Torque wrote: Yamaha TX-81Z
Yeah, loved that one, nice FM synth with some huge basses
Goes for under 100 Eur on ebay now
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

Yamaha TX816 :)
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

tone-def wrote:
AK wrote:I'd prefer to own a pile of digital synths than analogue to be honest, esp FM or analog/digital hybrid synths. I think analog is over rated anyway, never particularly saw the attraction in the first place.
what analogs have you owned?

i think it's best to have a mixture of sound sources, analog synths, digital synths, software synths, samplers, acoustic instruments...
i think this is important, too many people have a lot to say about gear without actually owning the kit they are writing off.

instead of sweeping generalisations about digital / analogue/ modular synths, it would be more productive if people listed the synths they actually own and give a rating from first hand experience.

i have owned an equal number of digital and analogue synths, and i can safely say that they are/were all different and had different qualities.

i'd be happy to list them and give my opinion on them when i get a chance, but i'm real busy right now.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

steevio wrote:
tone-def wrote:
AK wrote:I'd prefer to own a pile of digital synths than analogue to be honest, esp FM or analog/digital hybrid synths. I think analog is over rated anyway, never particularly saw the attraction in the first place.
what analogs have you owned?

i think it's best to have a mixture of sound sources, analog synths, digital synths, software synths, samplers, acoustic instruments...
i think this is important, too many people have a lot to say about gear without actually owning the kit they are writing off.
+1
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

NewSc2 wrote:
victorjohn wrote:The Elektron Monomachine is the most used synth in my collection.
huh, really... how do you use it? i love my Machinedrum but i can't seem to get non-monomachine-y sounds outta my MnM.
I use it all sorts of ways. I have had it for about 2 years and use it extensively. I can only give examples via my soundcloud for actual sounds, but man I have gotten all kinds of crazy stuff out of it.

Dirt wash noise backgrounds Ostgut style, a convincing acid lead that nearly sounded like a 303 (no joke, I have my 303 right here to compare it to), huge gnarly blocky SID bass, chord stab brassy things, big pads, undulating LFO slow bass lava bubbles.

I love the Monomachine... It has a huge range of tones it can do. The key for me in getting the most out of every sound is using the Lvl, Dist, and Vol to shape how the sound hits the output, so that it can be as glitchy and distorted or as soft and round as it needs to be. Also the EQ section on the elektrons is always ultra handy for taking out nasty freqs that make or break a sound.

I love the monomachine!
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

steevio wrote: i'd be happy to list them and give my opinion on them when i get a chance, but i'm real busy right now.
i think that would be a good idea for a new thread. a place where everyone can just come and review any synth that they like. not a sound on sound review but a mini review just covering the good and bad points about the synth.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

it's a very very personal thing. what synths work for you.

i agree that objective reviews can only be a good thing.

it's very diificult to change peoples mind though. well, I know how much of a stubborn bastard I am.

For what it's worth I used to think digital was the sh!t. but now I think less so.

I'm happy for people to find out what works best for them, but I can't help but say how much analogue methodology changed my entire life.

But sure, I accept that not everyone is lucky enough to throw money around buying analogue gear. (for what it's worth I'm not a hugely rich person... I've been very lucky in some respects but I'm certainly not oozing spare money out of every pore or living a fantastic life of luxury).

If you can get results out of those digital machines then who am i to say that you can't.

Edit: Sorry, I don't mean to derail this thread too much. If you're on a budget there's definitely something very useful in these digital synths. Mostly just saying about my view on analogue technologies for the people that might be able to spend a little more.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

Robot Criminal wrote:Yamaha TX816 :)
If you have all the modulus i'm sure nothing on earth could even come close to it. But you'd need a phd in synthology to even fck with it at all. That thing is a programming monstrosity. Talk about epic.....