D.E.M.F. 2009

- open
infernal.techno
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by infernal.techno »

stevësto wrote: bassnectar is actually pretty damn good.
yeah, if you're living in fantasy land and enjoy burning man. the type of self-righteous "dj" who has to hype his own sets ("how y'all feelin?!"
"whooo check da bass on this one!") fucking blow, especially when their sets sound like playskool my first rave.

no, not everything at demf has to be that droning, minimal that we all love. hell, throw some quality hip hop, some rock music and call it a day.

but bassnectar and his fans can sit on it and twist. worst fucking hack "dj" ever
Bassnectar wrote:beatmatching...has become obsolete
and the same queef that was slamming dubstep 2 years ago is now all hype about it.

+++++

i'm sorry, it's just funny to see some of the livid opinions on certain minimal djs in this scene who people seem to not care for, and then there is hype for fucking bassnectar?

he's a chode

- matt
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

i'd get involved with this conversation, but i don't have the energy right now.

maybe on monday when i'm grumpy(er).
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

infernal.techno wrote: yeah, if you're living in fantasy land and enjoy burning man.
i do enjoy living in fantasy land. i get tired of living in the machine known as modern society, where individuality and artistic expression is hard to find, so yes i do enjoy burning man. i know that you have never been there, because you would not be making a snide jab like that had you ever been. you can go ahead and lie and say you've been there though ...
infernal.techno wrote: the type of self-righteous "dj" who has to hype his own sets ("how y'all feelin?!"
"whooo check da bass on this one!") fcking blow, especially when their sets sound like playskool my first rave.
that's a horrible blanket statement that any and all djs that have ever got on the mic like that "fking blow". its just your biased opinion because of the micro sub genre you are engrossed in. theres nothing wrong with enthusiasm and getting on the mic, its just a different type of dj'ing. minimal land has too many rules that frown on this sort of thing, the rules limit creativity and as much as people like to think they are open minded and creative, they dont realize how opposite of that they have become because of simply being focused in a genre.

i checked your feb promo, i can see why you have the opinion you do (its not exactly high energy get out of your seat and dance type of set), but i am not for example going to call some rock singer or rapper a chode because they use a mic because that aint my scene, i cant criticize something thats so far and different from my mentality. all i can do is appreciate other people's strategies, their mentalities, their vision for how to connect with people through music. i cant criticize someone as being trendy for playing deep spacey dubby minimal tech house, all i can do is find a deep spacey dubby minimal tech house set that's actualy good and moves me.
infernal.techno wrote: no, not everything at demf has to be that droning, minimal that we all love. hell, throw some quality hip hop, some rock music and call it a day.
that's going a bit too far dont you think? rock and hip hop? thats too far from a detroit electronic music festival ...

infernal.techno wrote:
but bassnectar and his fans can sit on it and twist. worst fcking hack "dj" ever
Bassnectar wrote:beatmatching...has become obsolete
and the same queef that was slamming dubstep 2 years ago is now all hype about it.
where did you see him say that? i dont really care what a dj says in press, i just listen to what they play personally, but you made me curious.

infernal.techno wrote: and then there is hype for fcking bassnectar?
he's a chode
theres not meant to be any hype, the point was made that even though its not minimal techie type music, its still quality in its own realm of the dance universe, but where do you draw the line for types of acts for DEMF.
infernal.techno
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

damn...took my post to the chop shop, eh?

that's great if you like the whole burning man thing. i peronally think it's cheesey.

trying to smash as many genres as possible into a 45 minute set can be ok, and it can also be horrendous. he makes it sound horrible.

rock and hip hop has been featured at demf before. hell, george clinton has performed there.

i know a lot of promoters out there are just now jumping on the bandwagon and booking this guy to play the same set he was playing 2 years ago, but he's been in my rear view for a while now.

sorry if you like this guy. i personally have no interest in some hippie mashing florida breaks, a dated dnb tune + bad dubstep together. also, i don't care for people who mix in ableton, call it a live pa and then call beat matching obsolete.

- matt
infernal.techno
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

stevësto wrote: i checked your feb promo, i can see why you have the opinion you do (its not exactly high energy get out of your seat and dance type of set), but i am not for example going to call some rock singer or rapper a chode because they use a mic because that aint my scene, i cant criticize something thats so far and different from my mentality. all i can do is appreciate other people's strategies, their mentalities, their vision for how to connect with people through music.
well...i am different. there is something distasteful with calling dubstep a fad and then labeling yourself dubstep + breaks pioneer.

check his own "bassnectar forum" for posts about dubstep....

being flamboyant and cocky, to me, is a part of dj culture. if you're going to be cocky and you can't even mix and call it obsolete, IMO, you should be laughed at...

/end rant
- matt
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

bassnectar sucks
infernal.techno
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

....but I'm not surprised he was booked.

OmniTempo Maximalism!1!111!!!!
- matt
grace anxiety
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by grace anxiety »

i was actually thinking of nectar and not bass nectar my bad