Best Sound Engineering/Production Courses in the World?

- ask away
mrgreynoise

Post by mrgreynoise »

Hi,

My education is in music composition, piano & violin performance, jazz improvisation and musique concrete. Most of these studies took place at Concordia University, McGill University and the Montreal Music Conservatory. I never took a class in mixing or sound engineering. However, I learned many principles from the classical theories of harmony, counterpoint and orchestration which I apply directly to mixing and sound engineering. Same concepts, slightly different medium. Incidentally, I am writing a book about this. ;)

My advice to you is to focus on a music education if you want to be a composer/producer. If you want to be more of a recording engineer/producer, a music education is perhaps not as crucial, but also certainly far from useless.

Nick
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

I'm doing a (BA) hons in music technology at TVU London (London College of Music and Media)

I've got mixed feelings about the course.

The Pros

The course covers a wide range of music technology with a lot of freedom to focus on your future aspirations.
The university is one of only a few apple and native instrument sponsored universities so you can get massive discounts on all apple and NI products (a lot more than your standard student discounts)
Very good facilities. Mac labs equipped with Logic, Abelton, Protools, Reason, Cubase, NI Komplete and many other music apps. Lots of studios with analog and digital mixing consoles.
Very good staff some with over 30 years in the business. Pip Williams http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pip_Williams Paul Borg http://www.recordproduction.com/paul-borg.html
Lots of valuable free study time. you have enough time for uni work and your own personal projects.
It's London the best city in the world imo home to fabric, the end, corsica studios and a lot more. Really nice underground scene Sud, Runsounds, Multi Vitamins etc, etc...

The Cons

It sometimes seems like they let almost anyone on the course.
1st year is quite slow but if you don't know some of the stuff you will struggle in year 2 and 3. I did pick up some useful tips which didn't seem like much at the time but looking back now i realize it was important.
to many students, you have to book studio time quick or your fucked!
West London is nice (not as much crime) but all the techno parties are 30mins or more tube journey.
It's London expensive! not a problem for me.
Last edited by tone-def on Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

mrgreynoise wrote: My advice to you is to focus on a music education if you want to be a composer/producer.
From my experience, whilst I am young, and perhaps with an unrealistic naivety, I believe that although obtaining a musical education is crucial in the process of becoming musician, where this education is obtained is not important.

In fact, I might even go as far as to say that for producing techno music, an institutional education may even be counterproductive (in some instances). Often the music works with far different principles to those which are effectively applied in jazz and classical music. For example, you might listen to djs for an entire night and not hear a single key change but the crowd is still joyously captivated by the performance, just from simple variations in timbre and rhythm.

Obviously, I do not wish to imply that a composer/producer must simply work with feeling, removed from all forms of ritualised study, referential analysis and collated experience. But rather that these are things which can also be learned through carefully directed self study, especially with the glut of information in our immediate virtual environment... wikipedia, internet forums and other people's music, for example.

Another reason for me believing this way is that often the terminologies used in classical western studies are fairly concealing. All musical principles can be related to maths and physics (which to me is the easiest way to understand a lot of them), and in many instances the definition in western study makes little reference to this. For example a 'perfect fifth' is meaningless unless someone is familiar with the historical context, whereas 3/2 is something that most people can easily understand.

I don't want to imply that an institutional musical education would provide no useful materials to apply to repetitive dance music, because that would be stupid. I jsut want to challenge your view that the process of becoming a composer/producer definitely involves an education in the classical sense.

Obviously my view has been formed and therefore biased through personal experience, and I would be happy for you to prove me wrong. I actually find many of the concepts in classical studies fascinating, but it is the arrogance with which they are often upheld that has been particularly offputting to me.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Hmm, on second thoughts it seems you are just directing the original poster towards a focus on theory of music in general, rather than insitutionalised study specifically. Please excuse my little rant on why I'm not the biggest fan of classical training.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

at oblioblioblio, as far as i remember my course has covered very little to do with music theory. i know some people with absolutely no experience with theory or a musical instrument and they get by. Although it will help a lot if you know the basics. I've made a lots of dance music so far and no classical or jazz. for my live recordings like produced dub, acoustic rock and some kind wired dub rock track. if classical music was my thing i could have recorded it or composed it in the MIDI parts of the course.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

yeah man, I agree. I was just talking about my views on classical interpretations of music theory in response to mrgreynoise's post. Sorry for the confusion.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Yeah i agree too. classical theory is not that important in techno.

What did Richie Hawtin play as a kid?
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

tone-def wrote:Yeah i agree too. classical theory is not that important in techno.

What did Richie Hawtin play as a kid?
hide & seek?
(search & identify) :lol: