Jeff Milligan Interview

- open
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

goood!
nice man.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
TMCM
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TMCM »

trensp wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jeff's "pro-environment" argument against vinyl... pretty interesting
come to think of it, i'm surprised there is no discussion about jeffs 'vinyl-hatred' at all! :lol:
coffee makes you happy... except when it messes you up.
Twitter Last.FM Facebook
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

Cool interview! Jeff in a very insightful guy and bloody articulate!

On the resident advisor DEMF review i read this:

Deer in the headlights: Troy Pierce

What are you looking forward to at the DEMF?
Actually, Model 500, but I won’t see them because I have to play at the Minus afterparty at the same time. That was the only act I really, really wanted to see.

Anyone else?
I’ll go, but nothing else is catching my attention in a huge way like that. I did remixes for Cybotron, so I wanted to see the closest to the real thing that they’re going to be.

Jay Haze?
Jay is really funny. He’s maybe the most genius comic in techno.
hehe :D [/img]
milc
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by milc »

very nice interview.
inspiring, thanks!
milc
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by milc »

stevësto wrote: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ffxeCs578Kg

ive played that to a room full of people once, and only the people who could see the computer screen appreciated it, the 2 girls in the kitchen said oh my god turn that crap off sounds like a broken video game.
for me it sounds very very good without visuals.

but i think the sound quality on youtube makes your friends saying that it sounds like crap.

anyway, i agree with you that classic 2 deck set up with short mix can rock million times better than some 16 decks set up controlled by crap djs.
(don't know about sven's case, never saw him playing...)

i saw luarent garnier did some 15 minutes of blending but it was boring as hell. (and villalobos also, even though i know that some of you will really sh!t on me blaming him!! hehe)

:wink:
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

Well Jeff Milligan doesn't do 15 minutes of blending, and it's not about holding two beats synched for the longest possible time. He plays four decks with a lot of fast inter-cutting with the single tracks. So the difference is (a) the cutting and (b) the inclusion of more than two sound sources. Wish some people would finally realise that DJ skill is more than beat-meatching, even on vinyl.

Unfortunaltely the possibility of mixing with more than two turntables is so widely ignored that dj skills is considered either beatmatching (techno) or turntablism (hip hop). Is is very sad that the vinyl age will pass without more people exploring the potential of those possibilities.
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
milc
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by milc »

personally, i don't care about too much beat-matching.
i try to do the best i can, but when i absolutely want to introduce a track in a moment and there's no time to beat match then i just open the fader and let it go, let people hear those swooosh sounds of pitching.

i've learned that skill from jeff mills.
many people think that he's technically-a-machine, but between 3 decks, 909, and 70 records per hour, sometimes he just put a record and let it go.
but the track is introduced so bloody right moment that you end up to believe that he did it on purpose to make phase effect or something.

what makes me disappointed by certain djs is not thier beat matching or other skills, but EQing/filtering. it doesn't mean that i'm good on that, it's very very hard to master it and have your personal expression from it.

but when you hear so-called super djs doing, "cut LF totally then boom" each 5 minutes or using gain control to have sub layer, then well, you definitely have much more respect to a guy like jeff miligan, for sure!! :wink:
JackNine
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JackNine »

Good interview.

I'd agree that Jeff's skills as a DJ are up there with the best in techno/house. His transitions, cuts and fades are truly awesome.

His productions aren't really my thing though. Sort of like Magda, they're better off staying DJs and rocking us with great track selection and mixing.