virus B

- ask away
boomstick
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boomstick »

Stomper wrote:If you can pass the multi timbral, i can suggest looking at Novation A-Station.
like the others, its a pain to program. but i dont think it sound thin and with a bit of the built in overdrive it doesnt sound that clean.
Stomper.
the supernova and a station have the same voice architecture, the supernova is multitimbral. so i could get a supernova and not have to pass on multi-timbrality.
beam me up
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

boomstick wrote:so, the nord lead 2x is preferable to the nord lead 3 for studio work? also, are there any major differences between the 2 and the 2x?
no not really, the 3 is a much more sophisticated machine. its easy to work with in any environment.

i'm not sure what the difference between the 2 and 2X is, google it.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Stomper wrote: any instrument can sound good if you use it right.

Stomper.
i totally disagree.

i know how to program synths, but i can get much better sounds out of a better designed, more complex and better sounding instrument than i can out of some shitty old digital synth. i used to have a yamaha SY77, it was an absolute dog, it sounded sh!t what ever you did with it.

if there wasnt any difference between synths and their capabilities, we'd all be using some bland generic machine and finding very little to get excited about.

every synth is different, and the timbre of your sounds is the most important thing when conveying the emotion in your music.
its the same with real instruments, you wouldnt ask a string quartet to play a concerto on shitty old violins with worn out strings.

sorry its a sore point with me.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

boomstick wrote:
Stomper wrote:If you can pass the multi timbral, i can suggest looking at Novation A-Station.
like the others, its a pain to program. but i dont think it sound thin and with a bit of the built in overdrive it doesnt sound that clean.
Stomper.
the supernova and a station have the same voice architecture, the supernova is multitimbral. so i could get a supernova and not have to pass on multi-timbrality.
You can also get a Virus TI and have the software editor.
but the A-Station is in the 300$ price range.

@Steevio
One man coal is another man gold.
maybe you just didnt like the of the SY77, but for someone else it might sound great.

Im not totally disagreeing with you.
better designed synth will sound much better from the start of the patch and will cut through the mix without too much work.
a cheaper synth will make you work much more to get the result you want. but if you use it right, it can sound very good.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Stomper wrote:
boomstick wrote:
Stomper.
You can also get a Virus TI and have the software editor.
but the A-Station is in the 300$ price range.

@Steevio
One man coal is another man gold.
maybe you just didnt like the of the SY77, but for someone else it might sound great.

Im not totally disagreeing with you.
better designed synth will sound much better from the start of the patch and will cut through the mix without too much work.
a cheaper synth will make you work much more to get the result you want. but if you use it right, it can sound very good.
i'm mostly commenting on sound quality here, i 'know' for a fact that my moog voyager sounds completely different to my prophet 08, theres just no comparison in the sound, i cant get my prophet to sound like a moog and vice versa, infact i cant get any synth in my studio to sound like any other, the architecture and electrical components are different, to me this is what makes it all so interesting.

to me the timbre of my instruments is of the utmost importance, as it is for most musicians, when i was a guitarist, i had to use a particular guitar, with particular strings, a particular amp, with particular tubes in it, with a particular amount of pre-amp gain, etc etc. or i just wasnt happy and i couldnt flow with my playing, and i dont know any guitarist who isnt exactly the same.

sure a good guitarist can pick up any guitar and play it to a competent level, but he wouldnt choose to do so in his recording and live work, and for me its exactly the same with synthesizers / drum machines etc.

if you can get a good TR909 kick sound out of a TR606, then you know something i dont.

it would be daft of me to say that there hasnt been good music made with crap equipment, but i'm talking about a general scenario here, in general good equipment = better sound quality
Last edited by steevio on Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

steevio wrote: we'd all be using some bland generic machine and finding very little to get excited about.

Just kidding :)

Seriously though.....
Even an SY77 has a good sound or two depending on where you place it in the mix. I know more than a few techno producers that play the sh!t out of that thing.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Torque wrote:
steevio wrote: we'd all be using some bland generic machine and finding very little to get excited about.

Just kidding :)
:lol: yes it did cross my mind, you bad man !
Last edited by steevio on Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i do have a soft spot for those 80's digital synths. it's probably nostalgia from my childhood. i'd love a roland D-50 or yamaha DX7 but their interface is sh!t and i know i'll get nothing out of them (tried with the casio CZ-5000).