How long to make a track ?

- ask away
kujoma
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kujoma »

A Track is NEVER ready ;)

Depends between sometimes 3-4 houres (without mixdown) just with soundcreating maybe 1-2 houre for the beats and the most time for the arangement. Most tracks are about 2-3 days. Some about months. Realy depends on my mood. I got (as all of you i guess) tons of unfinished ideas.
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

I normally write an EP in one or 2 days, I like writing in bulk, and throwing things down live, then reworking them quickly into tracks.

Once all the tracks are structuraly correct and sounding the way I want - I edit them a little and do all the post production in one sitting.

Not always, but I like it when this happens - keeps things consistent, and gives the EP's a bit of a flow.

I like to keep it quick, anything which is a pain or not working gets binned - I'm quite brutal that way :)

The aim is to get it out instinctively and from the heart without any delay, sometimes when you think about things too much - it can be constrictive I find - I want to hear the music in my head, as undiluted as possible.

This is for techno/minimal - for soundrack stuff it tends to take longer.

According to the spraff on the Jeff Mills site - The Bells was produced in a matter of hours - probably banged it out when he got home from the pub :) heh heh
William Tech
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by William Tech »

That depends on a lot of circumstances. Some times it's 3 hours on one day, and then 1 our the other day (fresh ears ;)) to finish it up. The best is to do this in the morning i suppose, somehow i'm best when i'm just out of bed :P

but hey, somehow some others tracks take me weeks to finish, and most of the time i'm not even remotely satisfied with it. The longer i take to find the sound i like, the most likely it is i'm not going to find it :P And when i find it afterall, i lost the inspiration in the process and can't do anything proper with it. Producing sucks :P heheehe
Ronny Pries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ronny Pries »

something between 30 minutes like these http://www.thinner.cc/releases.php?r=thn035 and up to days for few of these http://www.realaudio.ch/tec/ratc009.html. unfortunately, most of the tracks i start don't go anywhere :(
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

normally from one to three weeks, but i record live, so i may get 3 entirely different useable versions in that time. and i spend alot of time on production quality / mastering so that nothing needs to be done at the cut.

but the best stuff ive ever written, and the stuff which stands the test of time, was usually written and recorded in an afternoon.