Simple question / difficult answer for PC laptop users

- ask away
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

I just started using my new laptop out live, It came with vista, and though I wanted to put XP on it , I haven't had the time, so I've stripped back a lot of the vista functionality and it works fine.

I had a problem with ableton in that it was glitching when I was triggering clips, but I've changed the sample rate on my soundcard and in ableton to match at 96k and it all works fine, was having problems running at 48/44, apparently this is because 96k seems to be the native state of my soundcard and resampling it down all the time was causing the glitches.

I'm not 100% sure this explanation is correct, but I've tried it out live running lots of plugins and running lots of clips and it all works fine and it rarely crashes, the only time I've seen it crash was when I was running like 15 large 48k clips together through a load of plugs on each channel and on the master, and then started changing the warp modes as it was playing, other than this, I've yet to encounter any problems and the sound is much better than on my desktop running (cos of the soundcard obviously).

So I'm leaving it as is for now.

but in general - I do not like Vista, I run photoshop/Illustrator etc and they run like a brick, I've got 2g of Ram and I'd say it needs around 4Gig , particularly If you are working with large images and lots of layers, On my desktop it runs much faster and it's only got 1G of Ram and much less processing power.
dyte
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dyte »

on a completely non music related point, vista doesn't work with loads of our group policies we took fecking ages setting up to lock everything down.......handy :lol:

and it looks like a cheap os x rip off