Broken beat minimal.

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Sphere42 wrote:Death is not final. What a tune! I think we can expect more tunes like this, cos he moved to Berlin now, so local minimal scene will surely have some influence on him.

oblioblioblio, have you checked his set for Mary Anne Hobbs? Very deep and inspiring set.
yeah it's been nice to see him on the slow-ish techno flex. means I can use his tracks more easily in dj sets! heheh.

I really love how he uses eastern and mystical influences... in some electronic musics they just kinda throw in a sample over the top of whatever they were doing anyway, whereas shackleton seems to really breathe with them right though his core.

hmm I think I listened to it but it didn't grab me. but maybe i just wasn't paying attention... I'll give it another listen. cheers!
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

Sphere42 wrote:Firstly...

fck ME THREE TIMES!!! This is my THIRD ATTEMPT TO POST REPLY. After writing a long one (lost) and short one (lost too), I've decided to write sht down in fricking wordpad and then copy/paste it here. I'm trying new Opera 10 alpha, and suddenly, written text now does not stay written while going back/forward.... don't ask my why I did went back, cos I really don't know....

Ok, now....

Steevio>>>

Nice music up on myspace sir! Also you've got my interest in your new label.
Keep in up!!!

Sven>>

Thanks for poiting out Emmerichk. I've found very nice tune on YukiYaki (YkYk006) called "Jewish" from him, and it is very nice track with that kind of rhythm I was after.

victorgonzales>>>

Damn, I completely forgot about this one

Dana Ruh - Ohemja (Seph remix) (Harry Klein Networks 2008)

Nice tune with kind of creepy atmosphere and broken beat on top.

In the first post that I was writing, I was talking lot about dubstep, but to keep it short, have a listen to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWsEBlDtgAw

It's part from Shackelton's set on Sonar this year.
If you're after stuff in the vein of Shackleton and Skull Disco, there's loads of it out there at the moment. Check out:

Appleblim
Peverelist
Headhunter
Kode9
Kontext
Pinch
Martyn
Sphere42
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Sphere42 »

damagedgoods wrote: If you're after stuff in the vein of Shackleton and Skull Disco, there's loads of it out there at the moment. Check out:

Appleblim
Peverelist
Headhunter
Kode9
Kontext
Pinch
Martyn
I named everyone from your list but Pinch (how could I forgot about him???) and Kontext (which I don't know, gotta check him out) whne i was writing that post for first time :)
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

isn't broken beat minml dubstep?
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

@hydrogen- no not really. check its wikipage or google some of the bigger artists....its not necessarily minimal and its more jazzy than dubby.

i wouldn't have categorised steevios music as broken beat myself, but i'm not the best at genre seperation. anything that has a guitar in it is "rock music" in my eyes.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Atheory wrote:@hydrogen- no not really. check its wikipage or google some of the bigger artists....its not necessarily minimal and its more jazzy than dubby.

i wouldn't have categorised steevios music as broken beat myself, but i'm not the best at genre seperation. anything that has a guitar in it is "rock music" in my eyes.
i can see how you wouldnt mate, i suppose it depends which tracks youre listening to. several of the tracks on the records i mentioned were written after seeing bugz in the attic about 5 or 6 years ago, and i was excited by the rhythms they were using. i wasnt at all into the rapping and MC'ing, just the syncopated rhythms.
when the first record came out it was being sold as dubstep by phonica. at the time dubstep was an embryonic genre and it hadnt quite fully crystallised into what we call dubstep now.
the thing is whatever anyone else thinks or wants to call it, it was written as a minimal broken beat album, i subtracted the elements of brokenbeat that didnt work for me.
i think theres now a case for saying that some dubstep is 'minimal brokenbeat' regardless of the lack of jazz influence and the fact that its supposedly dub influenced, it's definitely rhythmically similar, but you could also say that dubstep is just slow, dark drum and bass without the snare patterns, the style of the modulated basslines is lifted directly from dark D&B.
thats the great thing about music, everyones interpretations are different, and the more mixing and matching of ideas the better as far as i'm concerned.
its strict adherance to genres that stagnates music.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

^^^

yeah agreed. a genre or influence filtered through an artist means that things end up souding differently if he imprints his personality or style on it.

re the dubstep thing. i hate where dubstep has gone, with a few exceptions obviously, but generally, it had loads of potential, but, its all a bit boring to me now sadly.

ps looking forward to your new label, and still enjoying your loose funky tracks!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

^^^
i hear you about dubstep. its the inevitable consequence of genre formation, you get an explosion of mediocrity hiding the quality stuff that started it, and which is still there somewhere. its happened with every genre of music i've ever got into.
but we cant blame people for getting into it and wanting to have a go, my reaction is to just move on to something else, and not worry about what everybody else is doing.
shackleton is a good example of someone who hasnt just stuck to the limits of the genre he helped create.
i remember talking to the guys at Swag in Croydon who were responsible for starting the Tech-house genre, shortly after it had become a huge world wide phenomena, and they hated being called Tech house and dissassoiciated themselves from the genre they had created. for them it had lost the vital energy which was there at the start, and had become watered down really quickly.
it's just the nature of the beast unfortunately.