The Minimal artistic ideal

- ask away
Alphajuno
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Alphajuno »

Labels are only attached as a way of communicating an idea.
tzusing
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tzusing »

Alphajuno wrote:Labels are only attached as a way of communicating an idea.
right, which is why i don't understand why many are so opposed to actually communicating ideas about what minimal/minimalism is. since you know...this is a minimal techno forum. forum.. look that word up.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

tzusing wrote: btw i find it strange that not more people want to explore and share ideas on this topic. this is a FORUM. and this is MNML.nl.
While, I like conceptual ideas about music, its not what is driving me to produce music lately. ATM, My primary focus is feeling and production quality.

It takes a lot of energy and thought to get really intellectual about this sort of stuff. After a long day at work of being artistic, discriminative, and extremely technical, I'd prefer to just go with the flow. Once, I let go of the strong intellectual mindset that I once had for music, writing music has been a way more positive experience.

Thanks for the reminder. :D
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

In relation to the questions that were posted. Really minimal is just a term people used to describe something.

I would say most of those things might have this "minimalistic" influence.

I really hate the term minimal, but its the only thing right now that I can use that people outside my group of techno friends can somewhat understand.

They usually think of it as boring. They look at minimalistic artwork and think boring, bland, uninspired. While I get all hyped up about some works. like Franz Kline or Mark Rothko. Or even a lot of graphic design, like Mike Cina.

At the end of the day what does it really matter? Minimal? Maximal? Techno? They are all just words that describe nothing. I just want to get inspired to dance, paint and play.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

it is what it is
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

call it funky, and insist on it that it's funky, then everyone will believe it's funky.
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

tzusing wrote:
btw i find it strange that not more people want to explore and share ideas on this topic. this is a FORUM. and this is MNML.nl.
Maybe because we talked this through a fantastrillion times already? :roll:
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
Alphajuno
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Alphajuno »

hydrogen wrote: At the end of the day what does it really matter? Minimal? Maximal? Techno? They are all just words that describe nothing..
Exactly.