- ask away
sauce
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sauce »

Ruso wrote:it does lack in effects and also sound quality
Absolutely.

My contention is:

First, it spanks the EMX and sends it to bed with no dinner.

Second, it has live sample-manipulating capabilities that supercedes most software.

Off topic: While we're on the topic of live manipulation, has anyone here seen the Reaktor video with Exile? Kind of blew my head up..

http://www.native-instruments.com:80/in ... lemovie_de
..::ArenaRockForAndroids::..

http://soundcloud.com/danieklerr
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

sauce wrote: How about if you are using seven or eight samples and you want to change the pitch of ALL of them gradually.
excuse me i have hangover this morning but, how do you do this on the esx? thx.
sauce
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sauce »

s.k. wrote:how do you do this on the esx?
Well, there are a couple of options.. First, there is Transpose, which will pitch everything. I'm not sure if Ableton has a "global" transpose, as I have never tried tp find one. More specifically, there is individual sample pitch in the Part Common section. Now, I know Ableton allows you to adjust pitch in the tools to the left of your samples, however, the key to my statement was that the ESX will "snap" back into position with the start of the next sequence, which is handy.

I guess (bringing this all back on topic) my point is that the EMX is much like any other "groovebox". It is fun at first, rather gimicky, sounds cheap and gets old quick. The ESX on the other hand, while you don't want it to be your only piece, can be a fully-functional, specialized addition to any studio.

s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

hangover still in effect here :x so not quite sure i understand you.

Transposing is only for the keyboard parts no? So how do you mean it will pitch everything? And the individual sample pitch in the common section is just that - its individual. So once again - How are you going to change the pitch of 7-8 samples simultaneously?
Ruso
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ruso »

it is only for keyboard parts ;)

btw in case you guys are wondering I've been working with the midi EMX uses for quite some time now, and I was actually thinking about starting a project which would bypass the emx sound modules completely but through midi with ableton create a combination project that will be first of all a live set and a program alongside of it which will basically incorporate all the midi "navigation" and translate it to manipulate parameters...

basically u'd be using the EMX as normal but I could tweak different things on it to add functionality.... like for example separate effects chains for each synth part, and sample based drums.....

if I end up doing this I will probably eventually do the same thing for the esx....

the only thing is I also kind of want to get into hardware and buying a cheap micro controller to make my own midi utilities/ devices.... I just can't decide what project I want to do more....

anyways I think a LOT of people would appreciate a better EMX/ESX ;).
Ruso
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ruso »

ps... sauce, you should mess arround with live more, I think you underestimate it.... changing the pitch of any ammount of samples in live simotaniously would be as simple as midi mapping transpose knobs ;)

the hands on editing is nice like we've already established but with some work and some creative thinking you CAN create a drag and drop sample interface which is controlled completely by the ESX within live.... with the same onboard controlls and buttons.... you could do some cooler sh!t with fx too.

as you can tell this is my goal in my setup too.
sauce
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sauce »

No, I don't underestimate Live at all! In fact, it's my main software for a year or so now. And yes, I know it's possible to MIDI map the pitch control of multiple instruments to one controller knob with Live. I did not know that the transpose on the ESX was only for keyboard parts, but I don't use the transpose anyway, I only listed it as a possible option. Also, I know that the pitch of individual samples on the ESX is controlled individually... ONCE AGAIN: My point was not whether or not you could adjust the pitch of multiple samples in Live, it was that the pitch of all of them SNAPS BACK INTO PLACE with the start of the next sequence! The ESX handles this (important for my live style) feat very easily.

I use Live every day. It arranges things in such a way, so many avenues of control, I think it's genius. There are issues, though. The video implementation in Live 6 is crap as of yet, although I love the idea. Also, there are clock and dithering issues. Anybody who has tried to sequence hardware, or even SYNC hardware, with Live know what I am talking about!

Ruso
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ruso »

yea yea...

I started work on the project by the way... check out details on korg forums. I think you'd like it sauce.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=24705