open letter regarding file sharing from monolake

- ask away
Christ
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Christ »

plaster wrote:
Christ wrote:If you can`t afford music, you have no right to take for free. People complain
about music being expensive, people bought records in Chicago/Detroit/Berlin etc 10-15years ago.

People really should start to respect music more.

point taken, but times changed alot and now when you can get almost everything for free, it's no wonder noone gives a fck. sad tho. most people don't see music as an artform anymore.
I did not intend to attack your post, just a general observation.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

Christ wrote:
plaster wrote:
Christ wrote:If you can`t afford music, you have no right to take for free. People complain
about music being expensive, people bought records in Chicago/Detroit/Berlin etc 10-15years ago.

People really should start to respect music more.

point taken, but times changed alot and now when you can get almost everything for free, it's no wonder noone gives a fck. sad tho. most people don't see music as an artform anymore.
I did not intend to attack your post, just a general observation.
ur lucky that i didn't manage to read it. :wink:
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

New Guy wrote:althou this might not be totaly on topic but i think it has a close connection to this thread.

David Bowie New York Times 2002.

"I don't even know why I would
want to be on a label in a few years, because I don't think it's going to
work by labels and by distribution systems in the same way," he said.
"The
absolute transformation of everything that we ever thought about music
will
take place within 10 years, and nothing is going to be able to stop it. I
see absolutely no point in pretending that it's not going to happen. I'm
fully confident that copyright, for instance, will no longer exist in 10
years, and authorship and intellectual property is in for such a
bashing."

"Music itself is going to become like running water or electricity," he
added. "So it's like, just take advantage of these last few years because
none of this is ever going to happen again. You'd better be prepared for
doing a lot of touring because that's really the only unique situation
that's going to be left. It's terribly exciting. But on the other hand it
doesn't matter if you think it's exciting or not; it's what's going to
happen."

The whole interview: http://babellist.xnet2.com/0206/msg00035.html
oh yeah, i had a talk with a friend about that today. it will definetly happen like that.
Christ
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Christ »

plaster wrote:ur lucky that i didn't manage to read it. :wink:
?

I was referring to the first post I made, that you thought were meant for you:
plaster wrote:point taken, but times changed alot and now when you can get almost everything for free, it's no wonder noone gives a fck. sad tho. most people don't see music as an artform anymore.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

oh. okay!
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

Wow, there's on thing on the post by Henke that almost made me spit out my coffee...

The guy's alias is Maurizio? What the hell? Is this kinda attitude supposed to be an act of appreciation?
adam
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by adam »

People steal music because it's convenient.

There is nothing convenient about buying records. Not one bit. You have to leave your house/studio/whatever... or WAIT for an order to come in.

Yes, going to a record shop can be fun.. but if you have little time and know what you want - it's gotta be available instantly digitally otherwise it's understandable that people are going to steal it.

The other thing is that even shopping online isn't always painless and efficient... and more specifically, credit cards and banking and all of that are way behind when you consider how advanced we are otherwise... people can think and move around the web quicker than they can purchase things. While this might be good for recovering spendaholics, nobody should have to do any work to buy an album. I think in most cases, it really is less work to steal.

"But don't you want to support the artist!?" - my answer: a lot of good people do want to support the artist. But a lot more just want their damned recorded output so they can love it for themselves. People don't buy BMWs to support BMW. They just want the car. And same with most people - they just want the music.

If there are people out there who want the product and have money for it, you're only going to get a fraction of them to actually purchase unless it (the process of purchasing) involves absolutely no work. People are lazy today. Even filling in a quick form with credit card info and the like is annoying.

File sharing has it's appeal - let's forget about the "free" factor for a moment though. Generally speaking, you type in what you want, find someone who has a good bitrate and connection and you double click... and not even that much work if you are less picky. And in some cases, people in the file sharing community are nice enough to organize things.. by artist and label and in one fell swoop, a person can aquire an entire catalog of a particular label. Scary? Yes, maybe. But all I see is convenience.. and I ahve never truly seen this in the legal online or retailer world. Not to mention the fact that stores (online or brick and mortar) don't always have everything or carry releases from a particular label, etc, whereas the file sharing community is limited only by it's participants.

Hats off to people like beatport and other similar distribution services... I do think we still have a lot of work to do though...
kans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kans »

Next time you're walking down the street and see a guy in a BMW stopped at a red light, just go and open his door (double click his user name) and then double click his face with your fist and take his car... its the same thing... no worries :roll: