politics of acquiring unreleased music

- open
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

Fonque wrote:Most of the people getting them illegally before it's released will get themselves a legal copy afterwards.
sure...
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

dsat wrote:i shared some unreleased stuff a while back, with a limited number of people.... 2 weeks later it was on the p2p, we didn't release the vinyl as a result

i guess to some (or many people) music is seen as a consumption product, prêt à porter... do they care if someone spent time and money... nope...

the new generation of kids don't seem to understand that we had to fight for our music, but now everything is taken for granted... 'respect' is just a cool expression without any meaning
:idea: second that. Unfortunately.
G3rard
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by G3rard »

Patience is a virtue, as someone said before a good track will stand the test of time and you will be able to play it for years to come. There are plenty of gems out there which can satisfy your need for good music while your waiting for that "must have" track to be released. Id much rather get digging and find bits that no one will have rather than a track that everyone is playing.

Either that or put all that effort downloading into making your own productions. Then you'll definately stand out and maybe earn some respect aswell.
pizzamon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pizzamon »

G3rard wrote: Either that or put all that effort downloading into making your own productions. Then you'll definately stand out and maybe earn some respect aswell.
werd. Do something useful.
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: politics of acquiring unreleased music

Post by stevësto »

pheek wrote: Do you feel better now that you shared your point of view?
i think i know what you mean by that. you're saying im justifying my immoral action as to not feel bad about what i know is wrong, to compensate for the guilt i feel deep inside. correct? then i could say the same to you: you are saying your point of view to feel better about hiding the truth you know deep inside. the truth that at some point early in your dj/whatever career, you did the same thing too. ok i dont know that for a fact personally you, but im sure most producers, before they became producers, "improperly" acquired unreleased music at some point.

there are also a lot (ok i dont know how many, ive met only like 5 produers in my whole life) of producers that really, really, really dont care about the money. producers who do this in their spare time, as a hobby, and have a day job. they are doing it purely for the fun of it. i met a few at burning man for example (i thought of bm because im going again next week). There, they have this public domain philosophy with art where art can never be bought or sold, there is no form of currency, only trades, and even that is very very much optional. but i digress. bottom line, you have your opinion, other producers may not feel the same, or if they do agree, not give two shits to soapbox or actually do something about it like post. you can present yourself as the laid back free bird type, or the lars ulrich of metallica type. whatever, im rambling.

the other truth i think is being hidden inside by producers is how hard or how much time it takes to make a track. i have read interviews where the guy who made a well known hit said he made it in a weekend start to finish. perhaps he doesnt care if people are playing his unreleased track, but the guy who slaves thousands of hours will if someone plays his. sometimes a really good track doesnt take a lot of time to make.

so with those "truths", i ask you the same question, do you feel better now that you shared your point of view. i'll answer that question with i didn't feel guilty in the first place the last time i acquired an unreleased track. it was like a month ago. some guy came in from orlando and i asked him what track that was, he handed me the cd, all it said on it with a sharpie was "heater". when i handed it back he said keep it. had no idea it was unreleased. how the hell am i supposed to know. jeez.

so i dont know what to tell you "samim". ummm, sorry. can i get you a beer or something when you're in town? (if samim were to ever read this)
pizzamon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: politics of acquiring unreleased music

Post by pizzamon »

stevësto wrote:
pheek wrote: Do you feel better now that you shared your point of view?
then i could say the same to you: you are saying your point of view to feel better about hiding the truth you know deep inside. the truth that at some point early in your dj/whatever career, you did the same thing too.
I remember pheek when he was not a name. He was in the right place, at the right time, and surrounded himself with inspirational people who where the record makers of that period (and still are). He had no need to act the way you are acting. He worked at it a long time. Not as long some, but he is still going strong.
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

pheek wrote:What will it take for you guys to understand there's some people who gets bothered by sharing unreleased material?

Especially if it was not acquired through the artist or something.

To read all these explanation, justification, rationalisation just make me see that there's a lot of people who are disrespectful and irresponsible. I dont care about your chickens, if I say it annoys me, can you please respect that? What's wrong with this world?

I dont know what sort of relationship you guys want to have with people who make music but sometimes I feel like we're at your service and everything we do is a due for you. Personally, I really would like to have a good relationship with artists I admire and would never go against something they would ask me not to do. It's seems logical to me, why isn't for others???
im not saying we're not wrong, but understand some of us live in a place where we don't have a "scene" where we have actual producers running around in the clubs we can talk to. if we did, there would be more of a face, a personality, a human attached to that piece of plastic. in my town we have 0 producers of minimal/tech/or even house really. zero. there are maybe 2 djs in the whole city area that play out minimal, if any at all in their set of at least "house" music. so to us, this is a micro, weird, off the wall thing that practically no one is into but us. no one knows or notices or has knowledge of what came out years ago, or what is new, or what is unreleased. on top of it all, this is all music mostly coming from these nifty cool far off places like "berrrrlinnnn, oooh" or "montreeaauuuhhhlll, awww".
dsat wrote: i guess to some (or many people) music is seen as a consumption product, prêt à porter... do they care if someone spent time and money... nope...

the new generation of kids don't seem to understand that we had to fight for our music, but now everything is taken for granted... 'respect' is just a cool expression without any meaning
im 31. its not a generation thing, its the environment you live in i think.
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

pheek wrote:What will it take for you guys to understand there's some people who gets bothered by sharing unreleased material?

Especially if it was not acquired through the artist or something.

To read all these explanation, justification, rationalisation just make me see that there's a lot of people who are disrespectful and irresponsible. I dont care about your chickens, if I say it annoys me, can you please respect that? What's wrong with this world?

I dont know what sort of relationship you guys want to have with people who make music but sometimes I feel like we're at your service and everything we do is a due for you. Personally, I really would like to have a good relationship with artists I admire and would never go against something they would ask me not to do. It's seems logical to me, why isn't for others???
im not saying we're not wrong, but understand some of us live in a place where we don't have a "scene" where we have actual producers running around in the clubs we can talk to. if we did, there would be more of a face, a personality, a human attached to that piece of plastic. in my town we have 0 producers of minimal/tech/or even house really. zero. there are maybe 2 djs in the whole city area that play out minimal, if any at all in their set of at least "house" music. so to us, this is a micro, weird, off the wall thing that practically no one is into but us. no one knows or notices or has knowledge of what came out years ago, or what is new, or what is unreleased. on top of it all, this is all music mostly coming from these nifty cool far off places like "berrrrlinnnn, oooh" or "montreeaauuuhhhlll, awww".
dsat wrote: i guess to some (or many people) music is seen as a consumption product, prêt à porter... do they care if someone spent time and money... nope...

im 31. its not a generation thing, its the environment you live in i think.