How does the new Tresor compare?

- open
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

Okay, to be honest I dont go to berghain, so if it is 12 euro, so it is, but you are at least paying for better sound systems and dare I say on average better music. Berghains acoustics are as shitty as tresors, but funktion one is still funktion one and vibrating air ducts are really preventable.

You should try being less of a consumer more often. I do pay for some parties, but I've paid my dues and have put enough energy into this subculture, that it is bound to happen that sometimes I am somebodys guest. I know how this game works, and expect as much out of others as I do myself.

I am still quite happy that tresor exists. That crowd has their place and they can stay out of mine. I visited weekend for hte first time in ages this past friday and have the same feelings for that club. Cavemen and coked up business students all need their own stomping ground.
freeeeeee
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

See your point, but what place does that leave then in Berlin? Every club sucks in its own way...

I gave up on the idea on having a regular club and just go wherever some good artists or friends are playing, be it Tresor, Berghain, Wtaergate, Arena or whatever, but there's certainly nothing like a perfect club in Berlin.
"In my life I widened a lot of holes!" (Jeff Milligan, talking about slipmats)
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

Obviously no place is or can be perfect, but I do not understand why berlin as a whole does not try to realize its potential more. MY critics are always done on a hopefully measurable ground.
freeeeeee
nubianmindz
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nubianmindz »

Der geile Ami wrote:Obviously no place is or can be perfect, but I do not understand why berlin as a whole does not try to realize its potential more. MY critics are always done on a hopefully measurable ground.
what exactly do u mean by 'realize it's potential more'?

do u mean get all glitzy & shiny like a lot of the big clubs in the uk/ibiza???

surely that would be a bad thing?

or have I completely missed your point?

damn,that's a lot of questions!

:)
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

As the gossip goes Tresor club is saving up money to be able to buy a big new sound system for the Batterieraum next year that will be at least on the level of the Berghain pa so the sound trouble on the big floor only seems temporarely.
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

nubianmindz wrote:
Der geile Ami wrote:Obviously no place is or can be perfect, but I do not understand why berlin as a whole does not try to realize its potential more. MY critics are always done on a hopefully measurable ground.
what exactly do u mean by 'realize it's potential more'?

do u mean get all glitzy & shiny like a lot of the big clubs in the uk/ibiza???
Oh man, no way. For me its not about how shiny some place is, but more about how clever one is working within the architecture. Hanging chandeliers in a beatup room is not that. Painting the walls is not that. What impresses me is seeing before and after pictures and not believing I am seeing hte same space, while maintaining a minimal aesthetic. The more striking a room might be, the worse the acoustics usually are, and it is rare anyone tries to do anything about that. From my own experience, improving acoustics means visual changes that may or may not combine well with the architecture. The upstairs at watergate is hte best example I can think of. They went through several changes before coming up with the current design, which finally makes the room a bit more comfortable. Dancing on wood would make this nicer, but this would lower the already low ceiling height. I am biased, but I think the arena club has also done a good job at mixing old industrial and new ideas. A lot of what looks original is not. The last wmf location also made a nice mix.

Tresor will have to do a lot more work than just a new pa to make the battereiraum an enjoyable listening experience. They will not get favorable results if they follow the trend and put in some line array. They will have to spend some major coin to make that room what it could be, and it would probably transform or destroy the comparison to globus. However, that would mean evolving and working with the architecture of hte room, of which I am always in favor.

beyond how a place looks and sounds and how guests are guided to interact with each other, not enough to expand on what hte party experience could be. This ranges from the presentation of the music to what opportunities guests have to interact with the venue. Getting lost in the hallways is not the interaction I am looking for, because once you visit some place a couple times, the hallways become known. At the very least, make the sitting areas comfortable and traffic flow smooth. As for the presentation, could we evolve past the dj booth to something that offers greater possibilites without becoming a typical rock stage? The room often dictates where these limits are, but there are too many examples of where the music source becomes a seemingly last minute decision.
freeeeeee
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

I just find it really funny that you guys are complaining about the club situation in Berlin. Even a less popular venue like club Maria would be a godsend in the United States or other less fortunate countries.
Red Kite
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Red Kite »

Der geile Ami wrote: The upstairs at watergate is hte best example I can think of. They went through several changes before coming up with the current design, which finally makes the room a bit more comfortable.
I liked the old design of the floor with the dj stage on the left side much more than the new one. And the stupid lights just get on your nerves after a couple of visits. 15th floor even imitated the new design. Completely ridiculous!
Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote:I just find it really funny that you guys are complaining about the club situation in Berlin. Even a less popular venue like club Maria would be a godsend in the United States or other less fortunate countries.
I see your point, but the problem in Berlin is that there's so many wasted possibilities, so much nose-in-the-air-attitude in the crowd and in the party organizers that you always have in mind what everything could be if people just wanted it to be.

The problem that everybody wants to make it in Berlin, every artist moving to Berlin, everybody pretending to be a cool artist knowing everybody else just intensifies that problem, often turning parties in snobby artists & friends only events. And if you open up the parties to everybody, like Tresor does, again people are complaining that all the proles who got turned away at the other venues gather there.

And the worst thing: It's not about the music at all. People are either too drugged to care about the music or they are just on the parties to hang out with their cool friends (probably some artists who moved to Berlin) and pretend to be important.

Stupid elitarian thinking basically ruined the club culture in Berlin. It's all just a waste!