coloured vinyl

- ask away
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

thanks

Who else on this forum is attending? I think i'm coming on my own, so would be nice to meet up with a few people....
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

Here's the lowdown from what i'v experienced. The best vinyl is definitely black with just a little bit of re-grind. 100% virgin vinyl wears out too quick.
the worst ones are the transparent colors because they wear out fast but the worst of the worst seems to be the transparent yellow and orange ones because they go to crap really quick and gather up allot of clicks and pops. the two best of the colored ones seem to be blue and red. The blue ones i don't like as much because something about the die in the vinyl make the sound too bright. Red is a good one for getting allot of midrange on a record. Usually good for really brutal cuts. The life isn't as good as black vinyl though. All of the colored ones seem to take away something from the low end on a record. If you ask me honestly though i wouldn't waste your time on colored vinyl. If you're going to do a limited edition record it's better to keep it on black vinyl and do something like cut an extra track on the b side or something, then when it's ready for the regular run just re-cut the b side minus that track.
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

That's mental Torque, very interesting, I would have thought it would be more down to the mix consistency of the pigments and vinyl than the colour itself. I'm also thinking that there are different grades of vinyl thickness and quality, some plants charge extra for that heavyweight cut, so would it be possible that it's all down to the price you pay and the plant you use ?

If it was me I'd probably spend the money on getting really nice card for the sleeve and do a nice matt finish print with a free postcard or something like that.

Lots of nice Artwork for the MT stable to choose from I'm sure :)
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

do a smile curve on the EQ, and then print on red vinyl to boost the midrange! just joking....
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Torque wrote:Here's the lowdown from what i'v experienced. The best vinyl is definitely black with just a little bit of re-grind. 100% virgin vinyl wears out too quick.
the worst ones are the transparent colors because they wear out fast but the worst of the worst seems to be the transparent yellow and orange ones because they go to crap really quick and gather up allot of clicks and pops. the two best of the colored ones seem to be blue and red. The blue ones i don't like as much because something about the die in the vinyl make the sound too bright. Red is a good one for getting allot of midrange on a record. Usually good for really brutal cuts. The life isn't as good as black vinyl though. All of the colored ones seem to take away something from the low end on a record. If you ask me honestly though i wouldn't waste your time on colored vinyl. If you're going to do a limited edition record it's better to keep it on black vinyl and do something like cut an extra track on the b side or something, then when it's ready for the regular run just re-cut the b side minus that track.
All the above is also what I have heard through the years.
A good pumping red coloured vinyl is Dave Clarke Red 2 on Bush !
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

thanks torque for the interesting info.

anyway guys, i've decided against the coloured vinyl, after talking to my mate who is vinyl nutter, he's got thousands of records from way back, and he confirmed that coulured vinyl tends to gather clicks and pops easily, and wears out quicker.
i've also heard the red vinyl rumour, but i still think that which pressing plant it comes from is probably more likely to cause differences,
my mate also pointed out that you can never be sure that black vinyl hasnt been recycled, but i do know that my pressing plant uses virgin.

so black it is.
G3rard
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by G3rard »

Ive bought quite a few doubles of tracks that I originally purchased on coloured vinyl then purchased on black vinyl and I definately noticed the difference. Ive also got this thing about buying a track on 45 if possible as I find quite a few cuts on 33 have inferior sound quality.

I must say Freerotation was my highlight of last year.
There is definately a 30 seater going from Cardiff which has pretty good train connections from all over so if anyone finds it easier getting to Cardiff and is stuck getting there send me a PM and I will try to find out how many seats are left.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

I'm going freerotation.