Richie Hawtin - Ibiza Voice Porcast

- dj/live pa

Moderators: John Clees, Benjamin Fehr, Tim Tor, Thomas Melchior

vermi
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by vermi »

primevil wrote:has to be the worst set i've heard from him.
not far away at least.. surprisingly boring set with too much effects... and the trackselection, even worse imo.
b-ran
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by b-ran »

the levels are all fucked up for this set
Krul
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Krul »

primevil wrote:
Krul wrote:I seriously wonder how many of the naysayers above me actually tried to listen to this mix or just skipped through it. I'm at 2:30 now and this is one of his best commercially available sets in ages (much better than the RA podcast) his mixing is furious and I've got no complaints on flow or track selection thus far.

bonus points for the extra-loud bass :P
i actually tried to listen to this in one go as i always do with most mixes i download in order to give me a time to appreciate the flow, but i just had to switch it off because it was painful on the ears (that didn't help by the distorted recording for the first 2/3rds.

it seems like by surrounding yourself by only a few 'like minded' individuals is having an effect on the taste of his music. it's just sounds like a collage of his own re-hashed idea's, but watered down by 2 or 3 generations (in electronic music thats like 2 or 3 years).

i don't like the way he now uses his effects to constantly stutter the flow of the music and i don't care how much technology he is surrounding him self in, if the music isn't good then i'm not buying into it. what happened to the way he used to use his effects, he always used to be so subtle and well timed with his fx, now it's pretty much every 4bars a real nasty sounding beat stutter or delay feedback is thrown over the top..

if you go back and listen to his 3 de9 mixes starting from decks fx & 909, the difference in standard is almost unbelievable. he may be making his next transition and i may just 'not get it', but my gut tells me that this time, i don't think he has got it right. thats my 2 cents anyway.
I agree that the difference in standard compared to the de9 mixes is HUGE, but those are mixes with an entire concept behind them. As for the the effects, I also agree that he uses them too much, but not to the point where I think it becomes annoying (although yes there are mixes where he really overdoes it) and in no way do I think they interrupt the flow. Hawtin's sets always have had a kind of druggy, chopped up feel to them (at least that's how I experienced it the 3 times I saw him spin).
The selection also shows that he's looking beyond the minus posse for inspiration. There's some pure banging techno around the 1:44 mark, and yes, in the beginning even sounds a bit housy for his standards.

but hey, gustus et coloribus ;)

oh, and can anyone id the track at 2:45? sounds like a great tool.
cloutier wrote:
minimalwyte wrote:When does Digweed come in?
he comes in around 1994 and leaves around 2002.
dave_essex
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dave_essex »

seen phil kieran n fergie live guess u can call em 'big dogs'
acidcriminal
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by acidcriminal »

In which club and on which date was this set recorded ?
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

This set is OK but nothing mind-blowing. It's been awhile since I've come across a recent Hawtin set that's really made me stop and notice and throw it onto repeat.

The Hawtin set I find myself going back and putting into repeat is one from him at Even Further in 1998 - not even for the 'banging' parts of the set, but the middle hour of the set gets into wobbly-headfuck-minimal land and it's done so damn well.

This isn't that bad of a set, but nothing to gush over IMO.
primevil
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by primevil »

dave_essex wrote:seen phil kieran n fergie live guess u can call em 'big dogs'
tut thats shameful, techno is made for clubs, not home listening! get out there kid!
dave_essex
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dave_essex »

i actually agree on that 1 lol.