live pa setup

- ask away
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

have a look in the preference, midi tab
under midi clock you can choose between song and pattern, you just have to expand the view of the tab, it's near where you setup midi delay
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

good to know :wink:
but to be honest i'm satisfied with my current setup, it is stable and reliable and it is all i ask
Ruso
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ruso »

hydrogen: I use a crappy sound blaster usb 24 bit.... with asio 4 all I got 8ms delay which is nice but it bugs out sometimes.... also it's got 4 outputs... which could be useful lol but I don't see myself using mre then two...

anyways as for the clicking when you switch presets, use a rack. then switch chains with either a cc (not recommended) or use clips you can set chain select param in them...

anyways have fun.
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

4am sorry for the confusion i was using the hardware terminology...

by "song mode" in Live, i mean having the loop function off, arrangement view yes. so when you have it like this (loop off) but the electribe is looping (pattern mode) at first it is fine, but at some point they go off sync. this is because the slave (either the machine or the soft) does not recieve song position messages. if they are both in song mode, or both looping, it should be fine. at least it is here (with an esx).

edit: huh i just saw the song/pattern sync options in Live sorgernkind was talking about, so yeh i was actually right, you gotta have them set correct, just didnt know until now that Live had that option.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Ruso thats pretty fucking genius... way better anyways since you can load a couple of delays er what ever with that method. Too bad it doesn't get super optimized... some of these vsts/effects constantly use processor.

what are your favored vsts? synth1?
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Ruso
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ruso »

native instruments massive.... I'm a big big big fan of the good ole simpler because you can fck up samples in many many groovy ways....

by the way I have a set with 38 tracks all of them running under 50% cpu power with all extra effects.... I do however use the esx for beats so that saves some cpu power.

We're talking five tracks one per MX channel each one holding at least a copy of massive, or a copy of simpler with a bunch of fx.

I'm only running a 2.8 p4 machine with only 768 megs of ram...

by the way you guys should try to do full improv on the electribes... if you're musical enough you can poduce some wicked stuff if you just get on there and put on a set for yourself or eventually to a friend that has nothing pre recorded.... well maybe a couple beat loops on the esx...

I've been messing arround with this, the results are surprisingly impressive. I guess that's what makes them groove boxes...

it's very possible to do minimal and for example chillout this way, I've been playing arround for a couple days, I managed to tap into my works speaker system yesterday and put on some ambience for my fellow employees at the store ;) (it's not a very big store btw)
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

psycho tracks

Post by hydrogen »

Ruso wrote: by the way I have a set with 38 tracks all of them running under 50% cpu power with all extra effects.... I do however use the esx for beats so that saves some cpu power.

We're talking five tracks one per MX channel each one holding at least a copy of massive, or a copy of simpler with a bunch of fx.
ok so this translates into

~38 NI Massive VST's+effects per track setup on chains? oh and x 5 tracks

Thats psycho. :D

Well i'm still trying to push for more in my pa. I've done different setups where I 4 tracks all my material into small chunks and trigger it with a faderfox. then i can setup a mix between two tracks running 8 tracks total.

Others have been 4 tracks audio/4 tracks synths. which seemed to be a better balance but honestly too much going on to manage the mixing.
I'm looking drop down to 3 tracks audio/3 track synths + drum machine.

I love the concept of having that extra machine there live. I have experimented using my mpd to record live drum parts, this actually works pretty well, but havn't really used it in a live setting yet.

Ruso, your setup is so big! how can you bring that all on the plane? I've put all my gear in a custom suitcase. :) (foam still needs work)

http://picasaweb.google.com/dan.blah/Su ... 9067099170
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Ruso
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ruso »

my setup is big yes, but only because my lap top fried... and I don't travel to play. You don't make any money traveling and playing electronic music... but yes besides my fucked up lap top I have a bag that fits both of my electribes. my kaoss pad, alll the power supplies and then all I need is my lap top.