The Promo Mix

- open
Ciaran_
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ciaran_ »

iainkerr7 wrote:
Ciaran_ wrote:Yeah, but I see the point in playing the newest tracks. If a new track is going to be brilliant for years to come, then you want to buy it and play it as soon as possible...

Same as an old track that is great, you want to get that and play it as soon as you can.. it works both ways, the excitement of getting that new track - new to you anyway - is what I love about buying music
Yes I agree with you but I think within the digital scene their is too much importance on having the beatport top 10 in your playlist, and you find that these kidn of folk steal their music.
Maybe, but you could be tarring all digital dj's with the same brush there, its not that black and white. I bet a lot of people buying vinyl buy the top 5 on juno or whatever...
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

Ciaran_ wrote:
iainkerr7 wrote:
Ciaran_ wrote:Yeah, but I see the point in playing the newest tracks. If a new track is going to be brilliant for years to come, then you want to buy it and play it as soon as possible...

Same as an old track that is great, you want to get that and play it as soon as you can.. it works both ways, the excitement of getting that new track - new to you anyway - is what I love about buying music
Yes I agree with you but I think within the digital scene their is too much importance on having the beatport top 10 in your playlist, and you find that these kidn of folk steal their music.
Maybe, but you could be tarring all digital dj's with the same brush there, its not that black and white. I bet a lot of people buying vinyl buy the top 5 on juno or whatever...
I find it to be a lot more common with digital DJs.

I know that not all digital DJs do this, I am only speaking form my experience in Glasgow.

The only digital DJs here worth going to see are guys who used to play vinyl, the ones who started on digital play the most uninspiring music possible and due to this I have become less and less supportive/understanding of guys playing on digital.

I bet there are tons of folk who are excellent but I just don't see what it offers that vinyl doesn't other than to make life easier.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

iainkerr7 wrote:I bet there are tons of folk who are excellent but I just don't see what it offers that vinyl doesn't other than to make life easier.
Why does it have to offer anything? It's just a different way of playing the music.
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

patrick bateman wrote:
iainkerr7 wrote:I bet there are tons of folk who are excellent but I just don't see what it offers that vinyl doesn't other than to make life easier.
Why does it have to offer anything? It's just a different way of playing the music.
Because people make a choice not to play vinyl, not to support dance music labels, not to take time to get their skills to an adequate level, not to have any risk in their set, not to be individual and not to be techno.

Over 50% of DJs I have met that play on digital, tick one or more of those boxes.

When I think about what 'techno' means to me, and what it meant to people I admire and respect like Jeff Mills, Regis and Dozzy - these are guys who have pushed their sound and embraced new ideas and methods but have stayed true to what they are about.

The opposite is Hawtin, who is a sell out and is a celebrity.

I have no time for celebrity culture and making money, people who play digital more often than not embrace it or it is their motivator.

So yes, it is a different way of playing the music but it is also a different way of approching music and approaching life. I have no interest in it, I don't think it is real, I don't think it is beneficial (to the industry and music fans) and I don't think that people should receive any respect for playing digital.

But if you put up a good mix then I will still enjoy it, because I enjoy good music.
Ciaran_
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ciaran_ »

You're coming across as being pretty angry about this?

Just choose your particular way of doing things. Do it for yourself, fck everybody else. It doesn't really matter at the end of the day what everyone else is doing/thinking, as long as you are staying true to yourself
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

Ciaran_ wrote:You're coming across as being pretty angry about this?

Just choose your particular way of doing things. Do it for yourself, fck everybody else. It doesn't really matter at the end of the day what everyone else is doing/thinking, as long as you are staying true to yourself
Im Scottish :)

Didn't mean to come across as angry, just think that folk playing on digital are doin more harm than good and I feel strongly about it.

word[/b]
Ciaran_
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ciaran_ »

iainkerr7 wrote:
Ciaran_ wrote:You're coming across as being pretty angry about this?

Im Scottish :)

Didn't mean to come across as angry, just think that folk playing on digital are doin more harm than good and I feel strongly about it.

word[/b]
My parents are Scottish I'm used to it :lol:
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

Its been a good discussion! :)