number of downloads/income from beatport

- ask away
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

Ok, if it's an AWESOME track, a once in a lifetime track (so to speak) I'll buy it anyway. But it stays on my hard-drive just for me to listen to. It doesn't go into my set.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

S.D.L wrote:Ok, if it's an AWESOME track, a once in a lifetime track (so to speak) I'll buy it anyway. But it stays on my hard-drive just for me to listen to. It doesn't go into my set.
so possibly at the cost of the quality of a set?
dyte
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dyte »

i never check the charts, and i have a list of stuff that i'm after that gets checked every so often (loads of stuff on it, old releases and newish stuff).

generally just fire through the bucket loads of new releases, think the average over the last few times i've listened to around 1500 previews and only added around 10 to the basket, not good :(
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

Atheory wrote:
S.D.L wrote:Ok, if it's an AWESOME track, a once in a lifetime track (so to speak) I'll buy it anyway. But it stays on my hard-drive just for me to listen to. It doesn't go into my set.
If a quality set only have recognisable tracks in it, then yes. But I have a lot of other great tracks that in my mind are equally as good, so there's no quality loss.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

S.D.L wrote:
Atheory wrote:
If a quality set only have recognisable tracks in it, then yes. But I have a lot of other great tracks that in my mind are equally as good, so there's no quality loss.
dont get me wrong, i wouldnt personally even go near beatport cause i dont think its worth it. the amount of time to expend on finding, one or two tracks that are good but not exactly forward thinking, is not my thing at all. just looked/listened to a few charts there, and i wasnt really impressed by what was on them.

but it does kind of concern me, and maybe i'm wrong, when the criteria for building a set has to be mainly the idea that there is some sort of imagined exclusivity in the tracks. like people are too wrapped up in the fact that they are spinning a few tunes and what that says about them and their choice and taste, than the important part, the music.

there are some tracks from this century that have been really popular (say perlon, playhouse, milnor modern, freude am tanzen, even kompakt etc.) that are excellent and sell very well for a reason. i buy/listen to stuff from many small labels also, but the quality for me is not always there, in terms of production/freshness of ideas/craft etc.

but i havent listened to one of your sets or anything, so i could be totally wrong.
Koppnicker
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Koppnicker »

Well, I always found it pretty shitty, that there are SO much releases on the one hand. On the other hand it's cool, that so much musicians have the oppurtunity to release their stuff.
But as you said, the overwhelming mass of releases just buries many many good music. I guess there is no real answer how to manage this problem, but a "shuffle"-function (best with a list, where you can make a check at those genres you wanna dig through) would be very helpful, 'cause in that way you have at least the chance to find pretty good music which lasts at beatport for months, or years.

Yes I know, that his is pretty off-topic, but I just wanted to throw this in the "room".
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

Atheory wrote:
S.D.L wrote:
Atheory wrote:
dont get me wrong, i wouldnt personally even go near beatport cause i dont think its worth it. the amount of time to expend on finding, one or two tracks that are good but not exactly forward thinking, is not my thing at all. just looked/listened to a few charts there, and i wasnt really impressed by what was on them.

but it does kind of concern me, and maybe i'm wrong, when the criteria for building a set has to be mainly the idea that there is some sort of imagined exclusivity in the tracks. like people are too wrapped up in the fact that they are spinning a few tunes and what that says about them and their choice and taste, than the important part, the music.

there are some tracks from this century that have been really popular (say perlon, playhouse, milnor modern, freude am tanzen, even kompakt etc.) that are excellent and sell very well for a reason. i buy/listen to stuff from many small labels also, but the quality for me is not always there, in terms of production/freshness of ideas/craft etc.

but i havent listened to one of your sets or anything, so i could be totally wrong.
I hear yeah, there some exceptions for the rule. But not that often.

And it's not like I'm looking at the charts at Beatport all the time. But when looking for tracks and when I'm gonna buy them, then I do.
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

When I finish browsing through beatport, I mark the date on my calendar. Then the next time I go there, I start where I left off so nothing is missed. I listen to each track for about 3-5 seconds. If it doesn't grab me, I move on. If it does grab me, I'll check out more of the track, listen to the break, etc and put in my crate. When I'm ready to buy/download, I listen to all the tracks in my crate about 3-5 times each and really decide if I wanna buy. Usually I'll delete about half of them seeing that I either won't use in a set or a mix. Sometimes I'll keep tracks for listening. For example the Matthew Dear Spectral release. I can't see myself using the majority of those in a set or mix, but I like the music and will listen to it.