16/44 or 24/96

- ask away
Daemonix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Daemonix »

NoAffiliation wrote:
Daemonix wrote:
clubfoot wrote:also an extra tip; if you can simply run your main outs through an analog mixer and back into your DAW you might find it improves the sound - you'll need a stereo input on your soundcard of course.
I know about the first tip but can you elaborate on this on?!

Thnx
Tasos
run your master output from the soundcard into a "line-in" on an external, analog mixer. then run the master output of the mixer back into an input channel on the soundcard and record that...
hehe

No how to do it... BUT why it is better to pass the signal from an analog mixer... ? :)

thnx
Tasos
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

So potentially you could run out of your DAW > mixer > back into an xlr or some sort of balanced input?

would that be a good idea?
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

yeah, so route the signal in that way. basically, it will give the signal some analog 'warmth' which I find results in a more 'together' overall sound which can be missing from a purely digital mixdown. any dj mixer will be capable. the quality will of course depend on the mixer.

try it just with your drums - compare a digital master with one recorded out through a mixer and back in. you should notice the drums sound more grouped and together.
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

harvey wrote:I've got an 828 mkII so that shouldn't be a problem. so eventually i'll only export a single audio track instead of the whole arrangement inside of the locators? At the moment i set my locators around the whole track, select all and export audio. Sorry, but it sounds the same exporting a single track, no? Proper confused to f**k now :oops:
so what you want to do different is not exporting (rendering) anything. set up a spare audio track to record from the main outputs of your DAW (or record the inputs from your external mixer if you are gonna use the analog mixer method i suggested). Now play your song while recording. This will record your song rather than render it. Make sure, of course, that you have your recording options set to the desired bitrate/kbps. Now you will have a file saved, wherever you specified the recording to be saved to. That file is a mixed down wav of your song, ready to be burned to a disk or whatnot.

btw, which DAW are you using?
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

in ableton there's a "resample" option for a channel, it basically records your master output.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
harvey
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by harvey »

clubfoot wrote:
harvey wrote:I've got an 828 mkII so that shouldn't be a problem. so eventually i'll only export a single audio track instead of the whole arrangement inside of the locators? At the moment i set my locators around the whole track, select all and export audio. Sorry, but it sounds the same exporting a single track, no? Proper confused to f**k now :oops:
so what you want to do different is not exporting (rendering) anything. set up a spare audio track to record from the main outputs of your DAW (or record the inputs from your external mixer if you are gonna use the analog mixer method i suggested). Now play your song while recording. This will record your song rather than render it. Make sure, of course, that you have your recording options set to the desired bitrate/kbps. Now you will have a file saved, wherever you specified the recording to be saved to. That file is a mixed down wav of your song, ready to be burned to a disk or whatnot.

Cubase!
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

harvey wrote:
clubfoot wrote:

Cubase!
easy peasy then
harvey
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by harvey »

clubfoot wrote:
harvey wrote:
clubfoot wrote:

Cubase!
easy peasy then
ha ha ..Of course the audio file will be in my cubase file folder when i record. So use dither in my master output from cubase and record at 44/16 . Cheers all.