ableont live for production?

- ask away
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

bad formulation from me... i meant:
4am wrote:the midi/audio timing of ableton live is not so tight as it should be.
in this situation:
4am wrote: especially when recording external sources
everything internal (audio/midi clips, softsynths and samplers) works fine
daveashe
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by daveashe »

I've had problems with midi timing generally with all sequencers, gave up and just stick to in the box now - if i need a hardware synth sound i just record the audio.. its that bad - midi should have been binned a long time ago.

I only have one hardware synth now, the alesis andromeda and even have problems using midi with that on a few different midi interfaces.
Last edited by daveashe on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Storlon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Storlon »

Everything on ableton here since V4. Was logic before. Got hooked by the grid at first like everybody, but ones you begin to understand the interaction in between the session/arrangement it becomes a real pleasure. One thing about live is that you need to have a really powerfull computer to run it at is best (cf:audio recording). +max4live is in beta test.
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

I make my tracks 100% in live, without using any external plugins. Started this in order to confine myself to leanr my tools and my basics right.
Starting to feel the need to move to something different, but last time i opened it i felt lost to do simple tasks, such as setting a sidechain, and loading a sample in the exs24...

A bit counterintuitive when you switch from live i find...

As for the "ableton" sound, it often comes from people pushing channels or instruments in the red. One must be carefull not to push any element of the chain in the red, or it creates digital distortion that can sum up very badly at the end of a long chain.

One other thing about live which is often underestimated are the clip enveloppes and the possibility to build effects racks. This alone is keeping me on that platform i think...

Again i'm very curious to try out Logic with an experienced person to really hear the difference (if there ever is one...).
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

daveashe wrote:I've had problems with midi timing generally with all sequencers, gave up and just stick to in the box now - if i need a hardware synth sound i just record the audio.. its that bad - midi should have been binned a long time ago.

I only have one hardware synth now, the alesis andromeda and even have problems using midi with that on a few different midi interfaces.
sounds like youve been unlucky, ive got a studio full of hardware all purring along on midi with not a single timing issue.

but i did bin my alesis andromeda. (still never had any timing issues on it)

i think that the problems arise when you start getting over complex hybrid 'in the box' and hardware setups, its best to stick with one or the other imo.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

steevio wrote:
daveashe wrote:I've had problems with midi timing generally with all sequencers, gave up and just stick to in the box now - if i need a hardware synth sound i just record the audio.. its that bad - midi should have been binned a long time ago.

sounds like youve been unlucky, ive got a studio full of hardware all purring along on midi with not a single timing issue.

but i did bin my alesis andromeda. (still never had any timing issues on it)

i think that the problems arise when you start getting over complex hybrid 'in the box' and hardware setups, its best to stick with one or the other imo.
I got to say steevio you are lucky if you don't have midi issues. Although you run mostly hardware, if you are sequencing at all from a computer there is normally some latency in the hardware, unless you are keeping the length of messages short enough for it to keep up.

MIDI is getting archaic, we need a new interface language. I have been really enjoying the use of OSC with a lot of the new gear/plugins.

ZOOOOOOM!

As for ableton, its fantastic. Sounds great. If you know what you are doing you can make anything sound great. So its really what you want. I learned pro-tools/logic/cubase/sonar/fruity loops and I think i will stick with ableton, and possibly use logic or pro-tools for clean up.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

livecollective wrote:

I got to say steevio you are lucky if you don't have midi issues. Although you run mostly hardware, if you are sequencing at all from a computer there is normally some latency in the hardware, unless you are keeping the length of messages short enough for it to keep up.

MIDI is getting archaic, we need a new interface language.
well i've been sequencing with midi for 18 years starting with cubase on an atari 520, ive used numerous sequencers, a huge amount of different hardware and ive never had a single problem. it cant just be luck.

also consider that i have equipment from every era, from a TR909 to a Prophet 08. at the moment i'm running around 30 midi channels to outboard gear. still think its luck ?

you have to use a decent midi interface, its no good using one output from a cheap soundcard and daisy chaining via midi thrus and long leads to all your gear.

i use a 4 channel interface, short leads, and i dont have problems.

i'd agree that midi is now past its sell by date, but come on if people had had these timing problems all along, there would have been no techno and house made in the last 20 years, producers would have given up.

imo cubase is rock solid for midi, thats why i still use it.
daveashe
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by daveashe »

steevio wrote:imo cubase is rock solid for midi, thats why i still use it.
Just out of interest, can you sequence a repetitive note and it will play spot-on every time without any glitches?