think the latest Atkins in Tresor (Berlin Sessions) is actually very cool. I don't care about "innovation for the sake of it", no one of these true innovators propose themselves in the 80s anything of what use to happen (and is still happening) the next 25 years.