Demos

- ask away
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

SHAP wrote:hey, take it easy, it was just a joke ;)
I can confirm that it's more true than just a joke :?
SHAP
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SHAP »

cultural difference I guess, heard it from alot of label owners, but I mean most of them, not all of them, just to make that clear ;)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

patrick bateman wrote:
JonasEdenbrandt wrote:pheek how do you recomend going about this. If i send them an email do I still show them what music I make threw a link? I'm guessing it gets anoying as a label owner when people send you demos with a template letter. Does writing a more personal one that shows that you listend to there music count more as getting to know the label?
let me just say that an email with a yousendit link and nothing else = DELETE
or an email with "hey, I'm 17 years old and from south of italy, I make love to richie" and then a link = DELETE

If you take the time to first of all listen to the labels releases, so that you send to a label that has more or less the same sound, write a bit about yourself, what other labels you might be working with, if you play regularly, do parties etc etc... Remember, this is a small version of going to a job interview...
and if you send like 2-5 tracks in a zip file, then I would say the chances that label owners might listen to your demo is MUCH higher...
and then just wait, writing tons of new mails asking if we heard the demo is just annoying, we'll get back to you when we have the time...
i agree with patrick, but i'd like to add that i prefer it if i'm given a myspace link first so that i can decide whether it's worth downloading zip files etc. its quick and easy to do a quick check on myspace.

but it has to be accompanied by a personal message which proves to me that the demo sender has checked out the label first, anything else is instantly deleted.
if you send me a CD i will definitely listen to it !!!
its the only way you are guarenteed to get my attention.

we just do not have the time to listen to every random link that is sent.
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by 021077 »

hydrogen wrote:why call out somebodies nationality for a very simple mistake?
probably because he is a little fascist or just a racist
SHAP
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SHAP »

021077 wrote:
You got me man, I totaly hate italiens. Like, all day long.
And we all know that sending demos is a very sensitiv subject for the italiens :roll:
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

steevio wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
JonasEdenbrandt wrote:pheek how do you recomend going about this. If i send them an email do I still show them what music I make threw a link? I'm guessing it gets anoying as a label owner when people send you demos with a template letter. Does writing a more personal one that shows that you listend to there music count more as getting to know the label?
let me just say that an email with a yousendit link and nothing else = DELETE
or an email with "hey, I'm 17 years old and from south of italy, I make love to richie" and then a link = DELETE

If you take the time to first of all listen to the labels releases, so that you send to a label that has more or less the same sound, write a bit about yourself, what other labels you might be working with, if you play regularly, do parties etc etc... Remember, this is a small version of going to a job interview...
and if you send like 2-5 tracks in a zip file, then I would say the chances that label owners might listen to your demo is MUCH higher...
and then just wait, writing tons of new mails asking if we heard the demo is just annoying, we'll get back to you when we have the time...
i agree with patrick, but i'd like to add that i prefer it if i'm given a myspace link first so that i can decide whether it's worth downloading zip files etc. its quick and easy to do a quick check on myspace.

but it has to be accompanied by a personal message which proves to me that the demo sender has checked out the label first, anything else is instantly deleted.
if you send me a CD i will definitely listen to it !!!
its the only way you are guarenteed to get my attention.

we just do not have the time to listen to every random link that is sent.
Yeah I'm the same with Fear of Flying. Even if someone sends me a link on Myspace, I'll still check their Myspace first so I can get an idea of what they make.

CD's to me are a lot better. It also shows that the producer is making a bit of effort too. I ask a lot of people to send me CD's and they say they can't, which I have never understood!

We rarely sign stuff from demo's though. Pretty much all the music on our label we sourced ourselves.
SHAP
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SHAP »

::BLM:: wrote: We rarely sign stuff from demo's though. Pretty much all the music on our label we sourced ourselves.
Like alot of other labels. I think it's very hard to get a release on a big label by sending demos.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

SHAP wrote:
021077 wrote:
You got me man, I totaly hate italiens. Like, all day long.
And we all know that sending demos is a very sensitiv subject for the italiens :roll:
Sorry to get all serious. :P its just an international board... and there are some brilliant producers from all necks of the woods. Game on!!
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest