No music in this town..

- open
grace anxiety
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by grace anxiety »

im from belfast and there is only two clubs that would have good acts playing. its mostly the same crowd everyweek attend because they enjoy the music and the atmosphere. however my town is also plagued with hardstyle and cheesy rnb!!
tettezak
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tettezak »

PsyTox wrote:sounds like you're living in Belgium. Apart from a few venues (Fuse, Silo, KozzMozz, Decadance) it's terrible here. With often stupid sht hapening like people asking to play "some beyonce" on a techno or minimal party.
And of course the country is infested with the plague called "jumpers". Also known as hardstyle. Kill! Destroy!
Hardstyle people would bitchslap you for this, those are 2 different styles! ;)
But yeah it's pretty bad in Belgium (and where I live, Bruges..)
Castronova
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Castronova »

If I were the promoter for whatever event you're attempting to forcefeed minimal, I would've already cut you off. It's obviously not working for you or the crowd, and you need to try something else.

You need to set up your own party, find the right kind of people, and make them want to come. Even if they're not exactly into minimal, find some similar style, or even some kind of personality trait like open-mindedness, or someone who likes to dance to anything. Get them to be comfortable in a room together. Play stuff they're familiar with and slowly adjust them to your music. When it's not working, throw in something they know again and ease back into your music. Eventually they'll trust you and your party enough to listen to whatever you play.

I've done this in a town of 10,000 people and another of 50,000. Indianapolis and Columbus have way more people (and therefore potential) than those towns. It's a long process, but nothing is going to happen if you just wait around and hope for people to change by themselves.

In my hometown of 10,000, a group of 5 or 6 cheerleaders showed up uninvited, and actually ended up liking the music the most. They just loved to dance and they'd never heard anything like it. You never know...
djshiva
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by djshiva »

Castronova wrote:
I've done this in a town of 10,000 people and another of 50,000. Indianapolis and Columbus have way more people (and therefore potential) than those towns. It's a long process, but nothing is going to happen if you just wait around and hope for people to change by themselves.
well, the issue with indianapolis (and i would assume columbus as well, since it is midwest too) is a bit more complex honestly. we have had a damn fine electronic music scene for years (several well known techno, house and dnb producers are from here), but the economic factor just cannot be written off here. fuel, food and the cost of living has risen to an extent that ALL entertainment businesses are suffering. people don't come out because they cannot afford to go out. factor in the lack of good public transportation and you have a city that just cannot support it in these economic times.

why go out when you can stay home and listen to music sets for free? it just is not economically feasible here to go out on a regular basis anymore. i am not surprised or perplexed by the situation, just frustrated.

trust me, nobody here has just sat on their asses waiting for things to happen. in the midwest, if you want it done you HAVE to make it happen. but the economic factors are just too large to overcome at the moment.

thank god for internet radio. i can play for several hundred people worldwide instead of playing at a club for 10.
adelaideperson
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by adelaideperson »

good luck trying to get a minimal style music night going in a regional country town! you may need to build it up from the grassroots level first ie start with some houseparties with a few friends and take it from there! hope it all goes well!
go
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by go »

adelaideperson wrote:good luck trying to get a minimal style music night going in a regional country town! you may need to build it up from the grassroots level first ie start with some houseparties with a few friends and take it from there! hope it all goes well!
its all be done before... this is nothing new for me. ;]
go
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by go »

adelaideperson wrote:good luck trying to get a minimal style music night going in a regional country town! you may need to build it up from the grassroots level first ie start with some houseparties with a few friends and take it from there! hope it all goes well!
its all been done before... this is nothing new for me. ;]
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

even in detroit it wasn't until a few years ago..

sure it was played - and YES it was there since the rob hood days of way back..

but it was very very selective..and in my opinion it wasn't until (just) a few years ago it became a platform..