Kick And Bass

- ask away
juanm2t
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by juanm2t »

fredrik_h wrote:
milc wrote:
fredrik_h wrote:of curiosity, how many of you apply the 0db kick rule?
what the hell is that?
some people states that you (because of mathematical vs. audio reasons in some way) should keep your bassdrums at 0db. this is more of a commerical-music thing maybe, I don't know.
well i do not know much mathematical wave things...but somethime just try to get the best just from your ears...ear works better than machimes sometimes...well for me most of the times....this is what musicians now days are losing (ears), they just let machines do most of the work is not bad to do this...but human skills are much better than machime skills (alsmost everytime)
Alphajuno
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Alphajuno »

It depends on your track/bassline

You only need to use a sidechain if the kick and bass are sounding at the same time unless your using it as an effect.

EQ is the key. Remove everything thing below 30hz, i find it really brings the bass out, yes. out. Once use a pand pass EQ with a low Q to find the place the kick is the most prominent by sweeping across with a high gain. Then the place where it sounds sh!t is what you need to remove. When you get it sounding right you will know. Take off as much top end as you can so you leave room for other stuff.

Bit of compression can bring out the snap in the bass.

Oh and you need to be sure about your monitors/room when being so precises at these kind of frequencys.
Gareth_T
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Gareth_T »

Great informationg, thx guys, helped me alot...

I use some standard crappy speakers anyway... as of this i use a live eq analyser to see where the freq's are now... working whole lot better

I make sure the low end stuff aren't too high in volume too....
Techelon
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Techelon »

ok this info is interesting, but someone can, tell me how to do in cubase sx, i see that a lot off movies posted here are, ableton, how to with hardware,.... I think a lot off people only produce digital for example radio slave do it pc digitally (love it). :lol:
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

Techelon

Cubase isnt the easiest program set up a sidechain, if found out how on this link.......

http://www.dogsonacid.com/showthread.ph ... 1&cache=10

Theres a free vst but I use the sonalksis which was a good buy....

Try sidechaining a contunual freaky chord using the kick, play about with the A & R, with low threshold and you can make some interesting effets....

Have fun...
Techelon
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Techelon »

yeah mnmltechnohouse thx for the good advice :D
earle
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by earle »

a really simple way if they clash is just to automate the volume of the bass to drop slightly when then kick plays - just draw it in manually. or automate an eq.
provaznik
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by provaznik »

earle wrote:a really simple way if they clash is just to automate the volume of the bass to drop slightly when then kick plays - just draw it in manually. or automate an eq.
yeah that is basically a quasi manual side chain compression if i am not mistaken.