Getting gigs..... tips.

- open
milc
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by milc »

Red Kite wrote: Unless you're friends with everyone the only thing that really helps is getting some releases that are as much cliche undeground mainstream as possible, best on some Berlin-based label. Good luck anyway.
hmmm...
bshosa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by bshosa »

berlin is a hard piece of cake, my experiance says :
be friends with everyone ( llike eg. red robin ;) )
get to be a part of some serious popular community movement (like bar25, beatstreet, gmt used to be ;) )
bring some recs out to knock everybody down
get yourself a booker/promoter (most of them are girls, so be just a good fucker ;) )
don't forget to invite everyone you meet for a line of coco and have always sth on your pocket
create a legend behind your name - nobody knows you but u were a huge influence on early plastikman works ;)

joke

go your way, spread your sound, and use your chances.
nobody knows the relations betwenn a success in berlin and relationships, skills, talent and self marketing - mix the tools.
pre-amp tango
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pre-amp tango »

how some people i know got gigs:

- produce & release
- start your own record label
- start your own party series, be persistent, work your ass off
- get to know the right people
- work in a booking agency ;)
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Start a night in another city then do gig swaps with DJ's in Berlin. Best to have friends in the other city who want to do the promotion for your night.

Works for me.
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

haha, these cliches apply to too many people I know. The most successful way I have seen is to be a socialite and then starts learning to dj. Since berlin is a cheap place to live, it is not very difficult for many to lvie off their parents money or scam the welfare system (or both) to pay for everything and let them coast along. Others get an internship with a club. The topic of playing does not come along well until after said person has schmoozed with everyone. Get a few people sorted in the club with entrance or drinks. dont worry about the real players, you need rapport with the groupie types. All of this will lead to some bullshit afterhours in a flat set where you can blow everyone away with your charm and skills.

The others I know maintain presence in the social scene of the people earning gigs. These guys actually have some talent and form their own taste and consequently needed quite some time to start getting the sh!t gigs and whatever breaks to then start playing real clubs and parties or even traveling. The largely mediocre local heros do not have the vision much further than berlin.

Others earn recognition through releasing tracks, oftne paying their dues and climbing hte ladder with net labels. And then there are the instant party drug dealers or promoters, which i cannot fault, because you at least have the chance to earn some money to support yourself.

I dont think it is fair to fault those that have gotten success through efforts like bar 25 or beatstreet. Though biased as I worked with both, those guys all put all of their heart and energy into making whatever they are now. The bar 25 guys live at the ranch! A guy named empro saved the very amazing beatstreet party with richie and ricardo with having equipment available when the rental rig had fucked amp at the last moment.

YOu get out 10x what you put in. There is too much talent (good and bad) here to simply sit back behind a cd and wait. Even if you are that good, so are 538723 other people that will fill the floor with their name. It is an entertainment industry, no different than casting movie stars for feature films
freeeeeee
Farabee
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Farabee »

That's why a lot of music in this scene is disposable crap.

Most poeple get into it solely because they want more gigs. Myself included. :oops:

Honestly, I love playing out...but unless you get a few high-profile productions nobody will book you.
Alphajuno
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Alphajuno »

As expected...

Unfortunaltey i dont have parents money i can live off.

I gave up drugs a few years ago.

I spend FAR too much time in front of sequencers in order to develop a social life. I dont know anybody in Berlin in the 'scene' despite being here for 2 years.....

On occasion i venture out to hear one good DJ bang it out over a decent sound system. The problem is there are usually 3 or more others doing a terrible job. I think i can do better.

I love producing, i miss performing.
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

You gotta change something, because unless what you do in the studio is fucking amazing, nobody is going to ask for you - they dont know you exist. Were you expecting anything differnt?
freeeeeee