Beatport cuts round two.

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:
AVX23 wrote:What do people expect tho eh ? They are a corporate buy in on techno/house, diluting it to their own taste.

Personally I wouldn't p1ss on them if they were on fire, but I don't see much point in slating them tho, they are efficiant with what they do and completely above board, If you don't want stung by their corporate w@nkery - then don't deal with them.
+1

it's a bit sad that they're so popular. I can understand in the 60s/70s the need for corperate assistance... you needed big money for record studios/physical distributions, and to spread word of sounds. But in the age where as musicians we're basically going it alone with all the tools in our own hands, I don't see why it's necessary for them to be so popular.

I can imagine they can pay a large amount their running costs from advertising revenue alone. I certainly can't imagine them being poor, put it like that.

I saw Kompakt-mp3 had been taken down referring people to beatport which made me sad, but I guess it's in their interests somehow cos they're not stupid people there.

beatport seems to be operating through some weird monopoly from laziness. it's true they're good and efficient at what they do, but I find that business sense doesn't mix well with weird people doing their own thing cos they want to.

I'm just helping to start a small digital label and we're gonna try out using only paypal for purchasing. as a small label with different music it makes no sense for us to be using beatport. paypal take 20p & 3% approx per transaction, which is far far less than beatport plus another middle man.

spreading our sounds won't be easy, but doing weird musics being on beatport wouldn't help us anyway. we're gonna try the archipel style free 192 mp3 on a netlabel tip and but to have to pay for 320s/wavs. This seems to be like a nice combination of getting music into peoples ears for free, spreading word of what we're doing with a little try before you buy friendliness, but to be able to get a little cash for our efforts if people are wanting high quality.

I guess for bigger labels it makes business sense to go through beatport, but from my point of view, they can go fck themselves.
we are considering using these guys to host our wavs and 320kb mp3's
for sale from our site;
check it out.
www.payloadz.com

beatport havent dropped my label, and yet we only released one ep. in the whole of 2008 ( and it didnt sell thousands, far from it)
so i'm not sure that money is the only issue with them, it's easy to assume that of course.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

wow. that site seems awesome. pretty much all of the administrative stuff is taken care of... automated downloads for example. also flexible pricing structure depending on sales. nice one.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

i dont necessarily agree with beatport, infact i dont at all, but they are selling more commercial variations of the music. Thats fine, they are a business I don't expect them to appeal to a more experimental side of music.
bubbleguuuum
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bubbleguuuum »

What's annoying about beatport:

- the retarded flash interface that looks silly on a 1920x1200 display.
- crappy crap audio samples
- stupid pricing for full CD WAV releases (it costs much higher than a CD)
- 1$ = 1€.
- there's so much stuff that's its easy to get lost. Some sites with a much narrow but more focused selection are more useful to not waste time.

I don't understand why they have most of the market (except maybe because the y were the fisrt), but I'd gladly see them disappear tomorrow.
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

bubbleguuuum wrote:I don't understand why they have most of the market (except maybe because the y were the fisrt), but I'd gladly see them disappear tomorrow.
they are good at promoting themselves with the right faces. remember richie hawtin...? And other big names guys too. (I seem to recall he is even involved in beatport, cash-wise) so
will kinsella
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by will kinsella »

Sorry but too much rubbish does get out there (speaking in relation to the genres I would normally browse). No harm in having a clear out and letting some newer labels in.
Last edited by will kinsella on Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
will kinsella
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by will kinsella »

PS: I've heard unmastered stuff on some platforms, not good
Last edited by will kinsella on Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

i think beatport is a good thing. let them take the commercial side of dance music so the underground can reform itself. If beatport keeps on dropping labels, sooner or later something new will form for the people rejected by beatport. A good thing in my eyes.