perfect arrangement

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: perfect arrangement

Post by steevio »

steevio wrote: if i want to use alot of 5/4 and 3/4 in a tune, then i use a 15 / 30 / 60 bar grid, it makes everything more organic, and the changes in the tune happen at supprising and interesting places.
reading this back it sounds like i'm advocating the use of grids, which is misleading. i only very loosely adhere to them. IMO its useful to have some sort of basic structure to a tune to give it shape, it just doesnt always have to be 16 / 32 etc.
i improvise everything i do live, so once ive pressed the record button, i'm on my own anyway, but with a few interesting mathmatical structures in the background, i'm freed up to be more experimental with my improvising.
everyone just has to find their own way of doing things, and this works for me.
Randomseed
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: perfect arrangement

Post by Randomseed »

skept wrote:how important is it to you that your tracks are perfectly arranged?

for example(s):

the number of bars is a multiple of 16

major changes happen exactly at 64 or 128 or...

the track has a 32 bar intro a 128 bar main section and a 32 bar outro or something very well aligned like that

you get my drift i think...
Deja Vu, we just had this conversation.
To keep it short, major drum changes on even multiples of the 8
atmosphere changes on evens of any kind.
Breaks and sh!t, do what you want, what works for the track.
Intros dont have to make sence to a dj, as long as they have SOMETHING to match with the intros dont get mixed anyways.
And most importantly - BREAK ALL OF THESE RULES.
nuff 'said
mazi
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mazi »

In my opinion music should have no boundaries or limits. Although there`s certain things that should be kept in mind when producing an electronic tune but I personally never limit my production to do the major things on any specific bar, I drop things whenever i feel is most appropriate. And let`s not forget that we are here to improve the beats not do what has been done for past decades.
Using spices is always nice!! good luck
northernlight
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by northernlight »

arrangment is one of the reasons i love hardware sequencers and stuff like ableton live.

as soon as i got all the main parts for a tune together, i start to jamm around and try out some arrangements. when i see what parts are working i record the arrangment "live". that way i get an arrangment that fits with the parts that i'm using at is not just arranged by numbers.

funnly i still get some of the numbers like, small breakdowns at 65, major change at 129 etc.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

Arrangement shouldn't feel scientific when you hear it even though there is a certain science to it. Where the changes happen isn't so important as long as you keep building. What i hear in a lot of minimal that i think is a mistake is people easing back down into changes. The only real tip that seems to be common in most hits is that changes should be built in to. When a change happens it should be drastic, that's what seems to work on the dancefloor.
As for placement:
It all depends on the content. If you are using 4 bar (melodic) loops anything that drones on beyond 16 bars without a change becomes boring to most listeners. If you are using 8 bar (Melodic) loops you can probably get away with longer than 16 bars without a change but some times it will become boring too depending on the content and the drums. I find it's susally best to think in terms of 8 bar loops, even a small change can keep it interesting.
Now you could sit here and say "I don't believe that there should be any rules and you should change wherever you like" that sounds all artsy fartsy and nice but let's be honest for a minute, we're making tracks for dj's for the most part and they require a somewhat orderly arrangement in general. They will make up their own arrangements while they mix.
Bottom line on arrangement:
You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh!t. Arrangement will always just happen right if the content of the track is hott. If the arrangemment is giving you trouble then it's probably because the content itself needs work.
bodysong
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bodysong »

Torque wrote: You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sht.
marc houle can. 8)

nah just kidding. chicken shits are full of Salmonella and are dangerous to your health­.
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

You don't have to stick to 16, 32, 64 but you should at least stick to the 4s or 8s. Go ahead, offer up the excuse that its predictable and trite, but I hear plenty of amazing music that follows formulas of the rules of 4. I think that excuse is a crock of sh!t.

Also, the easier a record is to play...the more often a DJ will play it. If you're making music based for DJs I think it's somewhat important to at least meet in the middle of being DJ friendly and being daring and interesting. If you don't like to have DJs play your records all the time, then use any random arrangement you'd like. DJs are lazy....DEAL WITH IT!

Plus, I have a lot of amazing tracks that start off very stripped down and basic and evolve into monstorous tracks with elaborate edits and breaks that are nearly impossible to mix from, but they also feature outros that make mixing easier. So my general rule of thumb, the middle is your playground, the beginning and end is for the DJ.

I've released over a dozen records and get play from top DJs so I'm not just a bedroom producer with a thumb up my ass and an obsession for Ableton. If the advice helps you out...great! If not, sorry.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote:You don't have to stick to 16, 32, 64 but you should at least stick to the 4s or 8s. Go ahead, offer up the excuse that its predictable and trite, but I hear plenty of amazing music that follows formulas of the rules of 4. I think that excuse is a crock of sht.

Also, the easier a record is to play...the more often a DJ will play it. If you're making music based for DJs I think it's somewhat important to at least meet in the middle of being DJ friendly and being daring and interesting. If you don't like to have DJs play your records all the time, then use any random arrangement you'd like. DJs are lazy....DEAL WITH IT!
i wouldnt deny that there is plenty of amazing music based on 4's and 8's, but theres also a whole world of music out there that isnt, just as there's a whole world of music that doesnt adhere to the western scale. my argument is that we are always limiting ourselves in electronic dance music by not experimenting in these areas, when infact we have a blank canvass to try absolutely anything.
why for instance are we hooked to the patterns of the rock drumkit ? the offbeat hi-hat, the snares on beats 2 and 4 etc. theres no reason.
the usual argument is 'well it works'. yes it works, but what else might work if you venture away from the obvious. this is how music progresses, can you imagine how sterile tribal drumming would sound if for thousands of years it had never progressed beyond 2's, 4's and 8's.?
before i started making electronic music i was first a drummer, then a guitarist, i used to love the blues. for years i was fascinated with the techniques of the original blues guitarists. now i can hardly listen to blues, because overiding the soul of the music, is a basic unchanging mathematics , the same intros and outros, the pentatonic scales, the same keys, the 12 bar loops etc etc, its a music trapped in time by its own rigid structure. it took people like jimi hendrix to move the music on by using unusal time signatures, and sound creation techniques.
when i started making electronic music, i did what everybody else did, 4's, 8's 16's 32's, 4/4 kicks, offbeat hats, and loved it, but now that sounds as tired and dated as the blues did when i binned my guitar.
i'm passionate about moving electronic dance music forward, so that it doesnt become trapped in time and stiffled by its own structure.
if you take away the textures and the frills, the underlying mathmatics is repeating the same few basic patterns over and over.

the argument that DJ's are lazy just doesnt wash I'm afraid. BAD dj's are lazy. most of the DJ's I know are dedicated individuals who know their music inside out, and are skilled enough to mix virtually anything (within reason). i'm a DJ as well as a producer, and i play the music i think is quality and original, regardless of its ease of mixing (again within reason).
as long as you dont go out of your way to actually make it difficult, you shouldnt be limiting yourself because of the ineptitude of some DJ's.
the tunes i play the most are the ones which have a timeless quality, regardless of whether theyve got a 32 bar intro or not.
i totally agree that minimal intros and outros are almost essential, but that doesnt mean they have to adhere to a strict system of 8's and 16's etc.
i'm not going to say how many records i've released or who plays them, it's irrellevant, it will suffice to say that i'm still here, and havent been rejected by the electronic dance community for being in any way experimental with my arrangements, sorry for the long rant.