Why vinyl can't survive

- open
highmel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by highmel »

Sound quality:
I make my DJ sets with ableton & mp3 + efx & melodies (´remix DJ)
i wanna say, i only use 320 kbps Mp3s, but when i finished my set, and the next DJ starts spinning with real vinyl, there is always a minimalicious sound quality boom: VINYL sounds better, not so digital and clean - more "warm" i would call it. Good for the techno basses...
Can recomment this Pokersite/-school:
diefenwald
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by diefenwald »

vinyl you can resell.......
seth
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by seth »

my only problem with vinyl is the weight. i buy every track i really love on wax, but for traveling, vinyl fucking suck. i dont know how many of you have gone on a world tour with a 60kl dj bag, let me tell you it fucking sucks. vinyl sound better and is better, it just a bitch the lug around. ive had serato for about 4 months and i like it. i can go to a show with 1500 songs. 1500! it allows me to go more places and play for an endless amount of time.
if thing don't progress, will the future truly come
svenlito
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by svenlito »

seth wrote:my only problem with vinyl is the weight. i buy every track i really love on wax, but for traveling, vinyl fucking suck. i dont know how many of you have gone on a world tour with a 60kl dj bag, let me tell you it fucking sucks. vinyl sound better and is better, it just a bitch the lug around. ive had serato for about 4 months and i like it. i can go to a show with 1500 songs. 1500! it allows me to go more places and play for an endless amount of time.

woord !!
Nic Synaes
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Nic Synaes »

mut-ein wrote:vinyl you can resell.......
That is a bloody great point - and not something I have ever thought of before! Not that I ever wanna sell my collection, but with MP3, wow I can't!
revy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by revy »

for that warm vinyl sound, aren't there enough plug-ins to get similar results?? i suppose that doesnt matter to vinyl purists anyway though.

plus i would think the extra steps taken during the mastering process before cutting to vinyl would make the bigger difference anyways, just put the same effort into a digital release and the difference should be neglible.

i started with vinyl and still am nostalgic for it's hands on feel and physical presence, but there's too many downsides for the format right now thats making me switch to digital:
size/weight: I'm moving to japan so the records are staying home with mom
cost: i live in idaho, nearest record store is 6 hour drive away, they don't have what i like to play anyway, and ordering online having them shipped is way too expensive when i could get 2-3 times as much music from beatport or kompakt.
ableton: mixing with ableton has become a lot more engaging, as i can mix as many tracks as i want at once, record my own loops live, run plug-ins, and my crate is limited only by my hard drive space. the possibilities are endless whereas with vinyl it can be mind boggling trying to beatmatch 3-4 records at once and make it sound decent
lcaise
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lcaise »

Sorry guys, I don't have high-level skills to say it in english, so mayby someone translate ...

Tak więc wkurwia mnie całe zajście z mp3 - prowadzi to tylko i wyłącznie do tego, ze numer wyprodukowany miesiac temu jest gówno wartym starociem a granie go na imprezie przynosi wstyd.
Oczywiscie winyl ma mase wad, jak chociażby wspomniana wcześniej waga nośnika, lecz jest to 'coś', jest to materialna rzecz, rekwizyt, natomiast mp3 to tylko ciąg zerojedynkowego gówna. Mozesz go miec na HDD, zaraz za chwile wymazać i zapomnieć. Nigdy dj jadący tylko z mp3 nie będzie dla mnie prawdziwym dj'em, co za tym idzie być moze nie będzie juz wielu prawdziwych dji niebawem. Jest to dla mnie oczywiste, albowiem osoba dja powinna angazować się w to co gra, prezentowac w setach dźwieki które ją poruszyły i zafascynowały. Niestety ciężko fascynować się dźwiękami w cenie 99c za sztuke, kupowanymi hurtowo, w zasadzie codziennie. Wybór płyty winylowej wiąże się z wydaniem określonej sumy, dlatego wygrywają tutaj najlepsze produkcje...wydaje mi sie ze cała pseudo rewolucja i granie z CDR to wynik zalewu badziewiatych produkcji robionych na Fruity Loops'ie i Reasonie. Kiedys tego nie było, to tez nie było tylu zainteresowanych wydawaniem swoich track'ów. Teraz spopularyzowały sie tego typu softy i powstaje masa gówna, które musi mieć gdzieś ujście [czytaj - digital releases]. Wydanie tracka w mp3 to koszt masteringu, wydanie tracka na winylu to mastering, tłoczenie, dystrybucja, magazynowanie i tak dalej.
Tak więc reasumując, jestem przeciwnikiem cdr'ów ale tylko w postaci jedynego źródła dźwieku. Nie neguje tego nosnika, ale powinien to być tylko dodatek do seta z winyli. Mi się granie mp3 kojarzy z niemieckim pseudo-trance [czyli potocznie jazdą] - rzemiosło robione na odpierdal, szybko i bez wyczucia - byle nowe hity zapodawac, bez przyłożenia sie do wyboru kawałków itp. Przykre to jest, że nawet ludzie grający taką muzykę jak minimal, chcą grać tylko z mp3. Jest to droga na łatwizne, bez wyrzeczeń i wkłądu finansowego, które to dwa czynniki my, grający od jakiegoś już czasu, musieliśmy ponieść.

Temat rzeka, nie mam teraz na to siły. Moze jakis polak to przetłumaczy, w każdym razie pozdro :)

Vinyl 4ever :)
facebook.com/lcaise.official
facebook.com/tanztonerecords
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

seth wrote:my only problem with vinyl is the weight. i buy every track i really love on wax, but for traveling, vinyl fucking suck. i dont know how many of you have gone on a world tour with a 60kl dj bag, let me tell you it fucking sucks. vinyl sound better and is better, it just a bitch the lug around. ive had serato for about 4 months and i like it. i can go to a show with 1500 songs. 1500! it allows me to go more places and play for an endless amount of time.
Also now we can't take a record bag as hand-luggage on aircraft when we wanna play abroad. This sucks. What are other people in Europe doing? I'm really reluctant to check a bag of my best party vinyl into the hold.