how technological is techno?

- ask away
Farabee
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Farabee »

s.k. wrote:and ok, i agree it was innovative back in the day to sample 60's ska/dub to make hiphop, or to sample house and make hard-techno out of it, or ____you name any other variation where you sample one style to make another___.

but sooner or later things come to a point where theres not many styles left unsampled, and those variations come to an end. then eventually someone has to invent a new sound. this is innovation in my book. if you feel different about it im fine with that, to each his own...

that said, techno was very technological. and where is it today?
There's nothing to say you can't create new sounds from base samples. Layering, processing, you can create much expression from sampling if you work at it. If you're talking about people who sample whole pieces of tracks, then fine. But folks who do field recording are just as innovative as anything you do with complex hardware and software.

As for your statement, if you're trying to say that you should have to get a degree in engineering to write techno...no.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

[quote="s.k."]anything sample-based will never be cutting edge/innovative.[/quote]

What about Akufen, Villalobos, Hawtin, Prefuse 73, Squarepusher, Aphex Twin and all the artists on foundsound and Archipel? are they not cutting edge?

I can't think of much music i do like without samples.
sauce
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sauce »

I think Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew" is more "technological" than any "techno" I've ever heard! :lol:

For simply the most advanced music, I think glitchcore like Venetian Snares kind of takes the cake. Also, darkwave like d0wnload and technical metal like Meshuggah.
..::ArenaRockForAndroids::..

http://soundcloud.com/danieklerr
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

im glad at least some ppl understood me... but yes its my fault for expressing what i meant very poorly. i will try to explain...

By 'sample-based' i didnt mean just anything that uses samples. I meant using samples for the foundation of the tracks, what makes a track belong to a style/genre. Ofcourse using filed-recordings is innovative, and ofcourse Akufen and the rest you said are innovative. But all of them used samples for the 'filling' of the tracks, and made the beat themselves (in one way or another).

To make it a bit clearer so that we all speak the same language, heres some theory. Arrangement has a few elements - Foundation (kick, bass); Rhythm (what plays counter to the foundation), Lead, Pad, Solo, Break. While they may change in different genres, the most important of them stay the same. Needless to say, the Foundation of a track is what most clearly defines a style in electronic music.

So by saying "sample-based" i meant using a sampled/ready-made foundation for a track. I could care less if one uses samples for a lead, rhythm or whatever other arrangement element, that has no relation whatsoever to whether the product is innovative or not. Given todays tools, its more than easy to mangle stuff beyond recognition, even if its sampled from another track in the same genre. Except for one element, and thats the most important (and hardest to create). The Foundation. Due to its highly harmonic content it can only be mangled so much before its worthless. Its what drives a track. So when you sample that, you gotta leave it (less or more) in its original state. Then you become a copycat. This is what i called a 'samplist'. These are the bandwagon jumpers. The flooders. You name it. Its what makes a style die.

Offtopic, but maybe not quite: many people confuse Arrangement with Sequencing. Its a tricky territory due to the constant changing nature of electronic music. Arrangement is not about what follows what in a track (chorus, bridge, verse...). Arrangemet is what fills space in any given moment of the track, or those basic elements mentioned above. Some of them are not always strictly defined. But one is.

So in a brief summary (edit- only in my book ofcourse :) ):
Innovative - newly, freshly designed foundation. And i will dare to say, this is what minimal is all about. peace
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

Hey Steevio, i used to play alot of Jimi too... there was a track he used to sing... wasnt it sth like that?:

There must be some kind of way outa here,
Said the sound-designer to the thief,
Theres too much confusion,
I cant get no relief...
Samplists, they drink my wine,
Come and dig my earth...

ah nevremind me im just being nostalgic :lol: :lol: :lol:
punchi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by punchi »

I think that besides the technology, nowadays producers are striving more for originality and innovative song structures and new ideas...rather than top notch producing skills or what not. Of course though, most of these new ideas go hand in hand with cutting edge technology most of the time...
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

It's only as technical as you make it.
A simple drum machine (ex: Alesis SR-16) + a $50 Yamaha PortaSound synthesizer recorded to an Iriver or minidisc can be some killer techno or house.
People can also spend thousands on the latest Apple computer with Ableton Live and all of the fancy new plugins and never get anything accomplished.
It's all about the groove and whether you can get people into yours.
:)
milc
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by milc »

trak660 wrote:It's only as technical as you make it.
A simple drum machine (ex: Alesis SR-16) + a $50 Yamaha PortaSound synthesizer recorded to an Iriver or minidisc can be some killer techno or house.
People can also spend thousands on the latest Apple computer with Ableton Live and all of the fancy new plugins and never get anything accomplished.
It's all about the groove and whether you can get people into yours.
:)
true.

i heard that Mika Vainio recorded all his stuff in MD recorder while playing live, one take.
not even a multi tracker!