mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Ha.. thats loads...
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote: With competition comes innovation.
This is kind of my point. Its time to evolve a bit. Beatport is a great business, I just don't agree with their business plan. But whats even worse is the fact that because they are so big, to a certain extent if success (monetarily even though its not) is my goal, I would have to work with them.
Last edited by livecollective on Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
menos160
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by menos160 »

and what about whatpeopleplay?
i like them. Also Boomkat is a decent option
Hutch
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Hutch »

I live in Colorado the home of beatport. They recently just layed off a lot of local employees here in the denver scene that have been with them since day one. Personally, I stay away from Beatport Top 100 and stray to peoples charts to find my good stuff. Anywho they are bringing a new design and layout this january. Should be interesting. http://www.beatportal.com/feed/item/the ... ur-senses/
miroslav
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miroslav »

I still buy vinyl, so I don't even use Beatport.

But that aside...know what I think is played out? Everyone always bitching out whatever it is that happens to have gained some success and thus to some degree has become a standard.

If a band like Deathcab for Cutie is unknown, everyone says it's great; if they get some success and fame, suddenly they "sold out". If Starbucks is unknown and makes little money, it's cool and hip; if it becomes successful and opens some more locations, suddenly it's not real anymore, etc. If someone like Richie is less well known, it's real and underground; if he becomes an icon and plays a lot of shows, suddenly everyone thinks he sucks, blah blah. It's human nature, I suppose.

It's very predictable, actually. And I suspect it has a lot more to do with egoism and personal psychology of the accuser than it does with anything to do with the accused.
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

livecollective wrote:
This is kind of my point. Its time to evolve a bit. Beatport is a great business, I just don't agree with their business plan. But whats even worse is the fact that because they are so big, to a certain extent if success (monetarily even though its not) is my goal, I would have to work with them.
Fair enough, but what part of their business plan don't you agree with? In my opinion, Juno was Beatport's top contender. They could have seriously taken a stab of of Beatport's userbase, but they dropped the ball big time. Beatport isn't necessarily making a monopoly, but no one is really stepping up to oust them either.
apanell
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by apanell »

don't you think that the original poster is precisely the kind of customer beatport wants
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote:
livecollective wrote:
Fair enough, but what part of their business plan don't you agree with? In my opinion, Juno was Beatport's top contender. They could have seriously taken a stab of of Beatport's userbase, but they dropped the ball big time. Beatport isn't necessarily making a monopoly, but no one is really stepping up to oust them either.

Their business plan is to SHOVE as much music down your throat as possible while retaining little to no knowledge of half the music they sell.

Beatport is the only viable outlet right now for most labels, and I am unhappy thats the case.

Which is precisely why our label will be going netlabel with ltd vinyl releases from now on.

Apanell, I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.