5 , 4 , 3 ... techno

- open
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

grave wrote:theres no way to predict that. would you have predicted that the return of us style house would be the next big thing?
is it?

i think dance music will become much much slower, more hypnotising and much much more musical.
today one of the problems with the soft synths is that people have thousands of synths and they look at them as sound source and not as instruments, in the past people had minimoogs, modular moog, arps and so on and the explored the possibilities of those intruments.
They learned to play on the minimoog, they learned to play on the cs80 and so on...
Now its just all about the sound, not the instrument.

Take a guitar for example, you can make so much with a guitar, hell you can even play drums on them...

i would like to share this video with everyone here.

These guys made music in the 70s, sounds very uptodate (hell even better then some sh!t we have today), Daft Punk took the helmet thingy maybe from here(maybe not) The faceless techno bullshit might have took some influences from here too. anyway enough of talk, check it out for yourselfes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1llNSdf9cl4

Edit: after writing the bullshit above, this thought came to me.

it all depends on the market, if the audiance wants hard music it will get hard music if it wants slow it will get slow music. Housey, Techy,Jazzy,Soulfull everything depends on the audiance, the artist will do everything the market demands.
:lol:
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

I don't think there will be much change in the next five years. There will have been countless forgotten "trends" from the UK, maybe some 90s revival, but people will still argue what's the difference between house and techno or if minimal actually is a genre. I think every kind of techno plus (or minus) something crossover has been played out so far, so I don't see any possibility for anything really "new" to approach. Club culture is so widespread today already that it's impossible to distinguish genres and trends anymore, and I don't believe it will organize any more clearly in the next years. So if we can't even state anything about today's scene, how do we want to predict anything about the future?

The only thing that will definately change is that we see less and less vinyl around, but I do believe there will be vinyl labels left in 5 years, though they won't make much money.
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
primevil
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by primevil »

dsat wrote:
Rich wrote:I think it will get harder again. A lot of what is being called Techno at the moment is just tech-house. It is weaker, slower and more gentle than true Techno. It is funny to see magazine articles saying that Techno has become much more popular now, because most of what they quote is not really Techno. A few of my friends have ben DJing Techno for years, and none of them accept Minimal or Tech-house as really being Techno. They enjoy it, but it isn't Techno.

so the early techno from detroit with the moody chords and jazzy and funk influences is not techno because it's not hard?? so derrick may, kenny larkin, carl craig, UR, etc is not techno but weak tech-house??? the word "techno" was only used by juan atkins to make a distinction between what was happening in chicago and detroit in the 80's... chicago was house and detroit was techno... it's really all relative.... if you were around in 1987, you would know that "techno" does not necessarily mean "hard".... know your history bro ;-) and don't accept opinions from others just like that, do your own digging and find out for yourself, it's not so hard
absolute DITTO. i feel sorry for people who think any other way. TECHNO will always change and evolve like the true technological chameleon it is....that's why I love it. for me House is ying and Techno is yang etc....both need to co=exist to survive.

the boundries are so blurred now, you can play a track and make it seem like pure house or you can play it and make it pure techno...it's all about the feeling. for me when house music is at it's best, it has that warm feeling you can just let your self go to, when techno is at it's best you can get the most raw intense moments that melt ur mind!
Rochey
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rochey »

I have no idea...
Here for a Good Time, Not a Long Time!

http://www.louchemusic.com
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

new guy, that video is top sh!t! i really hope it will come back to what this vid is about. house music already went in that direction with a handful of artists, but i guess the music is way too sophisticated for wide acceptance.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
JackNine
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JackNine »

dsat is totally on the money. Techno doesn't always mean hard, even though a lot of techno is hard. Just like when you say "rock & roll," that includes everything from Elvis to The Rolling Stones.

Look at the original DBX stuff from the early 90s. That's definitely techno and it's anything but hard... most of it is around 125bpm.
Rich
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rich »

Yeah - it's not fast, but it is hard!!!

Beep, Bleep etc are all stripped down, robotic banging tracks with heavy bass drums and literally no melody. That is techno, and that is hard!

But as you pointed out, not fast. So like I said, it doesn't have to be fast to be hard. The difference between techno and house is the vibe they create, and techno is generally darker and harder, more industrial sounding. Maybe I misunderstood mate, but you seemed to actually agree with my point there.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

JackNine wrote:dsat is totally on the money.
totally agree on that one.
JackNine wrote:Look at the original DBX stuff from the early 90s. That's definitely techno and it's anything but hard...
ur kidding right? Electric shock (loosing control/baby judy whatnot) is not hard? :) then why am I allways dancing like it seems I'm gonna loose my limbs then? No house music can do that. (Ok theres that sht called hard-house but thats allmost trance and just wont do)

anyway I see more genre-merging. Theres allready total "minimal" influence in pop and hip-hop music, if u haven't noticed...
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...